MAFEX DC Comics Figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Diego
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Thank you for those pictures and the review. The figures look great. Batman is at the same time so similar and so different from the promotional pictures. I could never imagine that having the the relief around the batsymbol (in the promotional pictures it is just painted) could make such difference on how the figure looks.

I understand that by having this relief painting is easier from a manufacturing point, but the symbol looks less "clean" than in the promotional pictures. For the black bat of the other versions, it doesn't matter that much, but with the yellow oval it is more blatant.

I'm not a fan of the knife in the belt. I would have preferred a uniform belt. What kind of stand does it include? One (the regular one) or two?

Well, looking forward to have these two in hand and already concerned about how the 4 cape wires will be for my figures.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 am

I still haven’t heard from AmiAmi about paying for this set yet.
TheeCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 am

PJ wrote:I still haven’t heard from AmiAmi about paying for this set yet.
Have to email them. They really are slow lately.

Nice post os189.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:05 am

TheeCollector wrote:

I sat around for two weeks waiting for them to bill me for Gambit, so I finally emailed them asking what the problem was. Two hours later they billed me.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:36 am

TheeCollector wrote: Nice post os189.
Thanks man!
Diego wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:40 pm
I'm not a fan of the knife in the belt. I would have preferred a uniform belt. What kind of stand does it include? One (the regular one) or two?

The set comes with two complete standard MAFEX stands. As far as I can tell, they didn't make one smaller for Robin

Yeah, it's an odd choice that they went for with the knife in the belt. It shows that they have their hands on ALL the source material, cause as far as I know, that belt only appeared in the special frontispiece from the first collected edition. And to make it even stranger, he had the black bat symbol in that pic!

The thigh belt itself appears at the end of book one and the beginning of book two, so I definitely think it's cool to have, but of course it would be better if it were removable.

So the fact that the designers are so familiar with the book just makes the bat symbol that much more baffling. It really stands out to me as the only part of all of these figures that aren't super accurate to the book.

Even so, I still like these the best. Obviously better than the old DC Direct "statue" figures, and light years beyond Mattel's lazy attempts built on leftover He-Man bodies. I also find the upcoming McFarlane figures pretty awful, but I can understand why they'd be appealing for $25 as opposed to $80 or so if you're not a mega-fan.

I think the only thing these figures lack are the firearms, really. Joker should have had a pistol, and I really miss the leg holster/gun on black Batman. Of course, anyone that's read the book knows that Batman's guns aren't really "guns"....well, except for that one scene when he uses the gigantic machine gun on the mutant.

One other thing I miss from the Mezco figures is the big seam lines on the gloves and boots....I just thought those looked cool. The Mezco heads are looking pretty weak now in comparison, but overall, they're still amazing figures, especially considering One:12 was still experimental at the time. Funny how that Batman was the very first one and still holds up as one of the best of all time.

But even Mezco didn't get the oval symbol right. The one that was released almost looks like a 1966 Bat-symbol. They had it right on their very first promotional images, but obviously the toy didn't come out like that:

PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:25 am

TheeCollector wrote:

Nice post os189.
I was going to do that this morning, but the payment request was sent to me around 1am last night. Thanks
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:27 pm

So for anyone who has both the first Mafex DKR Batman and the latest, is it possible to do a leg swap? So the pegs match at the crotch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diego
Super Poseable

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 pm

@os189 I agree with many of your good points. Due to the gun ban there's no possibility to have the rifle or gun (even if they were grappling-rifle and grappling-gun) seen in the comic. Mezco's DKR version also had the other grappling hook with rope (plus, their glued-batarangs hands, which were great) and I miss the seam lines too. I sold my Mezco because I was never into the head sculpts. Considering MAFEX sculpt and wired cape, I don't regret switching the Mezco for the Mafex. Of course best scenario would have been keeping all figures, but I had to adapt my collection.

I also agree about the Miller-esque yellow oval symbol. I think that in the MAFEX promotional pictures the bat is less stylized (at least the head in the symbol seem to be wider). It's a very subtle change, but it makes a big difference. Miller's bat in the oval is thicker, as his batman is bulkier. The bat takes the whole oval, the head is sometimes sorter. Miller tends to to be "consistent" from picture to picture, but this yellow oval looks too "canon" for me, too '89, while Miller's designs tend to have a larger black bat on the yellow oval.

It's a great figure, in any case. Thanks again for the pictures and the insights.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm

panther10 wrote:
So for anyone who has both the first Mafex DKR Batman and the latest, is it possible to do a leg swap? So the pegs match at the crotch?

I think it's possible, especially if you just applied a little heat. I'm not gonna go ripping it apart though!

Two problems though: how in the world are you gonna change out the knee/calf to change the black and blue boots? And two....upon very close inspection it seems like the blue one is juuuuuust bit lighter in grey than than the black one.

Same problem with Dark Knight Triumphant...he has the darkest grey paint of all, and he also has a tear sculpted into the leg at the right thigh.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm

os189 wrote:
panther10 wrote:

I think it's possible, especially if you just applied a little heat. I'm not gonna go ripping it apart though!

Two problems though: how in the world are you gonna change out the knee/calf to change the black and blue boots? And two....upon very close inspection it seems like the blue one is juuuuuust bit lighter in grey than than the black one.

Same problem with Dark Knight Triumphant...he has the darkest grey paint of all, and he also has a tear sculpted into the leg at the right thigh.
Hmm well in that case I think I’ve just lost complete interest. I got the payment request last night but I think I’ll just hang it out to dry at this point. I’ll wait for the Brown and Tan Wolverine, which will hopefully released next week.

blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:17 am

They were supposed to be delivered on Friday but here they are today! Image

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 am

My buddy in Ohio got his already too. That's amazing that they're getting there so fast.
Dusty
Super Poseable

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 am

So I’ve seen some folks have a bay mobile in the style of SnyderCut that fits Mafex or Figuarts… can anyone tell me what brand it is?
Also, why didn’t Mafex make a Cheetah figure from WW84?
I guess maybe it’s a licensing issue but holy crud how cool would it be to have…
Cheetah
Deathstroke
Steve Trevor
Martian Manhunter
Lois Lane
Darkseid
Steppenwolf
A detailed GL like what McFarlane made but not as giant.

Anyhoo, those would be sweet to get. I wonder if figuarts has more of the ability to do DC films and Mafex is more marvel or Dc comic style figures. Hmm
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 pm

I want Medicom to get the CW license BADLY.

I need a Grant Gustin Flash & Matt Ryan Constantine. NEED.
mat-chow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:28 am

Dusty wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 am
So I’ve seen some folks have a bay mobile in the style of SnyderCut that fits Mafex or Figuarts… can anyone tell me what brand it is?
Also, why didn’t Mafex make a Cheetah figure from WW84?
I guess maybe it’s a licensing issue but holy crud how cool would it be to have…
Cheetah
Deathstroke
Steve Trevor
Martian Manhunter
Lois Lane
Darkseid
Steppenwolf
A detailed GL like what McFarlane made but not as giant.

Anyhoo, those would be sweet to get. I wonder if figuarts has more of the ability to do DC films and Mafex is more marvel or Dc comic style figures. Hmm
Mattel made an RC Snyder Cut Batmobile back in 2017- people raved over it but it’s hard to come by these days. That was technically 1/10 scale. They also made a cheaper, basic 1/12 scale one with no electronics and cheaper paint. There is a company called Jazzinc Dioramas that is currently producing a 1/12 BVS Batmobile with optional kit to change out to the ZSJL version. Interior and exterior lights, and
will fit Mezco Batman. I have one paid for, just waiting on delivery early next year.

https://jazzincdioramas.com/product/1-1 ... e-vehicle/

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”