MAFEX DC Comics Figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Yeah, Joker had by far the worst rendering by Jim Lee in all of "Hush." But it looks like MAFEX has nailed it again.

I know very few people picked up the DKR version of Joker but it's really an excellent figure, too. They're really firing on all cylinders when it comes to the Hush and Dark Knight Returns stuff. They must have an extremely talented sculptor or two that's just an ace at translating the images into 3D.

Wonder if different teams work on the Marvel stuff. None of it looks nearly as good...not even close.
blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm

os189 wrote:Yeah, Joker had by far the worst rendering by Jim Lee in all of "Hush." But it looks like MAFEX has nailed it again.

I know very few people picked up the DKR version of Joker but it's really an excellent figure, too. They're really firing on all cylinders when it comes to the Hush and Dark Knight Returns stuff. They must have an extremely talented sculptor or two that's just an ace at translating the images into 3D.

Wonder if different teams work on the Marvel stuff. None of it looks nearly as good...not even close.
I think because on the DC side, they're putting much ripping straight from the source/artwork whereas on the Marvel side, it's basically just an interpretation.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:49 pm

My TNBA Batman arrived from BBTS today.

And my Hush Joker from AmiAmi was in Elizabeth NJ this morning so It should be here tomorrow. Unless DHL doesn’t deliver on Saturday then I should have him on Monday. * Edit I just looked and it’s out for delivery. I must say DHL is impressive 4:30 am it was departing Cincinnati. Arrived in Elizabeth NJ and is now in Rockland County NY for delivery all under 12 hours. UPS, FedEx or the USPS it would take until tomorrow the earliest once landing in Elizabeth.

TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Got Joker today. He’s probably the worst MAFEX figure I own, but it’s a good character for it. I don’t necessarily need Joker to do all the things Batman can. Even still, the range in the knees and elbows is frustrating.

He’s good enough to look devious on the shelf in the same style and scale as Batman and Catwoman, which I guess is enough.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:09 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Got Joker today. He’s probably the worst MAFEX figure I own, but it’s a good character for it. I don’t necessarily need Joker to do all the things Batman can. Even still, the range in the knees and elbows is frustrating.

He’s good enough to look devious on the shelf in the same style and scale as Batman and Catwoman, which I guess is enough.
Hmm thats a little disappointing to hear that articulation is limited in the knees. No iconic Hush squatting poses I would presume in that case. That sounds gross but if you read the Joker issue of Hush it should make sense. :)
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:27 am

bananaman wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:09 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:

Hmm thats a little disappointing to hear that articulation is limited in the knees. No iconic Hush squatting poses I would presume in that case. That sounds gross but if you read the Joker issue of Hush it should make sense. :)

They're not terrible. A little better than 90 degrees. But I expect more for the price.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:57 am

I just cracked open my TNBA Batman and this figure totally threw me off guard. It’s a big figure for Mafex. It’s easily a quarter of an inch taller than the Hush Batman. And on top of that, it has a very refined style. That shouldn’t be surprising since it’s based on The New Batman Adventures drawings and animation, but it honestly feels like an oversized Kenner figure with more articulation. I’m honestly a little floored with how simplistic and well executed this figure looks compared to the source material. It doesn’t feel like a $90 figure. It feels like a $10 figure in the best ways possible. I feel like I can play with this figure endlessly and it won’t fall apart. It is a very well made toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:25 am

What do you think of the knees? They seem to protrude a bit and look triangular in a weird way...
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:10 am

DisneyBoy wrote:What do you think of the knees? They seem to protrude a bit and look triangular in a weird way...
I don’t think the knees look too bad. It’s a little larger than some of the knee joints that are used on other slender Mafex figures, but more slender than those that are used on the Hush sculpts and X-Men figs. And I should note that the kneecap itself is slightly more pronounced. But it doesn’t seem to effect the sculpt. The ROM is pretty good and they don’t seem to lock together or make Batman look knock kneed. I do notice that this Batman can’t quite kick his own ass, but that has nothing to do with the knee joints. That is more of a factor because of the way his thighs are sculpted. On most Mafex figures, normally the hamstrings curve slightly inward and that allows the lower leg to flex 180 degrees. But because of the simplicity of this Batman’s animated design, his hamstrings are on a flat plane and have no curvature. So his legs only bend about slightly past 90 degrees. Perhaps even reaching 130 or so. He also has some pretty big honkin’ calves and that hinders the leg articulation slightly. In fact those cantaloupe calves are honestly the only part of this figure that really bugs me. In the show his lower legs were string beans, but the figures legs actually have some meat to them.

mat-chow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Just saw a post in an FB group that the TDKR two pack is confirmed by Medicom for this Saturday. Looking forward to it!
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Rageasaurus wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:06 am
Quickly becoming my favorite display.
If they can keep going with Jim Lee style figures (every time I look at Cyborg Superman, it looks like he'll fit with Hush Clark PERFECTLY), this will definitely be my default DC collection, which will be nice, because I've been trying to find a "definitive" for awhile, from DCUC (had every character I wanted) to DCC BTAS/TNBA (missed too many, especially my favorites, who are now too expensive, and it's just not a posable line).

What Batgirl figure is that, and how expensive is she going to be for me to add her to my collection? :lol:

I'd guess DCC, but pretty sure all their stuff would tower over these, not fit perfectly next to Catwoman like that.
DarkKnight
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm

Batgirl Robin Nightwing and superboy are Dc collectibles Icons they briefly did 6 inch scale it’s a shame they closed up shop before things got further along the later waves were really good
Rageasaurus
Avengers Assemble

MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:25 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Rageasaurus wrote:
If they can keep going with Jim Lee style figures (every time I look at Cyborg Superman, it looks like he'll fit with Hush Clark PERFECTLY), this will definitely be my default DC collection, which will be nice, because I've been trying to find a "definitive" for awhile, from DCUC (had every character I wanted) to DCC BTAS/TNBA (missed too many, especially my favorites, who are now too expensive, and it's just not a posable line).

What Batgirl figure is that, and how expensive is she going to be for me to add her to my collection? :lol:

I'd guess DCC, but pretty sure all their stuff would tower over these, not fit perfectly next to Catwoman like that.
As Dark Knight mentioned, those are DC Icons figures which are discontinued now unfortunately but I find the scale and aesthetic fits really nicely with the current Mafex stuff. At the time, the line wasn’t really appreciated because it didn’t scale well with ML and the figures do have some articulation challenges.
I would NOT recommend looking at current aftermarket prices for those as they go for outrageous prices now lol…

bat1975
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Rageasaurus wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:40 pm
S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
Rageasaurus wrote:

Also after over a year of contemplation going back and forth on if I liked the huge cape on Bats, I decided to do the mod to trim it down. Completely happy with the result.

Display looks great! Are those just some random bookends?
Yup, bought them on eBay from gpslot a while back. Just looked and they got some other gargoyle dioramas for sale currently.

Can you post a link to the cape mod? Looked on youtube, couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance!
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 pm

Rageasaurus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:25 pm
I would NOT recommend looking at current aftermarket prices for those as they go for outrageous prices now lol…
TOO LATE. *curls up in the shower, sobbing*

:lol:

Thanks for the response!

I wonder what the likelihood of Mafex making Burnside Batgirl...

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”