MAFEX DC Comics Figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Yeah amiami sent out delay emails for both Marvel & DC last week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Diego
HULK SMASH!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

I haven't heard yet from BBTS about my Catwoman. Not that I'm concerned, but since I'll travel a little bit during the summer I'll have either to move her to the Pile of Loot or to manage my FedEx deliveries. I don't want her shipping while I'm out on vacation for a couple week and the package sitting on my front porch for that long.

If/when anyone get a notification from BBTS about payment request or shipping for the Mafex Catwoman preorder, please let me know. Thanks.
Benedict
CROM!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 pm

They’re a 4-6 weeks behind import sites. Probably another few weeks.
dHunter333
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Got the Joker from The Dark Knight Returns. He's great. They really captured the odd feminine look of Joker from that book. Is he 4x better than the Mattel version? No, not really. Great figure though, another home run from Mafex.

Here he is in the package.

Here he is out of the package with all of his accessories laid out.

Here he is on the David Endochrine Show

After he starts his killing.

At the fair with a child hostage.

Mafex The Dark Knight Returns collection so far.

Next to the DC Direct Dark Knight Returns Joker.

Next to the Mattel version.

Next to other Mafex Joker figures.

Here is my YouTube review on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y80-T4BpOq
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm

Nice review as always.

Judging by your excellent photo's the Mattel version holds up just fine for my collection. I would argue that the Mattel head sculpt is a little better.
AgentLionel
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 am

Looks like a not-import-worthy rendition of the character. He's not a super athletic character to begin with, as in, this interpretation doesn't need to flex into Spider-Man like poses. But this figure lacks flow - the ability of a figure to flow into different poses that show emotion, line movement, power, drama, and realism, if not exaggerated or cartooned realism. A good example of flow is the MAFEX Superman, who can relate so much just in a vanilla standing pose, let alone a combat pose. Another thing working against him is the very abstract graphic design of this Joker, who is more about geometric form, which is why the less articulated DC Direct version (particularly the right side/white version) has a lot more life in him, whereas the MAFEX is GI-Joe'd in comparison. There's a certain kind of artist that can take a body made out of hard angles, triangles, boxes, and points, and turn that into articulated flow. Unfortunately I don't think he was hired for this project.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am

bananaman wrote:
Nice review as always.

Judging by your excellent photo's the Mattel version holds up just fine for my collection. I would argue that the Mattel head sculpt is a little better.
I thought so too, until I got the MAFEX in hand. When you have them side by side, there's simply no comparison. I do think it's a very small number of collectors that would even LIKE the Joker in this extremely specific interpretation, and and even smaller number than that who would feel the upgrade is necessary or "worth it."

Unless you're an absolute fanatic, the Mattel figure is really not bad, especially considering it was dirt cheap for a long time. But if you love the book and really want this figure to match the other DKR MAFEX figures on the shelf, I don't think anyone would be disappointed when they get it in hand.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:11 pm

os189 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am
bananaman wrote:
Nice review as always.

I thought so too, until I got the MAFEX in hand. When you have them side by side, there's simply no comparison. I do think it's a very small number of collectors that would even LIKE the Joker in this extremely specific interpretation, and and even smaller number than that who would feel the upgrade is necessary or "worth it."

Unless you're an absolute fanatic, the Mattel figure is really not bad, especially considering it was dirt cheap for a long time. But if you love the book and really want this figure to match the other DKR MAFEX figures on the shelf, I don't think anyone would be disappointed when they get it in hand.
"Liked" your post
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Is that a Mae Young figure? Not gonna lie, that made me chuckle.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:49 pm

HUSH harley quinn is next
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:52 pm

Oh darn. Oh darn. Oh darnnnnnnnnnnn

But yes, want it.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Literally her only accessories are a mallet and....rocket boots? I never read Hush, I guess she uses those. But she should also come with her big silly gun. WB at it again.

I'm also not a fan of just how glossy they made her. I get that it's a reuse of the Catwoman body, but while a latex-y look works for Catwoman, I don't feel like it fits Harley. I never got the impression her suit was latex. And last, this is just personal preference, but her hat looks too...droopy? to me. I'm gonna stick with my Icons. Literally the only thing I like better on this Mafex is the waist/ab area. The Icons crunch isn't pretty, but it works and that Harley has a better shape to her hat and came with a mallet and gun and multiple hands.

This is still the GOAT Harley to me:
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Is it me or does Harley seem to skew more towards the art style from the Hush movie instead of the comic book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Reinanigans wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm
Literally her only accessories are a mallet and....rocket boots? I never read Hush, I guess she uses those. But she should also come with her big silly gun. WB at it again.

I'm also not a fan of just how glossy they made her. I get that it's a reuse of the Catwoman body, but while a latex-y look works for Catwoman, I don't feel like it fits Harley. I never got the impression her suit was latex. And last, this is just personal preference, but her hat looks too...droopy? to me. I'm gonna stick with my Icons. Literally the only thing I like better on this Mafex is the waist/ab area. The Icons crunch isn't pretty, but it works and that Harley has a better shape to her hat and came with a mallet and gun and multiple hands.

This is still the GOAT Harley to me:
I'm gonna respectfully disagree about the gloss thing. While I'm sure you can find examples of her with a more matt finish, a lot of art of her does have her looking glossy. So I think in that regard at least, the figure isn't bad.

The accessories themselves, I can't disagree with that. I have the icons one. I never opened it, and I doubt I will now that I have Harley. Makes me think I should get Joker, though.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”