MAFEX DC Comics Figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4155
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Yeah amiami sent out delay emails for both Marvel & DC last week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1834
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 pm



Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Diego
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

I haven't heard yet from BBTS about my Catwoman. Not that I'm concerned, but since I'll travel a little bit during the summer I'll have either to move her to the Pile of Loot or to manage my FedEx deliveries. I don't want her shipping while I'm out on vacation for a couple week and the package sitting on my front porch for that long.

If/when anyone get a notification from BBTS about payment request or shipping for the Mafex Catwoman preorder, please let me know. Thanks.
Benedict
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 pm

They’re a 4-6 weeks behind import sites. Probably another few weeks.
User avatar
dHunter333
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5560
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:30 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Got the Joker from The Dark Knight Returns. He's great. They really captured the odd feminine look of Joker from that book. Is he 4x better than the Mattel version? No, not really. Great figure though, another home run from Mafex.

Here he is in the package.
Image

Here he is out of the package with all of his accessories laid out.
Image

Here he is on the David Endochrine Show
Image

After he starts his killing.
Image

At the fair with a child hostage.
Image

Mafex The Dark Knight Returns collection so far.
Image

Next to the DC Direct Dark Knight Returns Joker.
Image

Next to the Mattel version.
Image

Next to other Mafex Joker figures.
Image

Here is my YouTube review on him.
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y80-T4BpOq
User avatar
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: On a Dark Desert Highway
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm

Nice review as always.

Judging by your excellent photo's the Mattel version holds up just fine for my collection. I would argue that the Mattel head sculpt is a little better.
User avatar
AgentLionel
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 am

Looks like a not-import-worthy rendition of the character. He's not a super athletic character to begin with, as in, this interpretation doesn't need to flex into Spider-Man like poses. But this figure lacks flow - the ability of a figure to flow into different poses that show emotion, line movement, power, drama, and realism, if not exaggerated or cartooned realism. A good example of flow is the MAFEX Superman, who can relate so much just in a vanilla standing pose, let alone a combat pose. Another thing working against him is the very abstract graphic design of this Joker, who is more about geometric form, which is why the less articulated DC Direct version (particularly the right side/white version) has a lot more life in him, whereas the MAFEX is GI-Joe'd in comparison. There's a certain kind of artist that can take a body made out of hard angles, triangles, boxes, and points, and turn that into articulated flow. Unfortunately I don't think he was hired for this project.
User avatar
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:45 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am

bananaman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm
Nice review as always.

Judging by your excellent photo's the Mattel version holds up just fine for my collection. I would argue that the Mattel head sculpt is a little better.
I thought so too, until I got the MAFEX in hand. When you have them side by side, there's simply no comparison. I do think it's a very small number of collectors that would even LIKE the Joker in this extremely specific interpretation, and and even smaller number than that who would feel the upgrade is necessary or "worth it."

Unless you're an absolute fanatic, the Mattel figure is really not bad, especially considering it was dirt cheap for a long time. But if you love the book and really want this figure to match the other DKR MAFEX figures on the shelf, I don't think anyone would be disappointed when they get it in hand.
User avatar
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: On a Dark Desert Highway
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:11 pm

os189 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am
bananaman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm
Nice review as always.

Judging by your excellent photo's the Mattel version holds up just fine for my collection. I would argue that the Mattel head sculpt is a little better.
I thought so too, until I got the MAFEX in hand. When you have them side by side, there's simply no comparison. I do think it's a very small number of collectors that would even LIKE the Joker in this extremely specific interpretation, and and even smaller number than that who would feel the upgrade is necessary or "worth it."

Unless you're an absolute fanatic, the Mattel figure is really not bad, especially considering it was dirt cheap for a long time. But if you love the book and really want this figure to match the other DKR MAFEX figures on the shelf, I don't think anyone would be disappointed when they get it in hand.
"Liked" your post
User avatar
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1069
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Is that a Mae Young figure? Not gonna lie, that made me chuckle.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:49 pm

HUSH harley quinn is next
User avatar
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1069
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:52 pm

Oh darn. Oh darn. Oh darnnnnnnnnnnn

But yes, want it.
User avatar
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Literally her only accessories are a mallet and....rocket boots? I never read Hush, I guess she uses those. But she should also come with her big silly gun. WB at it again.

I'm also not a fan of just how glossy they made her. I get that it's a reuse of the Catwoman body, but while a latex-y look works for Catwoman, I don't feel like it fits Harley. I never got the impression her suit was latex. And last, this is just personal preference, but her hat looks too...droopy? to me. I'm gonna stick with my Icons. Literally the only thing I like better on this Mafex is the waist/ab area. The Icons crunch isn't pretty, but it works and that Harley has a better shape to her hat and came with a mallet and gun and multiple hands.

This is still the GOAT Harley to me:
Image
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 8951
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Is it me or does Harley seem to skew more towards the art style from the Hush movie instead of the comic book?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1069
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: MAFEX DC Comics Figures

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Reinanigans wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm
Literally her only accessories are a mallet and....rocket boots? I never read Hush, I guess she uses those. But she should also come with her big silly gun. WB at it again.

I'm also not a fan of just how glossy they made her. I get that it's a reuse of the Catwoman body, but while a latex-y look works for Catwoman, I don't feel like it fits Harley. I never got the impression her suit was latex. And last, this is just personal preference, but her hat looks too...droopy? to me. I'm gonna stick with my Icons. Literally the only thing I like better on this Mafex is the waist/ab area. The Icons crunch isn't pretty, but it works and that Harley has a better shape to her hat and came with a mallet and gun and multiple hands.

This is still the GOAT Harley to me:
Image
I'm gonna respectfully disagree about the gloss thing. While I'm sure you can find examples of her with a more matt finish, a lot of art of her does have her looking glossy. So I think in that regard at least, the figure isn't bad.

The accessories themselves, I can't disagree with that. I have the icons one. I never opened it, and I doubt I will now that I have Harley. Makes me think I should get Joker, though.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”