McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 pm

Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 pm
Ninjak wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 pm
As I get older, I find the whole Batman being more relatable to be a farce. He’s just as superhuman as the other leaguers. How he hasn’t permanently died by supervillain’s hands yet is a superpower in and of itself.
Jessica Rabbit said it best, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Meaning she's a fictional character and is whatever the writer or artist wants her to be.

Batman is no more a "farce" than other non-super characters like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Rambo, etc. Who have all survived as many impossibly dangerous situations as Batman (and then some). Because they are all fictional characters who can do things that would likely get a real person killed. But James Bond doesn't die in the first 5-minutes of the movie because then there would be no more James Bond movies. The same applies to Batman.

At least Batman gets the explanation of a lifetime of training, wearing body armor, and carrying an array of non-lethal weapons.

Let's face it - In real life, if you were a criminal pulling a robbery and a guy suddenly showed up dressed as a bat (possibly accompanied by a young boy in short pants and a yellow cape), instead of shaking in fear, you'd be shaking with laughter. Then you'd probably shoot them both. But as a reader (or movie goer) you "suspend your disbelief" and accept the situation as it is presented by the writer/artist/director, etc.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Thus continues the lesson. None of them are relatable just as you’ve said. I never said any of those guys are relatable either. There needs to be a suspension of belief. Batman is no more relatable than Superman just cause he’s human. The dude does not do humanly possible things. Batman is not relatable to me.

I was just joking about the "lesson" thing, btw, but honestly it sounds like you really don't like "comic-book" type heroes at all.

Here’s a story you might like.

Chapter One:

John Dagger is an ex Navy Seal and martial arts master turned government super spy. He’s just learned there’s a meeting of a terrorist organization at an old warehouse down by the waterfront. Using his years of covert training and experience he sneaks into the meeting and faces down 20 armed men. He pulls out his twin uzis (one for each hand) and yell’s “Hold it scum! You’re all under arrest!” Then the terrorists immediately gun him down and he falls to the floor dead.

The End.

There you go. A nice realistic story with a very relatable protagonist. Too bad there won’t be any sequels. :lol: :lol:
captnemo4242
I wish I had super powers

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Ro-El wrote:
Ninjak wrote:
Jessica Rabbit said it best, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Meaning she's a fictional character and is whatever the writer or artist wants her to be.

Batman is no more a "farce" than other non-super characters like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Rambo, etc. Who have all survived as many impossibly dangerous situations as Batman (and then some). Because they are all fictional characters who can do things that would likely get a real person killed. But James Bond doesn't die in the first 5-minutes of the movie because then there would be no more James Bond movies. The same applies to Batman.

At least Batman gets the explanation of a lifetime of training, wearing body armor, and carrying an array of non-lethal weapons.

Let's face it - In real life, if you were a criminal pulling a robbery and a guy suddenly showed up dressed as a bat (possibly accompanied by a young boy in short pants and a yellow cape), instead of shaking in fear, you'd be shaking with laughter. Then you'd probably shoot them both. But as a reader (or movie goer) you "suspend your disbelief" and accept the situation as it is presented by the writer/artist/director, etc.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Thus continues the lesson. None of them are relatable just as you’ve said. I never said any of those guys are relatable either. There needs to be a suspension of belief. Batman is no more relatable than Superman just cause he’s human. The dude does not do humanly possible things. Batman is not relatable to me.

I was just joking about the "lesson" thing, btw, but honestly it sounds like you really don't like "comic-book" type heroes at all.

Chapter One:

John Dagger is an ex Navy Seal and martial arts master turned government super spy. He’s just learned there’s a meeting of a terrorist organization at an old warehouse down by the waterfront. Using his years of covert training and experience he sneaks into the meeting and faces down 20 armed men. He pulls out his twin uzis (one for each hand) and yell’s “Hold it scum! You’re all under arrest!” Then the terrorists immediately gun him down and he falls to the floor dead.

The End.

There you go. A nice realistic story with a very relatable protagonist. Too bad there won’t be any sequels. :lol: :lol:
Well played ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:37 pm

Maverick FYI the '89 Burton film was my introduction as well and I thought it looked DUMB! I didn't get it, I saw these movie posters and people falling over themselves about this movie and it just seemed stupid to me. I was into Transformers and sci fi stuff - realistic in a sense, broad in concept and Batman looks like Halloween. My Mom dragged me to see it after the hype quieted a bit and I think I was in deep after "Where does he get those wonderful toys??" and BAM flies through the museum door and there's the Batmobile. That was the beginning of something big. My first Batman comics were Detective Comics drawn by Norm Breyfogle and that brought it to another level.

To me Batman is about a man who shaped himself to be stronger after something awful happened - at times in my life that has guided me. The Nolan Batman films, Year One, Long Halloween, Knightfall, TDKR are some of my favorites and he is quite fallible in them. I loved Dark Detective because of the art but also because he was an underdog to an extent. Likewise in Fear State he is up against superior tech and more dependent on his family. The stories where he is perfect are a little corny to me.

Also, I eventually realized what a crock of shit it was that Spider-man is an "everyday guy" WTF....he is surrounded by gorgeous women and apparently a super genius. Yeah tough life.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:52 pm

supreme-d wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:01 am

The Three Jokers figures are the best looking figures for these characters McFarlane has made so far, but they still only look okay to me.
To each their own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is the line for ME as I love what Todd does. Way better than Mattel's late offerings and better than DCUC for me since I didn't like the cookie cutter approach. Essentials was junk to me and Mafex is cool, but I was underwhelmed by HUSH Batman. Legends is Marvel, but I am much more into McFarlane's line, Legends mostly bores me.

There's things I don't care for, but we're getting unique sculpts, vehicles and mini-sets, artist specific material and just a lot of cool stuff with the best yet to come. I think people have an idea of what they want in their head and when something else is revealed they reject it. Which is fine, but this line is far from mediocre or cheap as I have seen some sourpusses call it.

Sasquatch Wave Cable was an utter disappointment to me because it didn't match the artwork, but I still recognize it as a good figure. It essentially ended my Legends collecting though so I get why people dip on Todd's line - definitely a specific taste.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Ro-El wrote:
Ninjak wrote:

Thus endeth the lesson.

Chapter One:

The End.

I actually love comic book heroes. Maybe I’m not making myself clear. I don’t mind suspending belief for these fictional heroes. That comes with the territory. Batman is my second favorite comic superhero right after Superman. What I’m criticizing is this notion and idea that a character like Batman is more relatable than a character like Superman just because he’s human even though he does these nigh impossible things a human can’t do. So many fans say they like Batman better cause he’s just a normal human. Batman is anything but normal. Also one does not need to relate heavily to a character to enjoy that said character as you all already know. Now there are some things we can relate to in every character whether human or not. But to say just cause that character is a “human”, he/she is more relatable? I find Superman more relatable than Batman most of the time because he tries to see the best in all people while Batman…….is well Batman. Anyways my apologies for derailing this thread. Back to dc multiverse figure talk.
BAT
Avengers Assemble

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:03 am

Finally got Flashpoint Batman. Is it a common problem that his hips pop off when articulated to the front? Man, I wish McF hips and thigh swivels were redesigned because they are terrible in range and functionality.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 am

89 Batman came out when I was 7. I didn’t see it on the theaters at the time because my parents weren’t sure I was old enough. I saw it at my friends house when it was out on vhs and convinced my parents I was fine and shortly after that I owned it.

I think my grandma got it for me from McDonald’s? There was a stretch there where they were giving away vhs tapes. That’s how I got field of dreams I think.

That movie cemented Batman as my superhero. It was something I had never seen before. The Christopher Reeve superman movies I had seen in passing on tv but this movie was a whole other level.

Shortly after that my grandma started buying me Batman comics every month. Best grandma ever in case it wasn’t obvious.

It’s not my favorite Batman movie but it is possibly the most important Batman movie for me personally and quite possibly the industry as a whole. It’s special because it did it in a way that had never been done before.

I’d argue the second most important Batman movie was Batman and Robin. Just because it drove the franchise in the ground and proved you actually had to make a quality film.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:27 am

Well I’ve spent the last week or so catching up on some New 52 essential reading. Court/City of Owls, Traps and Trapezes, and Night of the Owls compilation. Getting ready to read the Talon series. Which is where I’m going with this. Todd needs to make Talon. Perhaps a Talons through history wave.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:45 am

Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:13 pm
Ninjak wrote:
Ro-El wrote:

Chapter One:

The End.

I actually love comic book heroes. Maybe I’m not making myself clear. I don’t mind suspending belief for these fictional heroes. That comes with the territory. Batman is my second favorite comic superhero right after Superman. What I’m criticizing is this notion and idea that a character like Batman is more relatable than a character like Superman just because he’s human even though he does these nigh impossible things a human can’t do. So many fans say they like Batman better cause he’s just a normal human. Batman is anything but normal. Also one does not need to relate heavily to a character to enjoy that said character as you all already know. Now there are some things we can relate to in every character whether human or not. But to say just cause that character is a “human”, he/she is more relatable? I find Superman more relatable than Batman most of the time because he tries to see the best in all people while Batman…….is well Batman. Anyways my apologies for derailing this thread. Back to dc multiverse figure talk.

I know dude. I was just messing around. Back to action figure talk.
dHunter333
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 am

BAT wrote:
Finally got Flashpoint Batman. Is it a common problem that his hips pop off when articulated to the front? Man, I wish McF hips and thigh swivels were redesigned because they are terrible in range and functionality.
Mine is really bad about this. For me, it's just the Flashpoint Batman, the first Gold Label version of Todd McFarlane's Batman, and Damian Wayne a little bit having that problem.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:30 am

dHunter333 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 am
BAT wrote:
Mine is really bad about this. For me, it's just the Flashpoint Batman, the first Gold Label version of Todd McFarlane's Batman, and Damian Wayne a little bit having that problem.
I have that issue with one of my Snyder cut Batman figures the leg keeps popping off the stem.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:55 pm

ditko wrote:
Way better than Mattel's late offerings and better than DCUC for me since I didn't like the cookie cutter approach. Essentials was junk to me and Mafex is cool, but I was underwhelmed by HUSH Batman.
Nah, DCUC will still remain in my heart as the best DC line. BAFs were great, figures dated by today's standard, but there were a bunch of new characters and Iconic designs. Not just "Batman, Batman Supreme, Ultimate Batman, Green Batman, Superman Batman, etc". I'm joking, of course, but this McFarlane line is just...not enough. I don't know...too edgy? Most of the figures don't look cohesive together and not really possible to assemble any team except "Dark Nights: Metal" or something. Some single figures look great though. Don't like Essentials, Icons were canceled just before they became great. MAFEX DC Line is the only thing that interests me right now.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:21 pm

In terms of the “is Batman relatable?” argument:

It’s not about relatability at all for me. Batman, to me, is *aspirational*, he embodies the ideal of what I *could* be, not so much in a real-world sort of way but in terms of being a human paragon. More than any other comic book hero, Batman is who I think of when I need to endure hardship or push through a difficult time. Because Batman is a human amongst gods with the odds always stacked against him, and he never stops trying, and and he never, ever, ever gives up. I can’t relate to being a billionaire orphan with a medic butler, but honestly I really can’t actually relate to any “hero” character that I can think of right now. But I aspire to be like Batman: to use my privilege to protect the vulnerable, to stand up to those more powerful than me and never back down, to stand for justice and compassion, and often simply to keep moving forward in the face of what seems at the time to be unbeatable obstacles, to keep fighting even when I feel outmatched.
Corny? Yeah, sure. It’s very much a philosophy built by an anxious and precocious 10 year old who didn’t fit in and had a hard time finding heroes to look up to in the macho-selfish 80s. But Batman has gotten me through a lot of dark times. Here in my 40s and in a very dark time for society in general, he feels more relevant to me than ever. I don’t want to *be* him: I mean who would want to be Batman, his life is tragic and violent and dark. But I can look to him as an aspirant example of the fortitude and virtue I wish to have.

Aaaaaanyway, I love this line. It feels so different from other companies’ lines: hyper-detailed and “mature” but also incredible durable and play-ready. And the 3 Jokers wave in particular is such a high-water mark for me personally, with my deep love of old-school comics history and the Joker.
‘Cuz the Joker is aspirational, too, after a fashion: not for his violent actions and general anti-social worldview, but in a meta way as a character who recognizes the arbitrary, cruel chaos of the world, chooses to boldly, flamboyantly be himself, and completely refuses to conform to “normalcy”. I wouldn’t say I’d ever think “what would the Joker do?”, but I definitely aspire to channel as much of the character’s “f*ck you, I won’t do what you tell me” energy as possible without becoming harmful.

So yeah. Batman toys are cool to me.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Aleks wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:55 pm
ditko wrote:
Way better than Mattel's late offerings and better than DCUC for me since I didn't like the cookie cutter approach. Essentials was junk to me and Mafex is cool, but I was underwhelmed by HUSH Batman.
Nah, DCUC will still remain in my heart as the best DC line. BAFs were great, figures dated by today's standard, but there were a bunch of new characters and Iconic designs. Not just "Batman, Batman Supreme, Ultimate Batman, Green Batman, Superman Batman, etc". I'm joking, of course, but this McFarlane line is just...not enough. I don't know...too edgy? Most of the figures don't look cohesive together and not really possible to assemble any team except "Dark Nights: Metal" or something. Some single figures look great though. Don't like Essentials, Icons were canceled just before they became great. MAFEX DC Line is the only thing that interests me right now.
Agreed. DCUC was just a lot of fun for me, very toyetic and look that was right out of my preferred Bronze age-loved the wave assortment-great comic accurate sculpts for the most part-Great CnC's and a deep dive that we will never see in the toy aisle again. I will never part with mine as I do not ever see the line being beat.
Didn't trust DC Collectibles/Direct enough to complete lines to invest (much) in Icons or Essentials....looks like a good call.
Mafex Hush is awesome but expensive-very.
Todds are affordable, nicely sculpted, fewer corners cut and I do enjoy the larger scale but find them slightly too serious for my tastes. 3 Joker wave looks awesome and i have passed on just a few, mostly DCEU related figures. I am excited to see whats down the road with McF.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:27 am
Well I’ve spent the last week or so catching up on some New 52 essential reading. Court/City of Owls, Traps and Trapezes, and Night of the Owls compilation. Getting ready to read the Talon series. Which is where I’m going with this. Todd needs to make Talon. Perhaps a Talons through history wave.

I'd love to at least get a New 52 Batman and Talon 2-pack.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”