McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
Meauxses
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:31 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 am
All I’m saying is that Batman gets people riled up like no other DC character. Kinda sad IMHO.
Because Batman is the most popular/important character in DC comics.

He’s the most recognizable to the general public. He’s often times the first introduction people have to DC.

He’s about to have his 8th movie and will have had appearances in 3 other movies.

He’s kind of a big deal.
Superman is the most important character at DC and to comics in general. The first and the best. He should also be the most popular, but WB/DC has hated him since the late 90s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:14 pm
On a non McFarlane related topic but Batman related topic. My gf wanted to show her 6yo son the 1989 Batman movie. So we are working our way through it. We started it too late to finish, we have about a half hour left.

Her son has said he doesn’t like superheroes….more accurately he hasn’t been exposed to them outside of t-shirts. I’ve shown him some cartoons here and there but this is the first superhero movie he’s watching.

We watched started it one night just to see if he’d want to watch it. He was hooked. Was too tired to keep going but asked to watch more the next night.

So the movie still holds up enough to capture kids attention. He won’t admit it because he doesn’t want to admit he was wrong. But hes loving it. Specifically every time the joker shows up.
I waited too long with my oldest daughter. She watched it this year (she's eleven) and it was too dated for her (or too Batman, I don't know). Also I think my kids are quite aware that Batman is my thing, and they want to have their own.

They did love the Lego Batman movie, though, and really enjoy Teen Titans Go and DC Superhero Girls, so I guess they're more into their generation of superhero media. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies seem to be their favorite superhero related films.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:51 pm

The key was to be whatever about it. We didn’t make a big deal of it. Because yes, he wants to like his own thing. And he doesn’t want to like what I like even if what I like is cooler than what he likes.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3934
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Might I gently remind you that you’re now at the perfect point to intro this kid to comics. Court of Owls might be a bit much, but there’s all sorts of all ages Marvel/DC stuff you can drop on him. Help ensure that we have print comics in the next generation. Thanks for your time.
User avatar
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:17 pm

Meauxses wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:31 pm
maverick10126 wrote:
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 am
All I’m saying is that Batman gets people riled up like no other DC character. Kinda sad IMHO.
Because Batman is the most popular/important character in DC comics.

He’s the most recognizable to the general public. He’s often times the first introduction people have to DC.

He’s about to have his 8th movie and will have had appearances in 3 other movies.

He’s kind of a big deal.
Superman is the most important character at DC and to comics in general. The first and the best. He should also be the most popular, but WB/DC has hated him since the late 90s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They haven't found a producer/director/writer that has been able to properly portray Superman to the general public through a mainstream film, hence Batman will always remain more relatable as a human without powers.

The recent films portray Superman as a deity and a symbol more than an actual human being, which is kinda hard to relate to.

From a toy perspective, there are a lot more variations of Batman to work with, and he's got more popular side characters and a larger rogues gallery. Not sure how many people are buying figures of Lois, Perry White and Jimmy Olsen, although most of us here may jump at the chance to get them.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:19 pm

He’s not quite at that reading level yet, but yes I’m fighting the good fight and inserting comics and superheroes into his peripheral. I was reading Hickmans Secret Wars to him a while back. We were both completely lost.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:33 pm

Superman’s portrayal in Superman & Lois is possibly the best live action portrayal yet. Or the most true to the comics in his personality
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Unknown Helper
Posts: 4063
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 pm

As I get older, I find the whole Batman being more relatable to be a farce. He’s just as superhuman as the other leaguers. How he hasn’t permanently died by supervillain’s hands yet is a superpower in and of itself.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3934
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 pm

I agree. The richest man in the world is also the smartest man in the world. And he’s the best hand to hand combatant in the world. In multiple disciplines. As an extra added bonus, he also has the best tactical mind in the world, able to finish a chess game before it starts. Always ten steps ahead and prepped for any contingency.

I’ve an easier time believing in an alien with a genetic makeup that converts solar energy into godlike abilities and a thousand year old mythological demi-goddess.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3934
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:41 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:19 pm
He’s not quite at that reading level yet, but yes I’m fighting the good fight and inserting comics and superheroes into his peripheral. I was reading Hickmans Secret Wars to him a while back. We were both completely lost.
Good job bro. Keep it going.
User avatar
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4127
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 pm
As I get older, I find the whole Batman being more relatable to be a farce. He’s just as superhuman as the other leaguers. How he hasn’t permanently died by supervillain’s hands yet is a superpower in and of itself.
Jessica Rabbit said it best, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Meaning she's a fictional character and is whatever the writer or artist wants her to be.

Batman is no more a "farce" than other non-super characters like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Rambo, etc. Who have all survived as many impossibly dangerous situations as Batman (and then some). Because they are all fictional characters who can do things that would likely get a real person killed. But James Bond doesn't die in the first 5-minutes of the movie because then there would be no more James Bond movies. The same applies to Batman.

At least Batman gets the explanation of a lifetime of training, wearing body armor, and carrying an array of non-lethal weapons.

Let's face it - In real life, if you were a criminal pulling a robbery and a guy suddenly showed up dressed as a bat (possibly accompanied by a young boy in short pants and a yellow cape), instead of shaking in fear, you'd be shaking with laughter. Then you'd probably shoot them both. But as a reader (or movie goer) you "suspend your disbelief" and accept the situation as it is presented by the writer/artist/director, etc.

Thus endeth the lesson.
User avatar
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 pm

The recent Batman comics have tried to de-emphasize his wealth. Not sure if I like the reasoning behind it, but it's definitely a departure from the past.

I've also heard too many good things about Superman & Lois to not watch it.
User avatar
PatientMental
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:39 pm

Has anybody tried to put a 6 inch figure on the Curse of the White Knight Batcycle? Just wondering if it would look right in scale
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Unknown Helper
Posts: 4063
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 pm
As I get older, I find the whole Batman being more relatable to be a farce. He’s just as superhuman as the other leaguers. How he hasn’t permanently died by supervillain’s hands yet is a superpower in and of itself.
Jessica Rabbit said it best, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Meaning she's a fictional character and is whatever the writer or artist wants her to be.

Batman is no more a "farce" than other non-super characters like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Rambo, etc. Who have all survived as many impossibly dangerous situations as Batman (and then some). Because they are all fictional characters who can do things that would likely get a real person killed. But James Bond doesn't die in the first 5-minutes of the movie because then there would be no more James Bond movies. The same applies to Batman.

At least Batman gets the explanation of a lifetime of training, wearing body armor, and carrying an array of non-lethal weapons.

Let's face it - In real life, if you were a criminal pulling a robbery and a guy suddenly showed up dressed as a bat (possibly accompanied by a young boy in short pants and a yellow cape), instead of shaking in fear, you'd be shaking with laughter. Then you'd probably shoot them both. But as a reader (or movie goer) you "suspend your disbelief" and accept the situation as it is presented by the writer/artist/director, etc.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Thus continues the lesson. None of them are relatable just as you’ve said. I never said any of those guys are relatable either. There needs to be a suspension of belief. Batman is no more relatable than Superman just cause he’s human. The dude does not do humanly possible things. Batman is not relatable to me.
anthonywayne
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Ro-El wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 pm
As I get older, I find the whole Batman being more relatable to be a farce. He’s just as superhuman as the other leaguers. How he hasn’t permanently died by supervillain’s hands yet is a superpower in and of itself.
Jessica Rabbit said it best, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." Meaning she's a fictional character and is whatever the writer or artist wants her to be.

Batman is no more a "farce" than other non-super characters like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Rambo, etc. Who have all survived as many impossibly dangerous situations as Batman (and then some). Because they are all fictional characters who can do things that would likely get a real person killed. But James Bond doesn't die in the first 5-minutes of the movie because then there would be no more James Bond movies. The same applies to Batman.

At least Batman gets the explanation of a lifetime of training, wearing body armor, and carrying an array of non-lethal weapons.

Let's face it - In real life, if you were a criminal pulling a robbery and a guy suddenly showed up dressed as a bat (possibly accompanied by a young boy in short pants and a yellow cape), instead of shaking in fear, you'd be shaking with laughter. Then you'd probably shoot them both. But as a reader (or movie goer) you "suspend your disbelief" and accept the situation as it is presented by the writer/artist/director, etc.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Thank you, professor.

It's one of the reasons I've hated the attempt at injecting 'realism' into comics all these years. There's nothing realistic about them. They're modern mythology, entertainment that is an expression of, and at times can teach us something about, our hopes, fears, dreams, and society.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”