McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am

Seamus McSuperfly wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 pm
Every time I look at Azrael, I remember that they stuck Christ on the cross on his sword hilt, and I wonder how they got away with that.
For the sake of not creating a firestorm let’s just say it’s not Christ but some other Martyr or St. Dumas because many people were crucified on crosses back in the day. Plus this is the DC universe so who knows who it might be.
Seamus McSuperfly
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 am

No, that's impossible.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:47 am

Seamus McSuperfly wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 am
No, that's impossible.
I have a weapon from a Manga property that would make that Sword look tame in comparison. Shock value is in the eye of the beholder imo.

I remember when the 4H wanted to have an upside down cross on a figure and it turned into some point of contention for some who are more sensitive than others.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 am

I remember when Mattel made Captain Marvel Jr. in DCUC. People were trying to figure out how to get Captain Nazi made without a swastika knowing no toy company would touch it. Rightly so. This is touching on that. Something Todd would do in the Spawn line. I’m sure DC would rather stay out of it.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:59 am

I'll definitely be checking out the store, I actually want that autographed Spawn's Universe. Not sure I can drop $200 though. Bane is a pass, I need to grab Wonder Woman to complete the one I have partially built. I was probably buying something else the times I saw her, definitely looks cool. I had a feeling this is what we'd get. MAFEX is doing their thing, but maybe one day.

I loved the 3 reveals last week, but did expect more. Still, this store and the DCC news is really, really encouraging. I expect we learn more at NYCC and see Lex before then. Hopefully Three Jokers and Rebirth Superman too! I guess September.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:16 am

Maybe this is where year 2 Batman gets released through. Or maybe a deluxe version of year 2 Batman similar to his spawn Kickstarter.
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:25 am

Visionary wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am
Seamus McSuperfly wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 pm
Every time I look at Azrael, I remember that they stuck Christ on the cross on his sword hilt, and I wonder how they got away with that.
For the sake of not creating a firestorm let’s just say it’s not Christ but some other Martyr or St. Dumas because many people were crucified on crosses back in the day. Plus this is the DC universe so who knows who it might be.
It's probably just Swamp Thing.

IamI
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:17 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:16 am
Maybe this is where year 2 Batman gets released through. Or maybe a deluxe version of year 2 Batman similar to his spawn Kickstarter.
Here’s hoping!
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:43 pm

Naw, naw, when Azrael holds that sword the crucified dude would be upside down. So it’s Peter, yeah? Heheh.
t any rate, if it’s good enough for, like, every Catholic Church ever (and in living color, graphic detail, and sometimes like ten feet tall), it’s prooooobably good enough for us. Also I presume that there’s a difference between depicting a sword with a tiny statue of a religious dude on it versus, say, Captain Nazi with a swastika.
It is pretty funny, though, that DC won’t allow guns with the toys, but is totally fine with repainting one of their figures to look like an actual Knight Templar. I guess the Crusades aren’t recent? . . . from a certain point of view.

Anyway, I love the level of detail McDC puts in their stuff. A flaming jesus sword? I’d buy that just because.
Looking forward to new reveals.
Kenobi
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:04 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 pm
Seamus McSuperfly wrote:Every time I look at Azrael, I remember that they stuck Christ on the cross on his sword hilt, and I wonder how they got away with that.
Yeah, that does seem as if it has real potential to be offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is offensive about it? It is a comic character toy. Can’t imagine who would cry over it.

Figure looks badass. My Azrael collection is growing. Feel like Todd released more of him than other company did combined.
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 pm

Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:04 pm
MagnusPrimal wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 pm
Seamus McSuperfly wrote:Every time I look at Azrael, I remember that they stuck Christ on the cross on his sword hilt, and I wonder how they got away with that.
Yeah, that does seem as if it has real potential to be offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is offensive about it? It is a comic character toy. Can’t imagine who would cry over it.

Figure looks badass. My Azrael collection is growing. Feel like Todd released more of him than other company did combined.
You really dont see how someone could see that as offensive and complain? Anytime you put any kind of religious iconography on a toy,someone somewhere will absolutely have a shitfit about it. Wasnt that long ago that Todds SPAWN figures were banned from being sold in Wal-Mart because of parental complaints.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:28 am

Well SPAWN is on his way back. They were sold for a long time there. Redeemer is probably my favorite of the bunch, although they're all so cool looking, but he honors the symbolism in my opinion. Strong, regal looking character.

In any case all this talk makes me want a classic Azrael, Azbats and Bane. Year 2 Batman is pretty much Breyfogle (I mean it's not since Breyfogle was my gateway into Batman comics, but I'll take it)
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 am

Spawn tempts me a lot. It’s where I started collecting figures as an adult. But I think I’m gonna have to resist for now. I’ve been buying a lot of new DC comics and DC trades lately, plus Todd says dozens and dozens of DC figures are on the way. So as cool as Redeemer and Gunslinger are, I think I’m passing. DC stuff takes priority.

And as much as I’m not into collecting nostalgia based figures, Todd doing Knightfall, Reign of the Supermen, and Kingdom Come, over in DCD with Multiverse articulation and scale would be a game changer.
anthonywayne
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 am
And as much as I’m not into collecting nostalgia based figures, Todd doing Knightfall, Reign of the Supermen, and Kingdom Come, over in DCD with Multiverse articulation and scale would be a game changer.
Don't forget Multiverse construction and plastic quality...
The_Man_of_the_Lamb
HULK SMASH!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 am

Kenobi wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:46 am
Todd has really lost me these last few months. If it weren’t for the GameStop sale, my last purchase would be sometime back in May I believe. Even the new Death Metal wave I haven’t even bothered to buy yet. Weak SDCC. My only real hope is the Three Jokers stuff.

Some of his choices are just dumb. The Silver Turd. A re-release of a Bane, not even a re-paint, but a straight up re-release? Was it THAT popular? Most everything I’ve seen were complaints about the engineering, movement, and color. We wanted a classic comic Bane, not this one. Ironically enough I just got in the wave from GameStop so will be opening it up later tonight. Probably paid the price for the entire wave as this re-release will be too lol.

I really want to see more classic heroes and villains. I hope these comic adaptions like Last Knight and White Knight will shift to DC Direct and Todd’s focus is on more traditional releases. I’d love to have a Legion of Doom, a completed JL lineup, more Bat-Villains, a better traditional Batman and Superman, a properly scaled Batgirl...
While I would love a classic Bane, I really wanted the one we got. I loved this story, and I love that I got figures to represent it. Also, White Knight is probably my favorite DC comic ever, so I'd love more figures from either of these comics.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”