McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Poland
Posts: 6528
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am

Welp, I'd like to praise MickDicks (for something you, USA folks, don't really care about) one more time. Availability and prices of this line here in Poland are something else. It's insane that I can easily order any figure and pay for it literally 20 or 25 bucks, after sales tax. Mind blown, after years and years of collecting when I had to import most of my toys directly from America.

As for the Brainiac discussion, both Krypton and Injustice 2 have basically the same designs but I much prefer the tv show one because he's a little more creepy looking.
User avatar
Gambitfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Pewsey, Wiltshire, England
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am
Welp, I'd like to praise MickDicks (for something you, USA folks, don't really care about) one more time. Availability and prices of this line here in Poland are something else. It's insane that I can easily order any figure and pay for it literally 20 or 25 bucks, after sales tax. Mind blown, after years and years of collecting when I had to import most of my toys directly from America.

As for the Brainiac discussion, both Krypton and Injustice 2 have basically the same designs but I much prefer the tv show one because he's a little more creepy looking.
It's the same here in the UK, this has to be the easiest line for me to collect in terms of availability. Even if I don't preorder the ones I want and wait to release date or after they been out for a while they are still available, where as Marvel Legends, Neca Tmnt and Star Wars Black series I have to pre order as they sell out much quicker.

As for Brainiac, I'll take any as he is my favourite Superman villain.
User avatar
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: US of A
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:31 am

Shinigami_PL wrote:Welp, I'd like to praise MickDicks (for something you, USA folks, don't really care about) one more time. Availability and prices of this line here in Poland are something else. It's insane that I can easily order any figure and pay for it literally 20 or 25 bucks, after sales tax. Mind blown, after years and years of collecting when I had to import most of my toys directly from America.

As for the Brainiac discussion, both Krypton and Injustice 2 have basically the same designs but I much prefer the tv show one because he's a little more creepy looking.
That's awesome that these are easy to find for European collectors. I wonder why McF seems to be the only one to figure out international distribution? I always thought companies like Hasbro were somewhat region-locked and maybe Europe had their own large mega-toy companies. I know this isn't the proper thread, but I've also wondered what cool toys lines they have that the US doesn't? Or do they just get by mostly on US and Japanese imports. I know UK has Doctor Who figures, but there has to be other unique stuff I hope.
User avatar
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Poland
Posts: 6528
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:55 am

Sloth15 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:31 am
That's awesome that these are easy to find for European collectors. I wonder why McF seems to be the only one to figure out international distribution? I always thought companies like Hasbro were somewhat region-locked and maybe Europe had their own large mega-toy companies. I know this isn't the proper thread, but I've also wondered what cool toys lines they have that the US doesn't? Or do they just get by mostly on US and Japanese imports. I know UK has Doctor Who figures, but there has to be other unique stuff I hope.
To be fair, Neca is also pretty good at it*. We've always had Neca and McFarlane stuff easily available here, since their days of releasing barely articulated statues. Everything DST is also super easy to find in comic book stores thanks to Diamond Distribution. That's probably why I never started collecting Legends, we never had any of those here. I've stopped buying Neca a few years ago because they barely produce anything of interest for me anymore, I'm not big on movie or TMNT nostalgia myself. But yeah, like GambitFan said, those figures never stay in rotation. Once they're sold out, they're sold out. Todd seems to restock most if not all of his figures regularly and has the least markup on his prices.

But, at least in Poland, the situation has drastically improved in the last two years. So much so that most Japanese imports are usually sold at the same price point I'd pay for buying and shipping them from Amiami by myself. Even ML and GI Joe Classified are here now.

Only downside is that we usually have to wait for our figures 2-3 months more than you guys, that's why I just received my John Stewart and Death Metal WW, for example. With the exception of DST products, they get here same day they're released in the US.

As for any cool local figure lines, we don't have anything like that in Poland - well, other than a line of unarticulated figures of cult 70s-90s Polish cartoon characters from a few years back.

In my case, action figure collecting is 99% relegated to online shopping since big brick and mortar stores carry basically only various 3.75" lines and Transformers, and I don't collect any of those.

*remember how bad Target is at fulfilling TMNT preorders? No problem getting them in freaking Poland :lol:
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Spawn promo pics are all over Instagram this morning. Gotta say, Todd is an evil genius. Developing this scale and style over the last couple of years on DC, MK, Witcher, Warhammer, My Hero, etc.

Then he drops the Spawn bomb. The R&D is already done. The scale is a hit. And Spawn shows up like a debutant. Genius.

Based on the Violator, Swamp Thing should be amazing.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 pm

I would say it’s a bit of a stretch to say the scale is a hit.
User avatar
Ultramane
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central AR
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:13 pm

it's the same scale that wrestling figures have been for like 15+ years and they are consistently some of the best selling lines. NECA seems to be more successful than ever these days. it's not a stretch at all.
User avatar
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: US of A
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:Spawn promo pics are all over Instagram this morning. Gotta say, Todd is an evil genius. Developing this scale and style over the last couple of years on DC, MK, Witcher, Warhammer, My Hero, etc.

Then he drops the Spawn bomb. The R&D is already done. The scale is a hit. And Spawn shows up like a debutant. Genius.

Based on the Violator, Swamp Thing should be amazing.
If I were Todd, I'd have a bronzed version of this gal, because she was the one that lit the fuse on this resurgence. When CTL dropped, people noticed the improvements from previous McF efforts and she was well deservedly praised. Best of all, McF finally listened and started giving folks what they'd been asking for - well articulated figures.Image
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3956
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm

I always find it kind of funny when people say the 6" line of figures IS the dominant scale. No...it's just the dominant scale at Hasbro. And it only feels dominant because of ML. SW BS hasn't been around nearly as long. Their other 6" scale figures aren't that old.

Pretty much every other domestic company operates in the 7" scale. S7, DST, NECA...

Tommy, I think you're giving Todd a little too much credit here. He didn't develop this scale. NECA has been doing it pretty successfully for a long time. Todd just finally articulated his figures. NECA took a page out of Todd's book with the detail, he took a page out of their book and articulated the detailed figures. The reason Spawn figures are back and are going to be successful is his other lines found an audience because he finally articulated them to modern standards. There's nothing genius about articulating adult action figures at this point. It was a genius move back in the early 2000's but at this point it's standard.

Either way, I'm excited for the figures, I've pre-ordered all of them. The only other Spawn figure I own is the MK Spawn figure which I'm pretty happy with.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm
I always find it kind of funny when people say the 6" line of figures IS the dominant scale. No...it's just the dominant scale at Hasbro. And it only feels dominant because of ML. SW BS hasn't been around nearly as long. Their other 6" scale figures aren't that old.

Pretty much every other domestic company operates in the 7" scale. S7, DST, NECA...
And some imports as well.

1/12 is more of a walled garden for collectors than they may realize, but all the same it's just perspective. If you want a single expansive collection of one property with depth towards obscurity then scale is irrelevant and you just go with whoever pumps out volume, which would be Hasbro. But if you want a wide scattershot of properties from domestic producers, 1/10 is indisputably king.

It really comes down to "I want ML King Cobra in my display next to ML Captain America" versus "I want McF Batman in my display next to MS Captain America."
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:00 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm
I always find it kind of funny when people say the 6" line of figures IS the dominant scale. No...it's just the dominant scale at Hasbro. And it only feels dominant because of ML. SW BS hasn't been around nearly as long. Their other 6" scale figures aren't that old.

Pretty much every other domestic company operates in the 7" scale. S7, DST, NECA...

Tommy, I think you're giving Todd a little too much credit here. He didn't develop this scale. NECA has been doing it pretty successfully for a long time. Todd just finally articulated his figures. NECA took a page out of Todd's book with the detail, he took a page out of their book and articulated the detailed figures. The reason Spawn figures are back and are going to be successful is his other lines found an audience because he finally articulated them to modern standards. There's nothing genius about articulating adult action figures at this point. It was a genius move back in the early 2000's but at this point it's standard.

Either way, I'm excited for the figures, I've pre-ordered all of them. The only other Spawn figure I own is the MK Spawn figure which I'm pretty happy with.
Not everything I say here is literal. When I said Todd developed the 7” scale, I meant for his company. Not the industry. As for the Mattel WWE figures, they’re all in 6.5” scale, not 7”. They scale well with DCUC. The old Jakks figures were closer to 7”. But that’s been over ten years.

6” scale was/is the dominant scale for comic/super hero figures. For 20 + years. From the original Spawn line to DCD to Marvel Legends to DCUC/Multiverse. Then came Todd changing the game. Again.

And I don’t care anymore. I like what Todd’s doing with DC. I’m in. Sounds like a lot of stuff in the pipeline. So I’ll probably pass on Spawn although it’s tempting. At 25 bucks a pop for a basic figure and no C&C is right at my tolerance line.

As to Todd’s genius, maybe it’s just opportunistic.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3956
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:28 pm

See you say not to take what you say literally....but you are saying you aren't claiming he invented the 7" scale just that he developed it for his company. Then in the very next paragraph you are giving him credit for the 7" scale in the Superhero genre. How is him making 7" figures in superheroes game changing? DST and NECA want to know.

I'm a fan of what Todd's doing with the DC line as much as the next person, but holy cow you really swing from one end of the spectrum to the other. One month he's a genius, the other month he's killing the line because he's making figures you aren't interested in.

It took a long time, but Todd has finally caught up with the rest of the action figure landscape. I don't consider that to be particularly genius personally. If I were to credit him with some genius choices it's how nimble his company seems to be. He navigated the pandemic very nicely. Hasbro looked like a dinosaur with their inability to figure out how to put product on the shelves. He took advantage of his competitor's lack of ability to stock product and I'm sure a lot of people purchased McFarlane figures (from all his licenses) because they were there. So yeah, if you claim opportunistic, I'm right there with you.

I'm willing to pay $25 for these figures because of the premium deco AND they are a line I wouldn't go very deep in. Just like any NECA product that I'm willing to drop $30 on. I only buy so many so I can justify it.

I'd be willing to drop $25 on some premium DC figures depending on the character.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 am

Ugh. I never said “tods killin teh line”. We had a lot of leaks but no announcements. That’s what I was saying. It doesn’t matter if I like the product or not, he was showing very little from DC for months. And yeah, I would rather him show stuff I’d buy, not stuff I’d pass on. Human nature being what it is. Also for 7” scale for superheroes, obviously he didn’t create it. He just took it to big box retail.

If you think I give Todd too much credit, I think he doesn’t really get enough. Without him, there’s no NECA, no DST, no Mafex or Mezco. Hell, even Hasbro and Mattel would look a lot different. He gave us detailed sculpts. 25 years ago. He gave us the 6” scale for super heroes. Toy Biz and Hasbro were both at the 5” scale back then. With the old T crotch for everything. There is no adult collector market without him. And Jesse Falcon to a lesser extent.

Todd’s opportunism came with the placement of Spawn. He’s a hired gun for the other lines. I can’t conceive that any of his current licensors aren’t pleased at the moment. But he saw his opening with his own intellectual property and took it. I would’ve too.

For premium figures, I’m with ya. Just depends on the character. For Swamp Thing or Solomon Grundy that look like that Violator, hell yeah. Is $50.00 enough? Even regular sized figures like Jack Knight or Wildcat, I’d go $25.00 for.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:53 am

Ultramane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:13 pm
it's the same scale that wrestling figures have been for like 15+ years and they are consistently some of the best selling lines. NECA seems to be more successful than ever these days. it's not a stretch at all.
As someone else pointed out, Mattel WWE figures are not in scale with McFarlane’s Multiverse. Even if they were though, what does this have to do with the scale being “a hit” for figures?

First of all, NECA has made figures in this scale for years, same as DST and others. Nothing McFarlane did changed whether people were going to buy most NECA properties produced in the scale (also the highly successful cartoon TMNT line isn’t in this scale). Just like no one was going to buy McFarlane’s DC figures because they scale with WWE figures. If anything, DC Direct and Marvel Select would be the comparison to make.

But even then it seems a lot of McFarlane figures are too big when compared to those figures, so it’s really not the scale itself that’s a hit. The Multiverse line has done a lot of things right, but the fact that they are larger than most other DC comics figures isn’t really one of them.

If anything, a lot of people were buying DC figures from McFarlane in spite of the scale, because they were new, they looked cool, they’re widely available, and there aren’t a whole lot of other affordable options for DC fans.

Whether McFarlane's other lines are roughly this size is kind of beside the point, because most of those lines were going to sell at whatever size they were released. No one was going to not buy the only affordable Warhammer 40k figures because they larger (although making them smaller would have been better if you consider how much larger than the space marines some of the other characters should be). No one was going to not buy Geralt from the Witcher because he’s 7” tall. We take what we can get there.

Anyway, I didn’t want to rehash the 6” vs 7” dispute because I honestly dont care which one is “better”. I was just saying that you probably can’t say the Multiverse figures are a success because of their scale. If anything, that’s what prevented a few of us from buying them.
User avatar
Ultramane
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central AR
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:15 am

thats an awful lot of posting to ignore that "7" scale" figures are pretty popular.

also, mattel's wwe line is absolutely 7", regardless of whether or not it's perfectly in scale with other lines from other companies.

it just sounds like its not your preferred size so you don't wanna acknowledge its popularity.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”