90’s Nostalgia: Your favorite DC Comic Stories for Todd to convert?

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 90’s Nostalgia: Your favorite DC Comic Stories for Todd to convert?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Just comparing the progression. Sopranos made people realize that TV could be good. Great in fact. GoT just upped the ante. GoT may have shit the bed in the last season but that doesn’t invalidate the previous seven. I still love it. As for Dani, when Drogo killed her brother and she didn’t intervene, that set the stage for season 8.

KC had scope that DKR didn’t. I think that’s the difference. And in terms of figures, there’s still plenty of Bat related characters to go around. Plus a bunch more.
Chooch
CROM!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 am

JLA line-up from issue 16

Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:13 am

Word.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:22 pm

War of the Gods (1991). Lots of great looks, with some mythological Gods and unique armors. Sure, this will never happen, but it is a wishlist item, and DC recently did a Dark Multiverse version of this.

Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:16 pm

Beautifully illustrated. Because that’s what George Perez does. Story was a mess IIRC.

But I’d never say no to a Perez inspired line of figures.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:31 am

Yup, messy but beautiful. Still, tugs on my heartstrings something fierce for sure.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Chooch
CROM!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:44 am

I read War of the Gods multiple times as a kid and never understood it.
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:23 am

TheRealSmallville wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:
Shinigami_PL wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:38 pm
Do we really need 3 wish list threads?
Ever get over to the Marvel thread? Three is low.

How about a Batman/Spawn 2 pack to commemorate the team-up book?

Knightfall is only a matter of time because it's Batman. It's the storyline that I jumped into Batman with, so I will be all for it.

I think Reign of Supermen is the next most likely, I would love to see Todd do the four "new" Supermen" a true Doomsday, and the obligatory, easy repaint black suit Superman.

Wally West (favorite Flash) and Kyle Rayner (favorite GL) would both be a buy for me. And although it's not my favorite look, hook hand Aquaman seems right up Todd's alley.
I said it earlier, but you could easily get a couple waves out of a Death/Return of Superman set.

Wave 1 (the obvious):

Cyborg Superman
Superboy
Steel
Eradicator
• BaF Doomsday

Wave 2:
Black Suit Superman w/long hair
Matrix Supergirl
Mongul
Lex Luthor II (business suit or Team Luthor armor)
• BaF Kryptonian Warsuit

Wave 3 (for kicks)
Battle Damaged Superman (Doomsday battle)
Superman Returned (slightly darker blue suit, long hair)
Lois Lane w/ torn cape diorama piece
Guardian
• BaF Superman Memorial Statue

(alternate wave 3 "Hunter/Prey")
Superman in Hunter/Prey suit
Waverider
Cyborg Superman in Apokolips Armor
The Radiant
• BaF Darkseid

None of this outside of the 4 Supermen & probably Doomsday + black suit Superman are in the realm of possibility, but if we're tossing out wishes, why not?
Damn. I think I’d buy every one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:33 am

I dunno, Matrix Supergirl and Mongul may have a shot. Guardian and Waverider would make my decade and signal Todd is ready to plumb the D-Z list.
VictorD10010
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:14 am

ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:17 am

Realistic or not I would also take that Superman list RealSmallville. Actually I would add Massacre and Conduit somewhere as well. Reign of the Supermen was my top want back when Todd got the license and we were all just waiting to see the first reveals for a long time. A cool Capullo Batman and something satisfying from the Man of Steel were my top wants.
TheRealSmallville
Avengers Assemble

Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:37 am

ditko wrote:Realistic or not I would also take that Superman list RealSmallville. Actually I would add Massacre and Conduit somewhere as well. Reign of the Supermen was my top want back when Todd got the license and we were all just waiting to see the first reveals for a long time. A cool Capullo Batman and something satisfying from the Man of Steel were my top wants.
I have a huge soft spot for Conduit as well. They did a great job making him sympathetic, it wasn't his fault he was constantly competing against developing superpowers. I liked Braverman quite a bit.

I'm down for Massacre, but he's gotta come with his little buddy...Skimmer, I think? Been a while, I could have that wrong. If we're tossing out wild Superman ideas, the Underworlders could be fun, too.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:54 am

100% my favorite 90’s story is still Golden Age. My all time favorite Elseworld tale. Never gonna happen as figures, but it did lay tracks for Starman and the JSA titles that came later. It’s pretty much an ensemble cast made up of a few big names and a bunch of lesser known characters. GA Green Lantern, Atom, and Johnny Thunder are the JSA big guns. Rest of the cast didn’t even make the Seven Soldiers of Victory. But it’d be the only real shot at Johnny Quick, Liberty Belle, Robotman, Manhunter, etc. Still not holding my breath.

Kingdom Come is still a close second. And far more likely for figures.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:28 pm

I have to second The Golden Age as perhaps the best (non-Batman-centered) limited series of the 90s. I agree we won’t see anything specifically branded from TGA from Todd, but I’ll bet we get some figures that align with that story’s cast.

It would be frigging great to get Dynaman, preferably with a variant with unmasked head with loony “devil-worshipping Nazi” expression.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:25 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:37 am
ditko wrote:Realistic or not I would also take that Superman list RealSmallville. Actually I would add Massacre and Conduit somewhere as well. Reign of the Supermen was my top want back when Todd got the license and we were all just waiting to see the first reveals for a long time. A cool Capullo Batman and something satisfying from the Man of Steel were my top wants.
I have a huge soft spot for Conduit as well. They did a great job making him sympathetic, it wasn't his fault he was constantly competing against developing superpowers. I liked Braverman quite a bit.

I'm down for Massacre, but he's gotta come with his little buddy...Skimmer, I think? Been a while, I could have that wrong. If we're tossing out wild Superman ideas, the Underworlders could be fun, too.
Skimmer! Yes that was his little buddy. That he wanted to kill. It would be odd for Todd to not make Reign of the Superman somewhere over the duration of his license. I always saw 2022 making sense. That storyline was a direct commentary about Image Comics and the state of the business though so I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it not happening.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”