McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm

Drink.

Kingdom Come is my second favorite Elseworld behind Golden Age and the natural follow up to DKR. It’s got Batman and family, as well as a whole lot of other iconic characters in the mix. Hawkman, Flash, and Green Lantern FTW. For a retro look at the DCU, go with New Frontier.

White Knight seems likely.

However, outside of KC, I still think I’d like to see Todd take a run at DCeased. Perhaps the most interesting of DC’s recent alt universes. Superhero techno zombies and a fun, interesting version of the Justice League. What’s not to like?
User avatar
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:03 pm
Better than DCD and Mattel.

Now I really wanna see Kingdom Come, New Frontier, Red Rain, Gotham by Gaslight, Flashpoint, One Million, more White Knight, more Red Son, and definitely wanna see DCeased done by Todd.
I have the Mattel DKR Armored Batman, Robin, & Joker figures and they are all excellent stylized versions... and most importantly 6 in scale!
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:16 pm



Obviously a custom, but still, the Batmobile I want.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4638
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm
Drink.

Kingdom Come is my second favorite Elseworld behind Golden Age and the natural follow up to DKR. It’s got Batman and family, as well as a whole lot of other iconic characters in the mix. Hawkman, Flash, and Green Lantern FTW. For a retro look at the DCU, go with New Frontier.

White Knight seems likely.

However, outside of KC, I still think I’d like to see Todd take a run at DCeased. Perhaps the most interesting of DC’s recent alt universes. Superhero techno zombies and a fun, interesting version of the Justice League. What’s not to like?
DCeased seems likely...however I'd be curious to know how well DCeased did for DCC. Now that Todd's basically taking over I'm sure he has the sales data to look at. Then the question is would DCeased do better with McFarlane figures if the sales were indeed weak.

I'd say WK is all but guaranteed. He came back to do the bat-cycle a full year after the initial run of figures so it's a line that's still on his mind. Plus the 2-pack. It would be great if he timed a wave of figures to coincide with book 3.

As far as those other stories...I feel like they are 50/50. Everyone knows DKR. It's iconic and considered to be "the greatest Batman story ever." I personally don't think this but it's the common theme with this story. I think it's a fine story that has historical significance but has since been surpassed and is now overrated. It's got this weird cult like obsession where anytime someone makes a DKR reference it's "proof" that they "know Batman."

Point is, most people familiar with DC comics know about DKR. Most people who read comics have read it even if they haven't read any other Batman comics because someone told them it's a "must read."

Kingdom come (dang, now I need to drink) is a step below DKR in terms of general public awareness. That doesn't mean it's not a worthy story. It definitely deserves it's place in the sun but for whatever reason just isn't quite at the weird obsession level that DKR has.

DKR is almost a right of passage when it comes to making DC figures. You have to make them....to see how yours measure up. I think that's why these are happening. Because despite everyone already having had multiple other toy companies who've made these figures....people will always buy another set.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:45 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm
Drink.

Kingdom Come is my second favorite Elseworld behind Golden Age and the natural follow up to DKR. It’s got Batman and family, as well as a whole lot of other iconic characters in the mix. Hawkman, Flash, and Green Lantern FTW. For a retro look at the DCU, go with New Frontier.

White Knight seems likely.

However, outside of KC, I still think I’d like to see Todd take a run at DCeased. Perhaps the most interesting of DC’s recent alt universes. Superhero techno zombies and a fun, interesting version of the Justice League. What’s not to like?
DCeased seems likely...however I'd be curious to know how well DCeased did for DCC. Now that Todd's basically taking over I'm sure he has the sales data to look at. Then the question is would DCeased do better with McFarlane figures if the sales were indeed weak.

I'd say WK is all but guaranteed. He came back to do the bat-cycle a full year after the initial run of figures so it's a line that's still on his mind. Plus the 2-pack. It would be great if he timed a wave of figures to coincide with book 3.

As far as those other stories...I feel like they are 50/50. Everyone knows DKR. It's iconic and considered to be "the greatest Batman story ever." I personally don't think this but it's the common theme with this story. I think it's a fine story that has historical significance but has since been surpassed and is now overrated. It's got this weird cult like obsession where anytime someone makes a DKR reference it's "proof" that they "know Batman."

Point is, most people familiar with DC comics know about DKR. Most people who read comics have read it even if they haven't read any other Batman comics because someone told them it's a "must read."

Kingdom come (dang, now I need to drink) is a step below DKR in terms of general public awareness. That doesn't mean it's not a worthy story. It definitely deserves it's place in the sun but for whatever reason just isn't quite at the weird obsession level that DKR has.

DKR is almost a right of passage when it comes to making DC figures. You have to make them....to see how yours measure up. I think that's why these are happening. Because despite everyone already having had multiple other toy companies who've made these figures....people will always buy another set.
I know it’s always tempting to compare DCC to Mattel or McFarlane. I’m just not sure it’s an apples to apples comparison. I’m not too sure the DCeased figures even made it out to comic shops. Not in big numbers anyway. Todd will put his spin on it too. Zombie Trinity followed by a wave of non zombie heroes like Jon Kent/Superman, Damian Wayne/Batman, and Dinah Lance/Green Lantern. Then there’s Cyborg, Mr. Miracle, Barda, Deathstroke, Ravager, Red Hood, Ivy, and Harley and that barely scratches the surface.

And yeah, Kingdom Come isn’t as big a deal as DKR. It wasn’t first. But structurally, it’s a better story with a bigger view of the DCU. There’s a reason it hasn’t been out of print for 25 years.

The rest, you’re probably right. I have a tough time seeing Todd go retro for New Frontier. Red Rain is a one-off at best. As is Steam Punk Gotham by Gaslight Batman. But these are still Batman and fun versions at that.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:39 am

Something else of note occurred today. The Michael B. Jordan/Val Zod Superman project for HBO MAX named the writers for the pilot. For those who don’t know Val Zod is the New 52 Earth 2 Superman. Created by Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott. He’s also black. From Krypton. And although not as prominent, he’s a more interesting character to me in some ways than Calvin Ellis/Superman who is a thinly veiled Obama stand in. Zod was one of four Kryptonians rocketed to Earth when that planet exploded. His upbringing was as a pacifist, but he eventually saw the need for there to be a Superman. He wasn’t really ready, but he jumped in nonetheless. Costume is pretty cool. Nicola Scott strikes again.

So if the pilot hasn’t been written, it’ll be a bit before this project hits the small screen. Plenty of time for the DC publishing arm to get Zod back in the game. And for Todd to make a first time figure for him ahead of the TV show coming out.
jaygarrick1940
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 am

After seeing new images of the horse, I'm picturing a Jonah Hex box set with a repainted horse. Although, Jonah would have sword since he can't have a gun.

Also, the horse reminds me of the horses I have with Lone Ranger & Tonto. They are 12" from Mego (I think). Similar size as G.I. Joe and Barbie.
BruceKent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Palm Coast, FL.
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:09 pm

I have a fairly strict no Michael B. Jordan policy,just don’t like the guy.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:55 pm

I bit off topic but I just realized I might need to get another horse to use on my princess bride zorro kitbash custom. It’ll make a great tornado for him to ride in.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 pm

BruceKent wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:09 pm
I have a fairly strict no Michael B. Jordan policy,just don’t like the guy.
No opinion one way or the other on MBJ. I just want an Earth 2 Val Zod comic figure.
OfficialJihad
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:40 pm

NEW BATMAN wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:20 pm
This is a surprise, some in hand shots of the dkr wave.
I saw that pic of Batman & Robin standing in front of the horse & now I’m all in on this wave.
User avatar
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: No where that important
Posts: 4286
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 9:57 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:37 pm

The horse and Batman look good in that second pic but in real life he would have a hard time trying to get on that horse with it's height.
He would have to get a running start grab the horn of the saddle and at the same time swing his opposite leg of the stirrup across the back side of that horse.
Alas it's comics and action figures though, lol.
FPJonesIII
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:46 pm

The Batman figure has been growing on me. I'm still not a big fan of his facial expression, but... I might end up getting him. Joker is the only absolute pass for me, so hopefully I'll be and to find his horse pieces online.
User avatar
Ultramane
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central AR
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:51 pm

with this reveal that joker's pants aren't white, that makes the whole wave pretty acceptable now
User avatar
IamI
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 pm

I was able to get an Arkham Knight head on this Batman figure:
https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigur ... &id=111312

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”