McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:40 pm

I figured you were joking and I was mostly just following up in case others thought that would really happen.

I am wondering if there's a bit of a shakeup going on though. I mean Losha is no longer designing figures for McFarlane...and he did design some really great figures. However....pretty much all of the figures in the line that had single jointed elbows were designed by him. I'm wondering if the way he sculpts the figures just lends themselves to single jointed elbows more often than not. Maybe they wanted to bring in designers who sculpt with articulation in mind and leave room for double jointed elbows?

Just idle speculation as we wait for Etrigan and King Shazam to go up for pre-order.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:58 pm

I think that any company that’s expanded the way McFarlane Toys has in 18 months is gonna experience growing pains to some degree. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some sorta shakeup. And DC is still Todd’s biggest license. If it gets more attention, it’s because it probably should.
Ultramane
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:40 pm
However....pretty much all of the figures in the line that had single jointed elbows were designed by him. I'm wondering if the way he sculpts the figures just lends themselves to single jointed elbows more often than not.
i can't imagine that has anything to do with it considering most of the figures they did have double jointed elbows anyway and there's plenty they didn't sculpt that also have single elbows. as far as i can tell it doesn't matter anyway as i don't think they designed or made any engineering choices, simply just sculpted the figures.
maverick10126

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:54 pm

The single jointed elbow figures in this line are...

AC1000, Animated Batman, Animate Superman, Animated GL, Hellbat, Unchained Superman, Arkham Batman, Azrael, WK Batman, Devastator, Az-bat, Animated Cyborg, Merciless, Bane, Red Son, Robin, Crow Robin, Robin King, Grodd.

Almost every figure on that list was designed by Losha.

The BAF are going to be single jointed no matter what.

What I'm getting at is the way he sculpts his arms you can't really make double jointed elbows out of them. Look at WK Batman for instance. The way the upper arm integrates into the forearm muscles, it all blends together. So if an engineer took the sculpt and tried to cut it up for double jointed elbows, it just wont work. Compare that to the Infected Superman buck and you see how there's a separation between the muscles on the upper and lower arms built into the sculpt. Its sculpted with an engineering solution in mind.

I'm sure there are a million reasons to change up designers and we will never know for sure the reasoning. But I do find it an interesting coincidence that the majority of the figures that happened to have single jointed elbows were designed by the person who was just let go.

On a side note, does anyone know who else designs figures for McFarlane? Or any other cool figure designers that are worth following on IG. I like seeing the 3d sculpts before they turn into figures.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:37 am

This is one of the many things that end up being issues due to mcfarlanes process of chopping a standard set of articulation into solid sculpts.

Same issue that so often causes scale problems or ugly joints and as discussed single joints.

If they sculpted with articulation integrated it'd be better but eh whatever.
maverick10126

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:50 am

The flip side is McFarlane's turn around time on figures seems to be a fraction of Hasbros for newly sculpted figures. Im not sure what their process is exactly but Hasbro says they create figures in 18 months, clearly thats not the case with McFarlane.
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:17 pm

supreme-d wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:53 am
But even then it seems a lot of McFarlane figures are too big when compared to those figures, so it’s really not the scale itself that’s a hit. The Multiverse line has done a lot of things right, but the fact that they are larger than most other DC comics figures isn’t really one of them.

If anything, a lot of people were buying DC figures from McFarlane in spite of the scale, because they were new, they looked cool, they’re widely available, and there aren’t a whole lot of other affordable options for DC fans.
This is 100% it for me. Would I have preferred the Marvel Legends/DC Classics scale for display purposes? Yeah. The greedy nerd in me says maybe less plastic for a figure means more plastic in alternate heads/accessories. But that's never really been Todd's style.

What I wanted more than anything...quality DC figures. New sculpts, articulation, and a company that gave a s$#! about putting out a solid product. I've been thrilled with McFarlane. Even the figures I don't have any interest in (like Snyder Justice League) are well done. I always feel like I'm getting my money's worth spending $20-$25 on these.

Quality matters most. I would have collected more 7" scale DC Direct/Collectibles but the QC on most lines was dreadful.
NorrinRadd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 pm

Whoops! I wandered into the McFarlane Scale thread by mistake. Is the main McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse thread down the hall this way?
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:59 am

Does the constant condescension over the subject matter of posts exist on the other threads here? Or just this one?

How blasphemous, the posting of an action figure opinion on an action figure forum.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 am

You just have to have the right opinion. Which I usually don’t.
Avon
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:44 am

The sculpt/articulation thing is interesting. From what I read, the thought is that the sculpts are done and then the factory look at how to build articulation in, right? No idea how much that is assumption/guesswork on the fan community’s part or actually what happens but I’d love to know more. There’s definitely things about the execution of the articulation that feel like they could be improved by little tweaks - eg building in to the mould a channel for the ball pegs to allow more range/sculpting clearance in the butt cheeks to allow the use of the swivel joint etc.

I have to say, I am loving McFarlane stuff above all others at the moment. Struggling to choose the next figure to pick up: noob Saibot, a battle sister or batman beyond. And I’m not fussed by scale in any great degree, but the line has made me want to try out a select silver centurion, just to see how they look together.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:21 am

No, all factories do is build the injecting mold tooling based on the prototypes that the companies send them.

A toy company is responsible for all aspects of the toy's design, including sculpt, articulation, parts count, paint masters to show what parts need to be painted in what colors, and all of that. But mistakes are made along the way and every step of the process needs to be approved or corrected. All that back and forth is why toys take so long to manufacture.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Better pics of Etrigan and King Shazam at toynewsi.com
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:44 pm

You know that you can... just post a direct link, right? Don't be lazy.
https://toynewsi.com/14-39394

Gonna buy both and will turn Billy into Black Adam, I like the "evil" costume.

Etrigan has single elbows.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Or IG posts work as well so they can be scrolled through in the comfort of Fwoosh.
They both look really good, I think. Etrigan is so clean and with a mostly neutral face, but it's an interesting look for him. I'm glad he comes with a sword, even if he barely used it in Demon Knights.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”

Recent Topics