Mezco Toyz One:12 Collective 6 inch DC figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
MollyMillions
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Mezco Toyz One:12 Collective 6 inch DC figures

Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 am

allfigurative wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:10 am
The black Krig is also the only one that's not a duplicate in the lore. All the other ones come in 2s and 4s, so there's probably more appeal to army build.
By your icon, you must be as hyped as I about Diana finally shipping.
allfigurative
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 am

I think Classic Diana will probably still be my favorite, but yes, I'm definitely ready to finally have her in hand!
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm

So I'm new to One:12, with Constantine as my first preorder (from Dorkside, yay Dorkside!). Are Mez preorders often late? Judging by the tenor of the conversation I'm starting to get that impression. And are there any announced DC figures beyond him, or is it too far out to know that yet? I'm hoping they make more magic characters.
kojigritton
Customized

Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm

secondwhiteline wrote:So I'm new to One:12, with Constantine as my first preorder (from Dorkside, yay Dorkside!). Are Mez preorders often late? Judging by the tenor of the conversation I'm starting to get that impression. And are there any announced DC figures beyond him, or is it too far out to know that yet? I'm hoping they make more magic characters.
They are late more often than not, through no fault of Dorkside’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MollyMillions
Avengers Assemble

Wed May 05, 2021 2:01 am

secondwhiteline wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm
So I'm new to One:12, with Constantine as my first preorder (from Dorkside, yay Dorkside!). Are Mez preorders often late? Judging by the tenor of the conversation I'm starting to get that impression. And are there any announced DC figures beyond him, or is it too far out to know that yet? I'm hoping they make more magic characters.
Always late.

Never trust a release window.
Order.
Set the money aside.
Forget about it until a year or two later when you see it's shipping.

I'm not joking or being bitter.

They haven't announced any magic characters since Fate and Constantine.

They are a clandestine company with a clandestine pipeline. You will see drops you never heard of come and go before your order ships. Licensed. Internal. Doesn't matter. If I had a genie lamp, I would spend a wish to understand their development process.
MldMnrdReporter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 2:35 am

MollyMillions wrote:
If I had a genie lamp, I would spend a wish to understand their development process.
This. 1000x this. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in that office. I have this striking suspicion it's run like a Jerry Springer episode.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm

mat-chow wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 am
Just reiterating my comment on the last page in case it got buried- Mr Freeze is delayed to the Sep-Nov window.
LOL, he was supposed to be out at that time last year!
MollyMillions
Avengers Assemble

Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am

MldMnrdReporter wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:35 am
MollyMillions wrote:
If I had a genie lamp, I would spend a wish to understand their development process.
This. 1000x this. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall in that office. I have this striking suspicion it's run like a Jerry Springer episode.
Misread as Seinfeld at first, but I bet both are accurate.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm

MollyMillions wrote:
They are a clandestine company with a clandestine pipeline. You will see drops you never heard of come and go before your order ships. Licensed. Internal. Doesn't matter. If I had a genie lamp, I would spend a wish to understand their development process.
I'm truly enjoying how arcane you make them sound.
MollyMillions
Avengers Assemble

Thu May 06, 2021 10:44 pm

secondwhiteline wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm
MollyMillions wrote:
I'm truly enjoying how arcane you make them sound.
I have been with Mezco since the original Hellboy output. Then they weren't on my radar during my non-collecting era until 1:12 Collective hit. Love the Daredevil, original Spidey, and of course their Batman trilogy. Since I was already into the reborn Marvel Legends thanks to 2016 X-Men and Pizza Spidey, I decided to make Mezco my DC Focus.

My goal: a Mezco Justice League and a Mezco Gotham. I like to set goals, I'm far from a completionist. A roster-ist?

I learned things about the evolving industry from this. Arrow and Flash were the first figures I'd ever had to order directly from my LCS, no hunt. That was nice. And you got a lot of accessories and display options for the price.

I was used to comic con exclusives, but to get purple Catwoman (I love the Jim Balent era) I had to set an alarm and get an order in amongst a crashing website.

Catwoman was the first time I really clocked Mezco's lead time and processes. The normal one hit first, after some months. Then I received an email that there was a "problem" with PX Catwoman, and it would be delayed. For the record, this is the only time ever I have been notified by Mezco to expect a delay. To this day, they just update the site with no change log, and you have to flip through the catalog to test their date against the last one you noted.

Rumours abounded of a factory error, a lost cargo container at sea, whatever. Eventually she arrived.

She was improved over the original: the joints were sturdier, and her unmasked head was improved. No reviews on YouTube, even D Amazing, ever address this, but if you own both, or pull up photos, the head has a better paint job, a slightly tweaked jawline, and most importantly, new sculpting in the hair that adds a few more spiky tufts that add more flair. Never mentioned by reviewers or Mezco.

Mezco will never mention anything. By their own admission in a rare recent interview, most of the figures at ToyFair and the Cons are smoke and mirrors. Glue and hatchet job sewing. Posed behind glass as an idea of maybe what you'll get. We're used to that part of the industry.

What we're not used to is seeing the same figures behind glass over a year. Two years. Licensed characters Pending forever. Sweet promises of May-August, February to Maybe?, and Soon. What could be taking so long? Those who picked up John Wick would probably say, "Not QA!", but Mezco is aware of their timelines and gaps in product rollout.

This is where the arcanery comes in.

They introduced Gomez, their mascot, as a con exclusive. A Roach in a suit. A Roach in street wear. They are amazing figures. Articulation is top tier. The accessories overflow, the soft goods are the best they've ever done. So of course, let's make them ultra limited. They continue the roach drip with a samurai, and then use this same body to concoct a three pack of skull characters. They're basically reuse, Street Gomez with new parts and accessories.

This thing sells out in ten minutes.

Now they have the formula. I call it the Supreme Clothing model. Make it limited, generate buzz, and sell out. Repeat.

You may say, "If they really want sales, why not make Gomez a permanent fixture?" It's because Gomez/the Skulls are reuse. We like to complain about Hasbro reuse, but Mezco? They use the same buck (most of the cost) and slowly raise the price and lower the accessories.

Baron Bends may as well be Barren Bends when you open his box. Six hands total? Compared to the PSCC and early Gomez, that's nuts. Sure, they had to mold new heads and the armor, but they forced you to grab a bundle to get the guy. And I did.

The Black Skull Brigade is a stripped down Stealth Ops Gomez. With way less weaponry, fashion accessories, and even hands. Compared to prior Skulls like Pink or Ninja or even White (he had a coat!), the Black Skulls are a little disappointing in hand. I have four because I like thugs to beat up.

The Krig figures (we're on variant 3 of 4) are repurposed Marvel's Cable figures.

Doc Noc was on the FFH Spidey, which is a great little body. Let me backtrack to Catwoman from here.

Catwoman is single jointed everything. You cannot do anything catlike with her. You cannot even do action with her. It's terrible. All females they produce have single joints. They have said that the joints are too skinny for this sort of articulation.

Meanwhile, FFH Spidey comes out, as small and lithe as Catwoman, and has to be the most poseable Spidey I've had since the Classics one. Doc Noc, too. You can't put these limbs on the females going forward? Even in the recent interview about Spider-Gwen, Mez would not commit to discussing her articulation. Which maybe is a cryptic Yes, We Finally Addressed It, but look at Gwen's promo shots. That is the Catwoman body.

However! They may not mean anything. As said before, smoke and mirrors up to release. Maybe that's the body they had on hand to sew up for the reveal. John Wick changed a few times, for better and worse.

Now lets go back to Gomez and... say, you're Constantine.

You might see Constantine's date get bumped. You might see him shift to 2022. All the while, you'll see more Gomez and Skulls and Rumble Society drop out of nowhere, ready to be shipped the week you order it.

This is where everyone's frustration sets in, as far as I've ever seen. Even those who love Gomez.

Why is Mr. Freeze over a year delayed?
Why did it take a year and a half to produce essentially a repaint with some new parts for Modern Wonder Woman?
Why is Destro (new IP!) up for PO now when things like Bishop (out as of this writing, but still) from last year haven't been put up?
And new this week, Why is black Krig out for way cheaper now without the dumb con box?

We have some answers to why things are the way they are. The company head is the final creative word on who gets made and how they do it. He has a particular vision of every IP, and that's what we get.

From his own interview, they don't have people overseas overseeing fabric acquisition, and things come and go, which is why what we see on the toy floor can differ to what we buy.

I love the line. The last few years have been growing pains - getting their own IPs out to pad their production and releases, they surely feel confident that even though DC and Marvel and horror see ridiculous delays, they want to pile GI Joe and MMPR and other things into the mix.

You will find that once they have taken your money and you optimistically get excited for that upcoming release date, it's just more smoke and mirrors. You will see things you don't care about go up, sell out, and ship while you're just waiting on your thing. You'll get excited for Spider-Gwen, then see that first, they have to drop a $155 dollar Wolverine display piece, which is also cool, but where the hell did it come from and why is it for sale now, I need my money in hand now, and stuff from a year or two ago isn't even up for order. And will this Wolverine even make that window? Because the Rumble Society stuff always does, so you must hope.

I love the line. If I sound jaded, it's because they just don't communicate. Super7, Hasbro, and NECA earn my trust solely off of the fact they'll put some face time in and give answers. Maybe they lie. I don't know. At least they talk to us.

It's also a line that I believe has many consumers, but not a lot of fans. Lots of resellers out there. Lots of casuals who will buy the PX Batman, then ask when Batman ever wore blue anyway, and you missed out on that order, so you quietly rage at that guy.

It's a frustrating line. When it is great, it is great. Jor-El Speech inspire us to greatness, great.

When they miss, the misses are as titanic.
Diego
I wish I had super powers

Fri May 07, 2021 3:54 am

^^^ EPIC

I remember the Samurai Gomez. It was like a joke everyone else but me would get. The figure looked awesome to me, but I kept wondering why it had the roach head. I was like "Man, why not a tiger head? If this had ben an anthropomorphic tiger this could had been something like a Rakshasa. Or you could have used a Tengu face... but the roach mascot?"

I think that Baron Bends and other original characters are awesome. Others I don't get, like the pink skulls. But I understand that there are a lot of toy enthusiasts who want a bunch of these to "pose, play and display".
herohunt
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm

That is a very well done post. I just wanted to add my thoughts here.

I have been collecting Mezco since the beginning of the One:12 Collective line. My focus for a long time was DC and Marvel but I didn’t feel the need to own all of them. I totally passed on the Gomez and Rumble Society in house lines at first but I have since been drawn in to collecting those.

In fact, I’m losing interest in the Marvel and DC lines because of the in house lines. I enjoy collecting these figures so much that the reuse doesn’t bother me at all. The bundles are annoying as heck especially if they rerelease the figure later. But for me that's just part of it. The limited nature of these items is part of the fun. But admittedly these are not for everyone.

The long waits for the other lines are sadly part of this non-traditional business model that all of these collector centric lines have to use now. There are so many lines to collect that I don't really think that much about it. If these are the only things you collect then it would be way more annoying. But Mezco doesn't take money up front except for the NRD on preorders. PayPal is the only exception there. You can always order from other places that don't require the NRD but recently BBTS has started requiring an NRD too, at least on the Wolverine figure.

I know some issues are frustrating and becoming more and more common but I would prefer to focus on the positive and not the negatives. :)
Mister Voorhees
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm

My Dr. Fate arrived today. He turned out better than I thought he would. In the promo pictures I thought the gold plastic parts of the costume looked dull and feared they'd turn out like Aquaman's gold armor parts (which I thought looked like they cheap plastic; no paint apps or any sort of wash). Instead, the gold parts are pretty well done -- they have two tones to them, making them look nice.

Just about everything else on the figure is well done, too. The cape is great, the body is one of Mezco's best ones, and all the accessories are nice (especially the book and extra helmet). My only negative is that the neck articulation is lacking due to the light-up feature. You can't really get him looking up or down.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”