Hasbro's Starting Line Up

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Hasbro's Starting Line Up

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Scotch n Ciggs wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:56 am
I'd be fine with the jerseys if they were a little softer. I get there being some licensing thing that could've caused them to go this route but wish it had some more flexibility to it.

Love that the thigh swivel is under the shorts. Wish marvel legends could get away with doing that
Hmm? Seems like an ideal way to do a green robed Mandarin.
Neil Magnum
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:17 am

Put some fire effects pieces and rocket boosters on the sneakers, gives it a NBA Jam vibe.

RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:45 am

HE'S ON FIRE!!!
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Pulse is running a holiday sale today on most in-stock items.

25% off with code HOLIDAY25 for Premium members.

20% off with code HOLIDAY20 for non-Premium members.

Works on all Starting Lineup.

Under $40 with tax, includes a magazine, includes the NFT they're discontinuing December 2nd.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:10 pm

Neil Magnum wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:17 am
Put some fire effects pieces and rocket boosters on the sneakers, gives it a NBA Jam vibe.

That's wicked! Cool idea!
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:59 am

PG-Superfan wrote:

Under $40 with tax, includes a magazine, includes the NFT they're discontinuing December 2nd.
Really pissed that they are now running this promo.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:46 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:59 am
PG-Superfan wrote:

Really pissed that they are now running this promo.
Well, as near as I can tell, the line didn't exactly succeed all that well at full price.

The line was exclusive to Pulse and Fanatics.

In two months of being up for order, none of the figures sold more than 1000 units on Pulse. It's doubtful many sold on Fanatics. None of the figures had more than around 200 NFTs of all rarities combined redeemed through Panini. And none of those NFTs sold terribly well for people who opted to auction them off.

I may be wrong but my inclination is to think that this line failed to make much of an impression.

Pulse exclusives tend to sell thousands or tens of thousands in a day and this seems to have sold about a thousand in two months.

Honestly, once the NFT offer expires and they run out of promotional magazines, I wouldn't be shocked if Hasbro tried to unload their wave 1 stock at a bigger discount on eBay.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:07 am

Comes down to price and execution for me. I hope this isn't an omen for sports figures going forward, but I'd bet it is.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:31 am

Yeah it just sucks because I don't even have my figure yet and it's already being discounted and a freebie magazine is being thrown in to help move it. If I've had it for a few months already then it wouldn't bother me as much. But it's the fact that it's completely new still.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:27 pm

I've actually really enjoyed this line so far. But I'm a die hard NBA and NFL fan, so my opinion may be a bit biased. I've been collecting Sports figures longer than any other types figures honestly. It used to be McFarlane Sports picks and I had a TON of those. But ever since McFarlane gave up the license back in 2018-2019, there's been next to nothing for NFL and NBA figures being produced. It was a long 3-4 years of no sports figures, to the point where I started resorting to paying $150+ to get customs made because I legitimately wondered if we'd ever see Sports figures again after McFarlanes lines flamed out. But just in 2022 , Sports figures have been "back" in a sense between Imports Dragon new McFarlane styled NFL figures, and now Starting Lineups new age NBA figures, and hopefully NFL in 2023...

With all that being said, I'm already very nervous for the future of this Starting Lineup reboot. Between the outrageous $50 price tag, to the underwhelming "details" on some of the figures themselves, I worry this line won't last long.

$50 wouldn't be bad if the figures were better. The figures aren't bad by any means, and for me personally the only thing that really bothers me is the lack of the players tattoos. I think most of the headsculpts range from average to great. Luka, Trae and Tatum all look damn near spot on, but Embiid, Giannis and Morant could be way better.

Unfortunately, I think we are already at a crossroads with this line and it sucks. Hasbro either needs to give us better or more for the $50 price point, or they drop the price point down to $35 where it probably should be. Otherwise, and I hope this doesn't happen, but this line might be dead before it even really gets going. The fact that they are already dropping the NFTs, makes me worried this line has totally flopped already and Hasbro is trying to save money anyway they can. The NFT part was a dumb idea in the first place...

For $50 you should get
-highly articulated figure, with better details including better headsculpts and tattoos
- At least 3 total headsulpts
- Stand
- 6+ interchangeable hands
- 2 different pairs of interchangeable shoes
- Trading Card
- NFT

If they drop the price down to $35
- Same figure we are getting now
- Same accessories we are getting now
- Trading Card

Hopefully the worst case scenario is we at least still get the first NFL wave they just teased, and the 2nd NBA wave they teased in the Slam mini Mag. But sadly, I'm not holding my breath because everything points to this reboot being an utter disaster so far...
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:30 pm

I've actually really enjoyed this line so far. But I'm a die hard NBA and NFL fan, so my opinion may be a bit biased. I've been collecting Sports figures longer than any other types figures honestly. It used to be McFarlane Sports picks and I had a TON of those. But ever since McFarlane gave up the license back in 2018-2019, there's been next to nothing for NFL and NBA figures being produced. It was a long 3-4 years of no sports figures, to the point where I started resorting to paying $150+ to get customs made because I legitimately wondered if we'd ever see Sports figures again after McFarlanes lines flamed out. But just in 2022 , Sports figures have been "back" in a sense between Imports Dragon new McFarlane styled NFL figures, and now Starting Lineups new age NBA figures, and hopefully NFL in 2023...

With all that being said, I'm already very nervous for the future of this Starting Lineup reboot. Between the outrageous $50 price tag, to the underwhelming "details" on some of the figures themselves, I worry this line won't last long.

$50 wouldn't be bad if the figures were better. The figures aren't bad by any means, and for me personally the only thing that really bothers me is the lack of the players tattoos. I think most of the headsculpts range from average to great. Luka, Trae and Tatum all look damn near spot on, but Embiid, Giannis and Morant could be way better.

Unfortunately, I think we are already at a crossroads with this line and it sucks. Hasbro either needs to give us better or more for the $50 price point, or they drop the price point down to $35 where it probably should be. Otherwise, and I hope this doesn't happen, but this line might be dead before it even really gets going. The fact that they are already dropping the NFTs, makes me worried this line has totally flopped already and Hasbro is trying to save money anyway they can. The NFT part was a dumb idea in the first place...

For $50 you should get
-highly articulated figure, with better details including better headsculpts and tattoos
- At least 3 total headsulpts
- Stand
- 6+ interchangeable hands
- 2 different pairs of interchangeable shoes
- Trading Card
- NFT

If they drop the price down to $35
- Same figure we are getting now
- Same accessories we are getting now
- Trading Card

Hopefully the worst case scenario is we at least still get the first NFL wave they just teased, and the 2nd NBA wave they teased in the Slam mini Mag. But sadly, I'm not holding my breath because everything points to this reboot being an utter disaster so far...

On the plus side, if this line does get canceled soon, if will probably make this first NBA wave worth a lot more, and the NFTs might sky rocket in value lol
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:51 am

Finally have my Curry in hand and it's definitely a better made figure then your typical ML but it's also not worth the price tag even if you care about the stand, card and NFT. The exclusivity of it was suppose to drive demand but it came out a year late. If the NFT market was still bull, then I can justify the $50 because I would have tried to resell it and get $20 back or something.

With that said, the choice to make the jersey vinyl was a mistake. It severely hinders any natural articulation and pose you want to put them in. They really should have had a RYV type body articulation with the upper twist and bottom crunch.

The neck articulation is also terrible. Intent was there but the engineering is a miss. Not sure how this was ignored unless they were just rushing to get this out the door. But it's rather disappoint that it's essentially just a left and right swivel. I may try some heat to widen the neck holes. I was able to do it on my GI Joe Tomax to fix and give him the same range as his twin.

I'm not sure I'd buy another again, unless they get rid of the worthless NFT and give us more accessories and lower them to under $30.

Has there not been word about these being released to retail?
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Wow, if they only sold 1,000 or so these have truly bombed. Does anyone know if they sell these at the arenas or team stores?

I think they badly mis-judged what made the first SLU line so successful - a lot of figures for each team, done cheap enough that kids could buy, and also had the baseball card (which was during peak baseball card collecting mania) as a draw. They were fun collectibles, not "higher end". 75% of the teams aren't even represented here with a figure, you are starting out with nothing to hook many fans. I think kids are more likely to be a fan of a player not on their team than adults are - lots of kids want to be LeBron, and might like a figure of him, but the adults with $50 to spend I'm going to guess only want players from the team they root for. You could offer me all 8 for $50 and I wouldn't buy it because they aren't from a team I care about.

I do wonder if they did an all-time greats series - think Jordan, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Dr J, Kareem, Russell - then some folks might pick up some current future Hall of Famers like LeBron and Curry to add to that.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:45 am

I think if they don't do legends people will care very little about this line quickly.

I'm a Celtics fan and I could care less about other teams/ players. The price these are at I don't see many going all in on this line.
crosshair
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:14 pm

The Giannis I ordered when Pulse had their 25% off sale arrived. I'm happy I didn't pay full price, but even then I'm not super happy with the purchase. The likeness is pretty poor, and the jersey lifting up in the back to show skin every time it leans a little forward is annoying. I'll find a decent pose and put it on my shelf, but I don't think these are worth the price.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”