Hasbro's Starting Line Up

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Xnbach
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Hasbro's Starting Line Up

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:42 pm

I just thought of something- what if they did a G.I. Joe Classified/Starting Line Up mash-up and we ended up with a 6 inch scale articulated Fridge, complete with football-on-a-chain?

TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:57 am

Enforcer wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:00 pm
I don't think they.. what?

Something something I don't like sportsball.
T'Chaka
Super Poseable

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 pm

The big problem I'm seeing so far is licensing. If you start with basketball players, you need to have the right shoes. Maybe they can get a package deal with Jordan
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:47 pm

I'm getting really excited about the possibilities of this line. I especially hope it won't just be limited to current players or the obvious superstars.

I hope they treat this line like Marvel Legends in terms of character selection. You can give me 15 Spider-Man and Iron Man armors (i.e. Jordan or LeBron in a variety of different jerseys) as long as you also give me a Frog Man, every once in a while, too. I'm going to need some NBA semi-stars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vicious7171
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:42 pm

Xnbach wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:09 pm
I’m looking forward to this for the kitbashing possibilities alone
If these don't share any swappable parts with current Hasbro lines I will be very disappointed.

Hasbro doing this line now is interesting. I bet they saw all those trending pictures of Baby Yoda and Michael Jordan and Spiderman playing basketball on Instagram and thought, "Mafex, schmay-fex!"

Another possibly interesting note, they removed that tweet. Probably because the product looks rough (clipping) but who knows.
TheSameIdiot

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 pm

Cleveland LeBron is my #1 realistic want for this line. The MAFEX figure was great, but I have no need for any Lakers memorabilia in my house.
badguy543
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:41 am

Xnbach wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:42 pm
I just thought of something- what if they did a G.I. Joe Classified/Starting Line Up mash-up and we ended up with a 6 inch scale articulated Fridge, complete with football-on-a-chain?

This is exactly where my mind went.

I also want lots of classic players from the 80s and 90s and as a huge LA then St Louis and back to LA Rams fan and Charlotte Hornets fan I have a long list of wants. I'm expecting the line to eventually branch out from NBA to NFL and eventually NHL and MBL and I hope that happens sooner rather than later. The only current player I'm interested in is LaBron James and I really only want him in his Cavs uniform possibly Miami but I'll pass on his Lakers version. Overall my support for this line will depend on how deep they go with stars of the past.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:01 am

I wonder if they will build some interchangeable BAF style bucks for basketball - say 6 to 8 legs, 6 to 8 torsos (maybe separate waists and torsos/chests), and 6 to 8 arms - a mix of lengths and bulk for each. Then mix and match as needed to have a decent variety of bulks and heights from 6 ft point guards to 7 ft centers and forwards, so all they need to do are new heads with face print tech and paint apps for the unis to make whoever they want. If they did that, they could be pretty responsive to new stars, trades, alt uniforms, especially if they keep big names for retail assortments but add secondary players via Pulse or maybe sell players from specific teams at their team stores/stadiums/arenas. Over time add in warm-up suits, etc., for the stars, work on different head sculpts/hair for different seasons and different unis for some players.
kboe1313
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:16 am

I wonder what these are gonna cost. If Hasbro got to pay a license fee to the NBA, the Player, heck maybe even the shoes on the figure I could see it costing $30-35 each.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:32 am

Forget the Fridge. Can I custom a Big Lob for Classified from one of these? I won’t, since I don’t have the drive to customize characters. But Big Lob would be hilariously awesome.

Licensing for this line seems like a nightmare. NBA. Teams. Players. Shoes. Just seems like a mess which will have to new result in higher costs.
TheSameIdiot

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:34 am

MAFEX's Jordan and LeBron figures had their likenesses, team uniforms, and Nike/Jordan shoes and they sold for MAFEX's standard price. I think these will be in Hasbro's usual $25-30 range.
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:54 pm

Just my two cents, but I really don't care if they have the right brand equipment, as long as they're wearing proper team licensed gear. Also I don't want them wearing Crocs or something.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:46 pm

Unless it has changed, they should be able to get the player likeness rights all at one time from the players union for current players, and the team logo rights from the league all at one time. Whether they need likeness approval from individual players, hard to tell. I believe this is still how it works for trading cards and video games, but please correct me if that is no longer the case. Not getting the league logo license is why you used to sometime see trading cards with logos airbrushed, or sometimes players in commercials with generic uniforms.

I suspect past players could be an issue - they might have to deal with that one at a time, but there may be a separate agreement for merchandise related to various Hall of Fame members that would allow for their likenesses as a group (I was never clear if Kenner was able to do the non-current baseball players in their Cooperstown Collection sub-line this way, or had to get approvals one at a time).
Neil Magnum
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:15 pm

The licensing of past players will probably be similar to how 2K has to make deals on an individual basis. Like Charles Barkley isn't in many 2k games, but I'd hope to get him in a Suns jersey so he can go 1-on-1 against Godzilla. The Dream Team 1992 with the NBA jerseys obviously (I wouldn't get Christian Laetner, but there isn't much change he gets made anyway), Magic, Bird, Dr. J, Hakeem, Shaq in Magic jersey, Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash. I'm in on most current players too, can't wait to get a Luka figure and hopefully a LaMelo for my nephew.

There will probably be more teases before September and I bet one of the other leagues will also be involved. If its MLB, of the current players I'd really want a Shohei.
felgekarp
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Could each wave come with a team mascot BAF, like the..........well I genuinely don’t know any but it might be fun.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”