Mattel Pixar Line

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Mattel Pixar Line

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:50 am

I love that Kevin figure. It was way overpriced, but I'm extremely happy to have it. Right after I got him, I saw the new Dug in store. I had no idea the figure even existed (when's the last time I could say that?), So that was a nice surprise. I hope I can find Russel easily. Hopefully, Carl isn't too far behind. A couple of weeks ago I had no toys from the best Pixar movie and I'll soon have at least three!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:56 am

Spotlight Series Wall-E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 am

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:17 am

This Wall-E is excellent. It’s very versatile, having lots of interchangeable and removable parts and a bunch of accessories, the best of which is the functional cooler. The little cockroach buddy, the fire extinguisher from the colony ship, the boot with the plant, a second set of eyes, and a flat plate to mimic when the eyes are tucked in, are all included along with the Pixar ball display stand, which is totally unnecessary.

Articulation includes eyes that pivot, a swivel below the eyes at the top of the neck, two hinges in the neck, swivel hinges at the shoulders, swivel wrists, hinged fingers, rolling wheels in the treads, an opening upper torso that allows for the front hatch to open, pivots at the tread “ankles”, loosely hinged back hook to hold the cooler. Second eyes have a pivot at the neck. The shoulders slide on a horizontal track at the upper torso and angle down to a vertical track at the front torso. The arms can be removed where the torso opens. The treads are connected to a shaft that can be removed from the body. The front hatch only seems to open when the upper torso is opened.

The figure’s deco seems to be created using the same process that companies are using for face printing. It’s like a digital print all over the body, and it’s incredible. Comparing it to previous versions, the Thinkway version and the $10 Mattel version, it’s no contest. This feels like the same quality, but looks and poses so much better than either of those figures. I wouldn’t mind an EVE in this format, but her design is so simple, I’m not sure what would be improved over the Thinkway EVE.

As opposed to Woody, this Spotlight Series Wall-E feels like the deluxe figure he should be. $40 doesn’t feel like a rip off, because it does so much and looks great doing it. I’m quite pleased with this figure and hope that upcoming figures uphold this level of quality.

captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 am

That Wall-E looks fantastic, but I don't know if I can justify $40 for it. I paid maybe $12 for the 2 pack with Eve and I'm happy with it. It has great paint and cool accessories, but why is it so much money? That big electronic one is only $50 (I think).
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

captaincracker wrote:
That Wall-E looks fantastic, but I don't know if I can justify $40 for it. I paid maybe $12 for the 2 pack with Eve and I'm happy with it. It has great paint and cool accessories, but why is it so much money? That big electronic one is only $50 (I think).
You're probably right, it is overpriced. I think I was just so disappointed with Woody that Wall-E felt like a decent buy because so much is included. But honestly, I'll never use the second set of eyes or the head plate. The accessories could come in handy for other displays, like the extinguisher and cooler, which look to be close to scale with 6" and 7" lines. I don't know why these figures are priced the way they are. I hope that future figures don't exceed $20. Though I could imagine a GOOD Buzz Lightyear at $40.
thefamousnicknaro
CROM!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:24 pm

NORM wrote:
captaincracker wrote:
You're probably right, it is overpriced. I think I was just so disappointed with Woody that Wall-E felt like a decent buy because so much is included. But honestly, I'll never use the second set of eyes or the head plate. The accessories could come in handy for other displays, like the extinguisher and cooler, which look to be close to scale with 6" and 7" lines. I don't know why these figures are priced the way they are. I hope that future figures don't exceed $20. Though I could imagine a GOOD Buzz Lightyear at $40.
I didn’t want to say anything and damper your excitement for it, but from your pictures it just didn’t seem like a $40 collectors figure. It still just looks too plasticky and the detail seems soft. For that much, I feel like Wall-E specifically should be able to pose his eyes, not have a preposed second head.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 pm

thefamousnicknaro wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:24 pm
NORM wrote:
captaincracker wrote:
I didn’t want to say anything and damper your excitement for it, but from your pictures it just didn’t seem like a $40 collectors figure. It still just looks too plasticky and the detail seems soft. For that much, I feel like Wall-E specifically should be able to pose his eyes, not have a preposed second head.
This one can definitely pose his eyes. The set on the taller neck has eyes that pivot and rotate. There are two hinges on the neck, at the base of the head and at the connection point to the torso. The second head.. I'm really not sure what that's for. I guess it's supposed to look like he's hiding? Pulling his eyes back like a scared turtle?

Then I noticed that beyond the cube torso, there's no paint detail on anything else, the arms, the eyes, the treads. It's just as cheap looking as the other Mattel version and the Thinkway version. Not that they look cheap, they look like toys. This should be a deluxe figure and not feel skimped in any way with a price like that.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 am

NORM wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

The price is baffling. At $20, I would have upgraded. For $40, there's no chance and that really sucks, because I think it's a great figure. Kevin was $40 also and she's substantially bigger with some nice extras. I think she was overpriced too, but I also think she's a much better value. Then again, I like Up a lot more than Wall-E, so my view may be tainted.

I hate to be so negative, but prices on toys lately are getting nuts. I guess I just have to live with it. Thanks for sharing all the pics, I really enjoy looking at them and always like to see comparisons with other figures.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:33 am

Their whole roll-out of the Spotlight Series has been awful. Previewed Mr. Incredible and Buzz Lightyear at NYTF in 2020, then absolutely no news until August 2021 when they threw Kevin up for PO at Mattel Creations, and no fanfare when Woody and Wall-E went up around a week ago.

I found listings for Mr. Incredible at Walmart.com suggesting a $30 price point, and it says out of stock. No idea if he actually wound up releasing last year and I missed it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Pixar ... /407317319
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:35 am

For some reason, Mr. Incredible's design never translates well to a three dimensional action figure. He always looks like some kind of segmented sausage. If I saw that, I'd pass at $30.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am

Opened up Spotlight Series Kevin today. Again, not a great value, but mostly a fun toy. The colors are eye catching, and it’s got more articulation than most of the $10 figures. Hinged jaw, swivel head, bendy neck, ball hinge TINY wings, ball hinge hips, knees, ankles, toes. Balances pretty well, and really towers over everything. Dug looks so small next to her, but I guess that’s accurate! Also comes with the chocolate bar Russell uses to bait her, and three little chicks with a fuzzy flocking on their bodies. Having this figure makes me really want Russell and Carl with his walker, with hopefully some removable tennis balls.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Yeah, these Pixar Spotlight figures ARE overpriced, however, having Wall-e in hand, he's my contender for figure of the year. It might just be that I love the movie and characters so much (I saw it again recently and yeah, I still cried at the end!), but this figure has pretty much everything I ever wanted from a figure of him. I almost didn't get him, because of the high price, but now I am so so glad I got him.

I think you really have to love the character to even try to justify the price, so I can't say that he'll be worth it to any of you guys. However, he was definitely worth it for me. I really love the figure, he's the best Wall-e to date, better than any of the Thinkway toys versions, the disney store version, or even the revoltech (which I don't have, but from reviews and photos I can tell).

He's really accurate, from the sculpt, paint, articulation and accessories. He feels nice in hand, not very heavy, but not cheap. Of course I think they should have printed his arms, heads and threads too. And he can't cross his arms in front of him like he does a lot in the movie. But to be fair, no other figure as far as I'm aware can, and again, he's just got so many things right, that I can't be mad.

He's expensive, but if you truly love the movie, then he's worth it, I think. If not, then the $10 version looks good too, and comes with Eve.

Speaking of Eve, I would love to have a deluxe version of her, either in the Spotlight series or the $20 series. I have the TT version, and she's great, but there's so much that can be improved. Light up eyes, with multiple interchangeable expressions. Arms with interchangeable hands, so that she can actually grip things (I'm thinking these can be done in translucent plastic, with her floating fingers painted). Of course the weapon arm has to be included. The lightbulb, the open lighter, and maybe even a tiny rubik's cube could be her other accessories. I would like them to detail out the light patterns inside her arms and head, and these could be done with the print tech. These and other details can be added to make the best Eve figure to date, imho. I know not many would buy her at $40, but maybe if they did her for $20? Idk, but I seriously want them to make a better Eve figure. Again, you can tell I'm a fan, hahaha.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 pm

I’m glad you’re satisfied with SS Wall-E, spinc. It IS a nice figure in so many ways, it’s just not a $40 figure.

Speaking of the lower end figures, I wound up curiously adding a few more via Amazon. Joy and Anger from Inside Out, single mer-version of Alberto, 2pk of Giulia and Luca, and Monsters Inc Abominable Snowman. They continue to be a lot of <affordable> fun. I like that the Luca boys can have swappable parts with their land and sea counterparts. I had to dig up the Sadness and Bing Bong from my daughter’s baby toys to fill out the group there. And the Yeti is HUGE, maybe around the same size as Sully, possibly wider.

There are still so many characters from throughout Pixar’s catalog I want. Gap fillers like Carl and Russel, films that have been overlooked like Bug’s Life and Ratatouille, I even wish they’d cover some of the Disney characters like Moana and Maui, even though they’re not directly Pixar.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am

Yeah, I needed a Carl figure ten years ago! It's a shame they never really did any action figures of them, they did some staction figurines, and ten years ago I swear I saw an image for a japanese Carl figure with articulation, but I never saw the image again. It's funny how some things just disappear from the internet, lol.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”