Indiana Jones 5 and the Quest for Merchandise

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Indiana Jones 5 and the Quest for Merchandise

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 pm

bgiles73 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 pm
I seem to remember hearing Indy might be getting a little action on Disney + in the future. One of the things discussed was an animated serials. I could just hear the voice from The Clone Wars announcing the further exploits of Indiana Jones at the start of each episode. I’m sure a well written series would give Indy enough gas for several more years of adventures.
No CG-looking toon, please. Something like this would be tits:
https://youtu.be/iE8v5WDbbC4
Dig the Don Bluth vibes.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 am

featofstrength wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 pm
bgiles73 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 pm
I seem to remember hearing Indy might be getting a little action on Disney + in the future. One of the things discussed was an animated serials. I could just hear the voice from The Clone Wars announcing the further exploits of Indiana Jones at the start of each episode. I’m sure a well written series would give Indy enough gas for several more years of adventures.
No CG-looking toon, please. Something like this would be tits:
https://youtu.be/iE8v5WDbbC4
Dig the Don Bluth vibes.
That exactly what I’m hoping for as well. I would love to have more Indiana Jones adventures available to us prior to WWII. There’s just so many other adventures he can go on. I’d love it if Indy would make a little trip with Admiral Byrd down to Antarctica! I enjoyed Crystal Skull and liked that it added an otherworldly Mcguffin to the mythos!
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 am

A 2d animated series for Disney+. It would be so amazing. Or heck, maybe even a live action series of a younger Indy, after the young Indiana series but before the movies.
Sachiel
the phineas curmudgeon from a galaxy far far away

Sat May 01, 2021 1:46 am

I just want a Figuarts Raiders Indy.

And a torn shirt TOD Indy.

Okay an Old Man Indy, too. Their TFA Han has an amazing likeness.
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!

Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Oh man if they make a Black series Indiana Jones line I would most likely quit collecting every other line I collect. I was a child of the 70's and 80's and Indy is to me what Star Wars is to Robo! I would buy the hell out of it. I still love all the the 3 3/4 inch toys from when Crystal Skull came out. The Indy movies are my all time favorite!
KarlPan
Here comes a new challenger!

Sun May 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Seeing the two images leaked online today of the Indy 5 set construction got me thinking. I am unsure as to whether or not we need this movie, but am more intrigued to see what the merchandising will be.

The idea of a Marvel Legends/Black Series scale toyline hadn't occurred to me. I would love this in a limited series. They are so expensive that we don't need dozens of these, but 6 well selected characters would sell quite well.

While I know the 3.75 scale figures are not a huge hit with everyone, as someone who grew up with star wars figures as a kid, this is my preferred scale. I think it's the perfect size for kids to play with, and that's really what they are to me. Though I don't know how popular they would be. My son is 7, and aside from one Indy figure, he has no interest in anymore, despite having seen the movies as I watch them.

When the 2008 3.75 series began to be cleared out in Walmart I decided to pick up what I could. I have spent those years filling in the gaps from the collection and I am still 5 items away from the complete set. I enjoyed collecting and hunting for these.

If they released a 3.75 series, and I really hope they do, it would be awesome if they could cover some characters and variants that they never got around to the first time.
I am not sure I want to collect 24 figures I already have. But if I could add to my existing collection, I would be very happy.
But we really don't need 3,4,5+ waves. The kids don't want it, and they won't sell.

I look forward to toyfair next year.
Also, I hope they make some new Lego. I didn't pick any of that up last time.

Has there been any news on licensing for Indy 5 yet?
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 am

It looks like this will start filming soon. I really hope they will do a Black Series 6” line of these sometime soon. It would be great to have Indy in the 6” scale. https://toynewsi.com/414-3919
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 am

Well, they probably won't announce a licensing deal, because Hasbro probably has the license already (with all the lucasfilm stuff). Seeing that the movie's almost a certainty, we'll probably see a black series style line. How many waves? Probably not many. Classic or new? A mix of both if we're lucky. I don't think we'll see many kids toys or things like that, because they probably remember how the 2008 line sold.

I would be happy with a Raiders Indy, with all the necessary accessories, Marion, Henry Jones Sr., and maybe a crystal skeleton would look cool.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:20 am

It would be interesting to see how a Indy Black Series would do. I wouldn't mind the getting:
ROTLA Indy
ROTLA Belloq
ROTLA Marion (white dress)
ROTLA Sallah
ROTLA Toth
ROTLA German Mechanic
TOD White Tux Indy
TOD Short Round
TOD Mola Ram
TOD Willie Scott
TOD Torn Shirt Indy
TOD Thugee
TLC Henry Sr
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 am

dchimpy wrote:
It would be interesting to see how a Indy Black Series would do. I wouldn't mind the getting:
ROTLA Indy
ROTLA Belloq
ROTLA Sallah
ROTLA Toth
ROTLA German Mechanic
TOD White Tux Indy
TOD Short Round
TOD Mola Ram
TOD Willie Scott
TOD Torn Shirt Indy
TOD Thugee
TLC Henry Sr
I’m in but on retro Kenner packaging please
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:52 am

I’m not going to want a very big line but I’m going to want more characters than just 13. I also think a few Mission Fleet type sets would be cool for Indiana Jones as well. This would be a great way to get the Amazon Idol playset with rolling Boulder trap, The Well of Souls, Flying Wing,Temple of Doom and mine car track set, Holy Grail Library Tomb and Boat Chase set, Tank Chase set, Grail Chamber and traps, Area 51 chase, Akator and Crystal Skull Throne/ Flying Saucer set.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:57 pm

Visionary wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 am
dchimpy wrote:
ROTLA Indy
ROTLA Belloq
ROTLA Sallah
ROTLA Toth
ROTLA German Mechanic
TOD White Tux Indy
TOD Short Round
TOD Mola Ram
TOD Willie Scott
TOD Torn Shirt Indy
TOD Thugee
TLC Henry Sr
I’m in but on retro Kenner packaging please
you read my mind!
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm

I wonder if anyone is still working at Hasbro that was there in 2008, cause surely they'd remember what a huge flop the IJ toyline was at the time.

Yes, diehard toy collectors like us ate it up. I didn't buy them all, but I made sure to get an Indy from each movie, even Crystal Skull which sucked.

The thing that bothered me the most was the comically oversized holster. How does a toy in 2008 not manage to have a better feature than the original toy from 1982?? Baffling.

I think Indy himself would be a hot seller in Black Series/Marvel Legends style, in at least the main looks from the original three movies. But I think diehard fans really overestimate the popularity of relatively boring, non-toyetic characters like Belloq, Sallah, and all the leading ladies.

I have zero evidence to back this up but I'd be willing to bet a lot that Dana and Gozer did horrible numbers compared to the four main Ghostbusters.

Indy himself is great, but the supporting cast just doesn't have the appeal. I don't think kids even play with toys anymore so kids aren't even relevant.

I think realistically, the best we can hope for are a few variations on Indy and then some bad guys he actually interacts with in a physical way with, like the Cairo Swordsman, German Mechanic, Giant Thugee, Mola Ram, and maybe Cate Blanchett's stupid character.

If an Indy series ever makes it to retail I imagine it would be like the Ghostbusters Plasma series...one and done.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 am

The 2008 line had major paint issues (Not just paint slop but stuff like eyes painted low on cheeks) Indy had a holster that could have housed a blow dryer. Several wanted characters were impossible to find. The last two waves of figures were the best, but the two waves were expensive to get due to not being in stores. I don’t think Ghostbusters: Plasma series will be one and done. This is just a release date delay. I expect we will get a new movie wave and maybe a few ghosts. We may even see more classic characters and ghosts. I think 6” Indy could warrant two or three waves if timed right.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 am

Who knows. I mean, on one hand, if weird marvel and star wars characters that almost no one knows seem to sell pretty well (and many times a year at that) then one could say that an Indy line could have a chance. Then again, it's marvel and star wars, where you can just fill out your shelf, plus they got BAFs.

Ghostbusters plasma series also has the disadvantage of coming after the matty collector line, the dst line, the mezco one 12, and the blitzway figures. Hasbro's are really the best (at this price point), but many people already settled with their mattel of dst ones.

Indy, well... has the 2008 4" line and a few 1/6 scale figures, which are expensive and rare, and that old figma that looked pretty bad. So a 6" Indy line could have some legs if done right. Fortunately, the film is already under way, so we could see some figures soon.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”