Mattel’s “Back in Action” line

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mattel’s “Back in Action” line

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:24 am

Just watched the Spector Creative video introducing the new “ Back in Action” I’m old. Seeing these “old friends” albeit in a smaller, yet same, scale is amazing.
Does anyone know more about this line?
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Mattel’s “Back in Action” line

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:36 am

These look cool and are clearly an attempt by Mattel to get in on the market that Hasbro is doing with their retro Marvel figures.

Unfortunately there's not much info out there right now other than Scott making up lies about Mattel losing the rights to MOTU (this is not a thing no matter how many times Neitleich lies about it) so we'll have to wait until Mattel announces their full plan for their "Secret Wars" figures.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:31 pm

ODBJBG wrote:
These look cool and are clearly an attempt by Mattel to get in on the market that Hasbro is doing with their retro Marvel figures.

Unfortunately there's not much info out there right now other than Scott making up lies about Mattel losing the rights to MOTU (this is not a thing no matter how many times Neitleich lies about it) so we'll have to wait until Mattel announces their full plan for their "Secret Wars" figures.
Wait, WHAT?

How could a company LOSE the license to a property they OWN?

Yeah, more Scotty N bullspit.
Brucedamon
Here comes a new challenger!

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 am

I'm interested to see what these turn out to be. Did he mention scale? Price point? I think it would be kind of cool to see the Big Jim hanging around with the Joes and MLs.
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon May 03, 2021 2:04 am

SalemCrow wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:31 pm
ODBJBG wrote:

Wait, WHAT?

How could a company LOSE the license to a property they OWN?

Yeah, more Scotty N bullspit.
His claim is that they secretly sold it and immediately licensed it back -- through 2023.

If there's any truth to it, my bet is it's essentially a complicated loan with MOTU as collateral, structured as a sale with a buyback provision.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am

Didn’t Mattel ask us a few years ago what past toy lines we would want to see them redo?

I think Clash of the Titans was on the list along with others.

Would love to see them revisit the early 80s with some homage figures.

The Clash of the Titans card art is still amazing to this day.

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Mattel didn't lose the MOTU license. The Filmation looks may be more complicated as the rights to those specific looks may be complicated. Look at the back of the Origins figures, and Mattel is the copyright owner of the brand. Toy Guru is likely just confused by Filmation rights being sticky.

Clash of the Titans would be complicated, as Mattel would have to re-secure the rights. MGM has been sold so many times, tracking down the rights may be a bit messy.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 03, 2021 6:14 pm

I would be more interested if these were better articulated. The 5" size wouldn't bother me as much as others. But I have zero interest in 5 POA lines.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Fri May 07, 2021 3:33 am

Wow, the art in those cards is amazing. They should get the four horsemen to make a CotT Classics, mythic legion style figures with loads of detail.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 3:52 am

spinc wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:33 am
Wow, the art in those cards is amazing. They should get the four horsemen to make a CotT Classics, mythic legion style figures with loads of detail.
Agreed!!!
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 1:52 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:51 pm
Mattel didn't lose the MOTU license. The Filmation looks may be more complicated as the rights to those specific looks may be complicated. Look at the back of the Origins figures, and Mattel is the copyright owner of the brand. Toy Guru is likely just confused by Filmation rights being sticky.

Clash of the Titans would be complicated, as Mattel would have to re-secure the rights. MGM has been sold so many times, tracking down the rights may be a bit messy.
I like ToyGuru's videos but he's very...spotty with details. You could play a drinking game with his channel just on how many times you'll see Cornboy in the comments correcting something.

The Clash rights are actually with Warner Bros now -- they bought them from Turner way back, so I don't think MGM's had them for a long while. It's been almost a decade since the last time they used them (for the remake's sequel), but I would assume they didn't expire or anything.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 08, 2021 3:25 am

If Mattel wants to upgrade these with Classic Packaging too I’m in.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”