Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: What is Hasbro waiting for?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Maybe Hasbro might think that a D&D line is one line too much at this point? They've completely monopolized so much of the action figure market with Marvel, Star Wars, Power Rangers, GI Joe and Transformers, and have enough trouble as is keeping up with demand with some of those lines, that maybe it's an issue of real estate and resources - they'd have to cannibalize what they already have going to start this and they don't see it as worth it? Just a thought, to add to all the very well-reasoned thoughts above.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:36 pm

scribb wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:22 pm
Probably way too niche- but could there be demand for characters from the likes of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms?

I don't see it that way. D&D is known and played by millions of people around the world with Drizzt being the best known character.
Probably a 6 "line of figures would sell very well. The medieval adventure theme is one of the most popular in films, games and toys. For example The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
The lines of recent medieval figures are a great success today such as Mythic Legions and Boss Fight Studio. We will still have more LotR figures for Select this year.
I can easily see old and young D&D fans buying these figures, fans of Mythic Legions, Motuc, fans of medieval figures, role-playing players in general, etc.

It is a totally neglected and wasted niche that could be a great success.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:44 pm

JPC wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:48 pm
Maybe Hasbro might think that a D&D line is one line too much at this point? They've completely monopolized so much of the action figure market with Marvel, Star Wars, Power Rangers, GI Joe and Transformers, and have enough trouble as is keeping up with demand with some of those lines, that maybe it's an issue of real estate and resources - they'd have to cannibalize what they already have going to start this and they don't see it as worth it? Just a thought, to add to all the very well-reasoned thoughts above.

I don't know if Hasbro thinks this way, but it would be a little stupid to waste the potential and profit generated by another line.

The goal of a company like it is to grow and increase its profits. They could simply hire more people to take care of a D&D-only division if they took a risk with an initial wave and it proved satisfactory in sales. Maybe a Kickstarter or Haslab?

If they are not interested, it is ridiculous to keep the rights on a topic and not let other companies exploit it. I know that these companies' capitalism and greed speak louder but it is still very frustrating.

D&D figures by Neca or maybe Mezco One: 12 would be fantastic. I can only imagine Drizzt and his group this way.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm

I’d personally go nuts for D&D figures, especially if they pumped out crazy fantasy monsters like the Beholder, and ESPECIALLY if they got into Ravenloft. I’d buy army builders of zombies, vampires, and other gothic-horror monsters for EVER.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 pm

What they should do is use D&D to budget a 1:12 centaur figure.

Then they can reuse that horse body mold for Marvel's Aragorn and Dreamstalker, at least five armored Power Rangers horses, desert mission GI Joe figure mounts, a variety of Star Wars ungulates, the inevitable Ghostbusters Keymaster box set, and at least one silly "real world" MLP unicorn with a Deadpool pack-in figure.

And Marcus the centaur werewolf symbiote warrior. Which somehow also comes with a Deadpool...

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 am

One of the most exciting prospects of a property like D&D is the monster catalog. However, they'd each have very little reuse but requite a ton of unique tooling.

A D&D line could pull from all different media. The cartoon. The LJN line. The books. Basically, a best of/Multiverse type of approach.
jakeekiss
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 am

The biggest problem I see with D&D figures is that the characters people have the most attachment to are their own. That's why things like Heroforge are blowing up. Could they sell some Drizzt figures? Maybe, but the most money these days would probably be in Critical Role characters, as those are, to the modern fanbase, more recognizable. But then, the issue there is cutting a deal with Mercer and company.

I think it'd be rad to have 1/12 scale monsters though. Start with the biggies for 5e and a few classics. Strahd, a mind flayer, Xanathar, then maybe a classic like a 2 pack of goblins or an orc or owlbear.

Realistically though, I don't think the fanbase for D&D translates into love of particular characters, or even particular monsters enough to make a line like that viable long term. I'd love to be wrong on that.
SuperSoldier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 am
One of the most exciting prospects of a property like D&D is the monster catalog. However, they'd each have very little reuse but requite a ton of unique tooling.

A D&D line could pull from all different media. The cartoon. The LJN line. The books. Basically, a best of/Multiverse type of approach.
I think this too, I'd love to be able to display the figures pitted against large monsters. In theory they could create "templates" for the main class archetypes that can be re-used in all kind of colors and configurations, a la Mythic Legions. I'd also love a BAF system where completing a "party" gets a mini boss BAMF (Build-a-Monster-Figure), but I think the endgame would have to be the larger monsters but I just don't see Hasbro taking the risk.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:09 pm

jakeekiss wrote: but the most money these days would probably be in Critical Role characters, as those are, to the modern fanbase, more recognizable. But then, the issue there is cutting a deal with Mercer and company.
I think that would be tough since McFarlane is already doing Critical Role figures.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:09 pm
jakeekiss wrote: but the most money these days would probably be in Critical Role characters, as those are, to the modern fanbase, more recognizable. But then, the issue there is cutting a deal with Mercer and company.
I think that would be tough since McFarlane is already doing Critical Role figures.
Wow, really? That's crazy. I guess the next best bet for Hasbro to capture modern fans would be Acquisitions Inc.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 pm

Well, Hasbro has teased the D&D logo for the next Hascon. I hope we get a good announcement.
BoBoJango
Here comes a new challenger!

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:20 am

Their supposed to be a new Dark Alliance game coming out. Its supposed to follow Drizzt, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Bruenor Battlehammer. Its single player and couch co-op . It was originally supposed to come out out in Fall of 2020.
jakeekiss
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Well, I must say I'm surprised. I suppose it still could be something other than a 6" line... but now I'm hopeful.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:27 am

I found a website that sells figures based on D&D in the style of the 80s.They are simple figures and the description says that they are made by hand despite selling several sets.What caught my attention the most was the fact that they announced for example 40 sets of these for U $ 550.00 each and sold out pre orders in an hour.This just demonstrates what a company that can produce a 6-inch scale articulated D&D line could profit from.Again I remember how Hasbro likes to waste time and seems to be afraid to invest in a line that would certainly bring a good return.

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:42 pm

You think that 40 sets selling out in an hour translates to Hasbro being able to make a ton of money? Doesn’t it cost something like a million dollars to develop a line of figures? While I think there’s some interest in animated D&D figures, I’m not sure they’d be guaranteed money makers. Maybe Reaction figures would be more cost effective and potentially profitable than super-poseable figures.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”