Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Corn Viper
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 pm
It can’t be any worse than the last film.
The last film was a direct to video B-movie, thats a low bar.
psylocke
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Please tell me a Wayan’s brother isn’t in this one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
felgekarp
Avengers Assemble

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 pm

Corn Viper wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm
felgekarp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 pm
It can’t be any worse than the last film.
The last film was a direct to video B-movie, thats a low bar.
Oh am I missing one, the one I went to see was at the flicks.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:13 am

Yeah the only d&d movie remember I saw was the one with Marlon wayans in it. Didn’t know there was another movie after that one.
Corn Viper
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:04 am

The first one was in theaters, second was made for TV, third was direct to video.
jonaskane
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:27 am

Yeah, there were several. The third might actually have been the best of the lot, sadly.
Corn Viper
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:56 am

I wonder if the movie D&D figures will pegwarm like the movie GI Joe stuff. Then again we're all so hungry for product we'll take what we can get.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:06 am

I can't say I'm desperate for figures based on the movie trailer, but I also wanted nothing to do with a Pattinson Batman figure from McFarlane til I saw the film and then ordered one from my couch during the credits. And yeah, we've been waiting so long for product since the Drizzt figure I'm sure I'll pick up a few just because I want those D&D figures.

I totally get why people are burnt out on the snappy comedy thing a la GotG, but I'm loving the nearly humorless, but lovely Rings of Power, I'm kinda enjoying the grim and humorless House of the Dragon, and I've been DMing since I was a kid and I lean in hard on horror and seriousness, and I swear no matter how serious I plan a campaign, they all end up so much f around and find out comedy that the film's trailer just feels like one of my home games. Heck, I'm DMing for a new professional actual play show that was intended to be gothic horror and I keep saying it's 50% gothic horror, 50% gothic comedy and that's just the way D&D goes once a campaign makes contact with the players. I reckon if there's some high adventure and drama to go along with the goofery, it'll be a fun ride. (And as everyone else has pointed out, by Odin the bar is LOOOOOOW for a good D&D movie historically.)

On topic, though - WotC's pushing hard on the cartoon's nostalgia. They just released a set of minis based on the characters and added them as templates to the new starter set they just published. They know how much love there is for the cartoon.
felgekarp
Avengers Assemble

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:40 pm

I’d be more than happy to get the kind of things that roam around dungeons and some dragons from a dungeons and dragons line.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:28 am

Night Wolf wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 am
I know the Fwoosh threads is mostly marvel BUT im a hardcore DC guy so theres that also....and i dont think it "fared better"
By Fared better I meant objectively, in so much as the MCU has made money hand over fist logging multiple billion dollar movies. 8 of the top 25 grossing films of all time are Marvel. DC has one film on that list - Aquaman - at #25. DC's highest grossing film ever sits a few million ahead of Marvel's 9th and 10 biggest grossing films. DC's second highest grossing film doesn't crack Marvel's top 10. So yes - MCU has "fared better".

It's cool that you like DC more. No judgement. That doesn't make the films "better" - which is too subjective to quantify anyway - but the facts definitely and objectively show they performed worse at the box office and thus did not "fare better".

So, it's not surprising that a D&D movie might try to come closer in tone to the MCU than to say Game of Thrones.

As for Dungeons and Dragons toys... I'd be interested in a nice comprehensive line of figures to stand next to Drizzt on my shelf. The NECA offerings are going to be too big for that. The cartoon offerings are too niche and too show accurate to look appropriate for that, so still waiting for some companions for the ol' Drow.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:40 am

PantherCult wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:28 am
Night Wolf wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 am
I know the Fwoosh threads is mostly marvel BUT im a hardcore DC guy so theres that also....and i dont think it "fared better"
By Fared better I meant objectively, in so much as the MCU has made money hand over fist logging multiple billion dollar movies. 8 of the top 25 grossing films of all time are Marvel. DC has one film on that list - Aquaman - at #25. DC's highest grossing film ever sits a few million ahead of Marvel's 9th and 10 biggest grossing films. DC's second highest grossing film doesn't crack Marvel's top 10. So yes - MCU has "fared better".

It's cool that you like DC more. No judgement. That doesn't make the films "better" - which is too subjective to quantify anyway - but the facts definitely and objectively show they performed worse at the box office and thus did not "fare better".

So, it's not surprising that a D&D movie might try to come closer in tone to the MCU than to say Game of Thrones.

As for Dungeons and Dragons toys... I'd be interested in a nice comprehensive line of figures to stand next to Drizzt on my shelf. The NECA offerings are going to be too big for that. The cartoon offerings are too niche and too show accurate to look appropriate for that, so still waiting for some companions for the ol' Drow.

Think outside the box, like me. i dont care about what the "box office" made. so that comment went out the window. As far as, closer tone to the mcu, the comedy theme have been around in movies forever not just the mcu LOL.... Its cool that you like marvel, no judgement.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:46 am

Night Wolf wrote:

Think outside the box, like me. i dont care about what the "box office" made. so that comment went out the window.
People who make movies absolutely "care about what the 'box office' made". The people making the Dungeons and Dragons movie definitely care about that. That's how they get to make more movies.

Their goal isn't to make movies Night Wolf might like. The goal is to make movies that as many people as possible will pay to see.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 am

PantherCult wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:46 am
Night Wolf wrote:

Think outside the box, like me. i dont care about what the "box office" made. so that comment went out the window.
People who make movies absolutely "care about what the 'box office' made". The people making the Dungeons and Dragons movie definitely care about that. That's how they get to make more movies.

Their goal isn't to make movies Night Wolf might like. The goal is to make movies that as many people as possible will pay to see.
We were talking about ourselves not hollywood execs. youre not focused. I just said marvel movies are bad cause they are too jokey for my advanced taste then you started talking about numbers, blah, blah...
Corn Viper
Super Poseable

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 am

felgekarp wrote:
I’d be more than happy to get the kind of things that roam around dungeons and some dragons from a dungeons and dragons line.
Yesssss!
Aggro Ninja
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:24 am

Corn Viper wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 am
felgekarp wrote:
Yesssss!
I feel like I'd be more likely to purchase figures of D&D's monsters than I am to purchase D&D characters. The cartoon guys, sure, Warduke, maybe, Drizzt's companions, I might pick them up on clearance... But some owlbears, rust monsters, dragons, mind flayers, a beholder? Yeah, insta buys, all.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”