Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:50 pm

Corn Viper wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 pm
Night Wolf wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:58 am
Ok i saw the trailer for the D&D movie, not happy at all. i thought it was gonna be based on the cartoon. it looks good as a stand alone movie but not have the D&D title. another thing that bothers me is cris pine, never liked him. oh well, ill still see it cuz im a D&D fan. Again, not happy though...
Going off the trailer it looks like there's gonna be too much comedy for my tastes. I would prefer a more serious film. But I will give it a chance, better performance by the film will probably mean more D&D figures.

I agree with you 100%, not really into the "funny" route. thats why i hate marvel movies. leave the comedy for actual comedy films.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:42 am

Why would anyone think the live-action movie was going to be based on the cartoon, when the cartoon was such a small blip in the lifespan of the property? Dungeons and Dragons has been around for 40 years. The cartoon lasted one season.

They're trying to market the movie as something fun. We already have dour/uber-serious Game of Thrones and mostly-serious LOTR. A fun take on fantasy will stand out right now. Hopefully, it's a success, as I'd like there to be more successful fantasy tv/film franchises. So many just don't succeed.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:50 am

Ash Talon wrote:
They're trying to market the movie as something fun. We already have dour/uber-serious Game of Thrones and mostly-serious LOTR. A fun take on fantasy will stand out right now. Hopefully, it's a success, as I'd like there to be more successful fantasy tv/film franchises. So many just don't succeed.
I totally agree that there's nothing wrong with a franchise, let alone a movie, being fun. Game of thrones is SO serious all the time. Having a fantasy property that can lean into the fun magical stuff would be great. It doesn't mean the movie is a comedy - like Willow - it can have serious action with funny bits.

The idea that the entire MCU is garbage because it has light-hearted moments is crazy to me. And apparently to many - there's a reason the MCU fared better than the Snyderverse.

But, I'll admit to being shocked at hearing the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was only one season. I remember loving it so much, and having such fond memories, it seems like it must have had a multi-season run. Funny how the mind plays tricks.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 am

Doesnt matter if it was 1 season. heck, there are alot figure lines based on just one 2 hour movie.
never played the game but i do remember seeing the cartoon vividly and it was my childhood/"Blip"
I know the Fwoosh threads is mostly marvel BUT im a hardcore DC guy so theres that also....and i dont think it "fared better"
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:19 pm

I thought D&D had representation at the Pulse Con, but I don't see it on the schedule.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Why would anyone think the live-action movie was going to be based on the cartoon, when the cartoon was such a small blip in the lifespan of the property? Dungeons and Dragons has been around for 40 years. The cartoon lasted one season.

Totally, my love for D&D happened well before the cartoon. My nostalgia comes from playing the game in my buddies garage in the 70's with a few other neighboorhood kids, and pouring over all the awesome character designs in the players manuals.

The cartoon is cool though, and certainly does have a rightful place in D&D mythos. I totally get the nostalgia for those that grew up with the it, and am really happy that Hasbro is cranking out figures from the show.

Watching the Pulse panel right now. They had a small unannounced section on D&D. No pics, but they did announce that they're definitely doing figures from the new movie. Trailer looks great to me, I'm difinitely going to the theater for this flick!
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:42 pm

*oh wait - I think it's just the "preview show" that Im watching. This panel/youtube social media thing is just so wierd.
EICzerofour
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 pm

The three kids are up on Hasbro Pulse and BBTS for preorder. Est date on Pulse is January 31st, BBTS says 1st Quarter 2023.
jonaskane
Avengers Assemble

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Technically the cartoon ran three seasons for 27 total episodes, but I agree that it's not reasonable to expect a movie based solely on that (as much as I'd love one).

I think the movie is going to play with the fact that D&D itself is approaching the 50th anniversary and all the various iterations and permutations it has been through. I'm holding out hope for a DragonLance cameo of some sort, and I expect we may see 'big' names from the franchise pop in as well. I admit when I first saw the character designs I was a little nervous (especially as I've never been a fan of the bard character class) but the trailer definitely sold me.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:31 pm

Wait what? I had secret hopes but really? Regarding rumors of the film.

It’s exciting to think about. I hope if the rumor is true it is well done.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:35 pm

they just made a movie about a Singing alligator (WTF) they can make a movie from 3 seasons of the cartoon...
thewyldman
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:44 pm

Night Wolf wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:35 pm
they just made a movie about a Singing alligator (WTF) they can make a movie from 3 seasons of the cartoon...
Yes but the cartoon is only a small faction of the D&D lore and cultural impact. I think they are taking the right approach to doing a Dungeons and Dragons movie. A fun team and not making it super serious like most other fantasy films. Plus you might be happy with some rumors about the film if they're true.
Corn Viper
Super Poseable

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:02 pm

The amount of comedy in the trailer reminds me of Thor Love and Thunder.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:56 pm

Yeah, I have heard the writers/directors compare this movie to Guradians of the Galaxy meets sword and sorcery. And honestly, I'm cool with that. I do understand those who get a little tired of all the comedy, humor, and silliness in Marvel though. It used to have a much better mix of seriousness and humor. But nowadays it's mostly humor, and very silly humor at that.

For instance, I loved Ragnorok. It had a nice blend of seriousness, as well as an appropriate feel for a God Warrior film. It achieved seriousness, bad assness, and humor all in one. Thor Love and Thunder however was just silly ass stupid and made Thor, the God of Thunder, seem like a moron. And it PG'd Gorr THE GOD BUTCHER! That movie, and the character Gorr, should have been so bad ass. They weren't.

In my personal opinion that is.

But with this D&D movie, kicking off a new film franchise, I don't see the harm in a little humor and light heartedness. There are already so many serious Sword and Sorcery type Franchises going right now with Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, and The Witcher. I think a Guardians of the Galaxy approach to the genre, when kicking off a new film franchise for D&D is an intelligent and really fresh way to go right now. And I'm excited to see it.

Again, opinion only.

Also, it's hard to go all in, really serious in a fantasy, sci-fi, Western, Pirate, or sword and sorcery film and have it come out successful. If your script, for a newly beginning franchise in one of those genres is deadly serious, and intended more for an adult audience, you HAVE to be certain that script is amazing, you have great actors, and the film looks incredible. Otherwise........flop.
felgekarp
Avengers Assemble

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 pm

It can’t be any worse than the last film.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”