Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: We want more, Hasbro!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:40 pm
I really wish Hasbro/WOTC would make some kind of statement on what their damn problem is. Like.. you OWN this property. Why did we get one random figure and then nothing else, while a totally different toy company is announcing product? The [email protected]#$, WotC?
If I had to guess, Drizzt didn't meet expectations, and as Hasbro has been doing recently, they're licensing out parts of their licenses. We currently have no idea what NECA is allowed to make, just that they've making Warduke and Grimsword, so it could be inferred that they at least have access to the LJN figures (since Grimsword is a wave 2, that rules out limitations to the cartoon). It's entirely possible that Hasbro will continue Forgotten Realms on their own, and maybe license the cartoon to someone else, and maybe the Dragonlance stuff to another company, and however else they're able to sell the license. I would doubt we'll hear anything from Hasbro directly on the subject outside of press releases, at most.

We'll probably see the same thing happen with MTG. But with a Netflix series for MTG and a D&D movie coming, who knows, they may want a piece of that pie via toys, or perhaps they'll think they're better off just licensing it out again (if there are interested buyers, of course).
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:30 pm

Megazarak wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
I really wish Hasbro/WOTC would make some kind of statement on what their damn problem is. Like.. you OWN this property. Why did we get one random figure and then nothing else, while a totally different toy company is announcing product? The [email protected]#$, WotC?
If I had to guess, Drizzt didn't meet expectations, and as Hasbro has been doing recently, they're licensing out parts of their licenses. We currently have no idea what NECA is allowed to make, just that they've making Warduke and Grimsword, so it could be inferred that they at least have access to the LJN figures (since Grimsword is a wave 2, that rules out limitations to the cartoon). It's entirely possible that Hasbro will continue Forgotten Realms on their own, and maybe license the cartoon to someone else, and maybe the Dragonlance stuff to another company, and however else they're able to sell the license. I would doubt we'll hear anything from Hasbro directly on the subject outside of press releases, at most.

We'll probably see the same thing happen with MTG. But with a Netflix series for MTG and a D&D movie coming, who knows, they may want a piece of that pie via toys, or perhaps they'll think they're better off just licensing it out again (if there are interested buyers, of course).
Oh, I get all that. It's just dumb and counter-productive. Like, Drizzt maybe didn't meet expectations - but there's almost no way the figure deal with NECA wasn't in the works before Drizzt's numbers were in. So they were already planning to license part of the franchise out before even knowing if Drizzt would be well-received or not. And it's not like they could be surprised if Drizzt didn't perform exceptionally well when they released him with basically NO support at all. No comments. No reports of potential future figures. No hints that this was anything but a one-off figure. That's what I mean by a statement from them (which, of course, I don't expect they'd ever do). Like, they just throw this random 6" Hasbro-style figure out there one time, never say anything about it ever again, and months and months later a different company announces different-scale, different-style figures from the same overall brand. It's bizarre.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:58 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Oh, I get all that. It's just dumb and counter-productive. Like, Drizzt maybe didn't meet expectations - but there's almost no way the figure deal with NECA wasn't in the works before Drizzt's numbers were in. So they were already planning to license part of the franchise out before even knowing if Drizzt would be well-received or not. And it's not like they could be surprised if Drizzt didn't perform exceptionally well when they released him with basically NO support at all. No comments. No reports of potential future figures. No hints that this was anything but a one-off figure. That's what I mean by a statement from them (which, of course, I don't expect they'd ever do). Like, they just throw this random 6" Hasbro-style figure out there one time, never say anything about it ever again, and months and months later a different company announces different-scale, different-style figures from the same overall brand. It's bizarre.
It's like the kind of thing that happens when there's executive-level turnover and old projects get dumped. Part of me wonders if maybe a bigger D&D push was planned to gear up for the movie, but that got pushed back for Covid reasons. That was originally supposed to be out this past July, but filming completed last month. So if Hasbro's going to do more D&D figures, they probably want to line it up with the new 2023 release date.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 am

It really is wild to me that they licensed it out when they own the ability to make their own line. Although licensing bucks from NECA is probably more appealing than being on the hook for the product if it doesn't sell, and Drizz't, as amazing a figure as he is, was never sold out on Pulse IIRC.

That being said, licensing out the old school characters doesn't preclude them from holding onto, say, Forgotten Realms for themselves (I say, out loud, like I'm willing a mind flayer figure to happen right now)
EICzerofour
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:03 am

Kinda sad Warduke and Drizzt won't be in scale. I first saw these shared in the Mythic Legion Cabal on fb and thought they were customs until I saw it on ig. I am worried these won't be advertised very well.

On a side note, I doubt it is coincidence that all the ljn characters are appearing in the newest handbook. (or most? Haven't read it yet). Hopefully we get a cool ongoing d&d line from someone. As much as I would have preferred Drizzt / book line, ljn remakes are gonna be fun too. If it continues.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:13 am

Seems like Drizzt is only around 5'4, and since he's 6" tall, he might actually scale quite well.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:35 pm

Yeah, traditionally D&D elves are on the short side for humans, so Drizz't not scaling doesn't bother me much. He looks like a peanut when I've set him up with Mythic Legions figures, but it works having him fighting towering orcs or whatever.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 am

I believe the question is simple. Hasbro only cares about franchises that make a certain profit. Dungeons & Dragons has everything to be a great collection but they start a possible line with an exclusive figure. They could have encouraged the collection by showing new characters. I hope that at least Neca can release a new Drizzt and his companions as the quality of the figure in general, especially the sculpture, is much better than Hasbro.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:12 pm

D&D is on the agenda for Pulsecon I believe?
Aggro Ninja
Super Poseable

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Megazarak wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:

I'm suspecting Hasbro still doesn't have a lot of confidence in D&D as a line. Prior to the release of 5e, D&D had been reduced to an "Evergreen" line, just a small staff and minimal yearly investment from Hasbro, with a small line of evergreen products (PHB, DMG, and MM) plus an adventure per year. 5e taking off caught them by surprise and they've been increasing WotC's staff and budget for D&D, but that's clearly not translating into faith in the brand's ability to support product other than the game.

Starting with just Drizzt was clearly a test the water situation with what they perceived as D&D's most popular character (I'd argue he's not, or at least not universally supported enough to really test the line with). They'd have done better if they tested the waters with a full wave plus Drizzt, cause I feel like a lot of people held back on purchasing Drizzt to see what else Hasbro would do. Though they missed a great set, I'm not a Drizzt fan but Guehnwyvar is fantastic and we don't get a lot of fully articulated animal figures.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:01 pm

D&D isn't on the Pulsecon agenda. So that's probably that then.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm

I saw that too. Pretty disappointing.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 am

The wild thing? Apparently WOTC makes more money than the toy division for Hasbro:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/476 ... y-business

I wonder if there's no Drizz't follow up because it's just more profitable to focus on the D&D stuff they're already doing and not bother with toys.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:34 pm

It's probably simply a matter of Hasbro having a goal in mind for the Drizzt figure that it just didn't hit. It's so much easier for them to just pivot to licensing the brand out and letting someone else assume the risk (like NECA) than dedicate resources to making their own in-house line. It certainly would appear the ship has sailed though if they're not even touching on the subject this weekend.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Interesting Avalon Hill has a panel during Hascon. While D&D isn’t under the Avalon Hill banner, I wonder what Avalon Hill will be showing off?

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”