Mattel Jurassic Park Lines

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Mattel Jurassic Park Lines

Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:24 am

TENIME_art wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:11 pm
Just got a shipping notice for Sexy Malcolm!
Same. Finally.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Still trying to decide if I can wrap my head around the 1:18 scale to go all-in on the Hammond line. I certainly do get that it's more realistically space-efficient for dinos to be in 1:18 scale instead of 1:12 scale.

I've spent half of this week looking for size comparisons of the Hammond Rex with the Colossal Rex, but couldn't find much. So here's a comparison featuring all 1:12 scale figures along with the 1:18 Rex which I went ahead and took the plunge on yesterday despite feeling disappointed in him being in a smaller scale than I want. :oops:

The saving grace of the scale debate between 1:12 and 1:18 is if someone eventually creates a full line of dinosaurs in twelfth scale we can use the 1:18 scale figures as teenage dinosaurs. :D

fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:04 pm

Got Sexy Malcolm today - decent little set, the "book" will work well with my cheap prop replicas collection. Still not sure I really needed this but happy to have it. Also got the Outhouse set - really love the T-Rex and happy to add Gennaro. Hope this weekend to set up the whole T-Rex compound shelf with the vehicles and figures in full chaos mode...
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:17 am

My sexy Malcolm showed up today too, and sexy is not a word I care to use to describe it in hand. Definitely leaving it in package. The speaker on the base is surprisingly loud (or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised? I think I was just as taken aback by the volume of the death of Mr Arnold set). The “button” is his entire cushion, so that seems like overkill. There’s a large, flat piece of clear plastic inside, the kind used for the bubble, which seems like it has some kind of intention, but I can’t figure out what for. The figure itself is odd, and because it’s so small and limited, he doesn’t pose in that reclined position very naturally. Honestly, I shouldn’t be that shocked. I have the original. I guess I was so preoccupied with the fact that I could buy it, that I didn’t consider whether or not I should.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:09 pm

NORM wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:17 am
I guess I was so preoccupied with the fact that I could buy it, that I didn’t consider whether or not I should.
Heh! :lol: Yeah, it is OK... I need to figure out how to easily remove the base from the book without damaging the book.

Been a busy JP week - Dreadnoughtus just arrived and wow is that a big boy. Absolutely love it - at a time when I wonder what I am paying for more and more with many lines, $65 for this - even with the limited articulation and fairly basic paint - seems like an amazing value. And it is a lumbering giant dinosaur, so I don't need to it to be too posable, but I already can get to have some "personality" in posing it. I think anyone who knows a 5-10 year old that is into dinosaurs should buy one of these for them, I'd have lost my mind to get this at age 6.

The pack for the final Dino battle from Dominion with older Ellie should arrive later as well! It's raining dinos...
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:08 am

Sexy Malcom should arrive Monday for me. Anyone that has one, have you managed to remove the base from the packaging? I've heard it's not removable.

Found Hammond Ellie and Dilophosaurus at Target just now. Ellie turned out better in-hand but the "crap" arms confuse me. Seriously, just sleeveless arms make more sense. The pink top is a separate piece so with sleeveless arms we can have Ellie from the end of the film. Poop-digger Ellie just seems like more an online exclusive. Give us that version of Ellie, the big pile of crap and another Hammond Triceratops. Maybe the paddock worker too. As it is this is one Hammond human figure I won't be buying multiples of off for the different looks.

Dilopho is awesome though. Grabbed two so I can have frills up and frills down! Loving this line so much!
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:51 pm

I just ordered the Dilophosaurus since I never got the Amber one. In my head cannon I think it'll scale better with the Amber Raptor. I always imagined them being smaller than Raptors. But I guess they're actually the same size?
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:00 am

Yeah, I was shocked by how much bigger the Hammond Dilophosaurus was. Doesn't bug me though. Since my store never puts anything out I was online last night late and noticed Target had Bag Man and the Malcolm with Raptor set available for in-store pick-up so I jumped on that. Money's tight so I can pass on wrangler Owen till later. I've heard the Maisie set was cancelled but some places still have her for pre-order.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
I just ordered the Dilophosaurus since I never got the Amber one. In my head cannon I think it'll scale better with the Amber Raptor. I always imagined them being smaller than Raptors. But I guess they're actually the same size?

Dilophosaurus is much bigger than most raptors as shown below so the one in Jurassic Park must have been a juvenile. I'm fine with a figure being JP-sized or even 2 to 3 times bigger. And there's no point in size comparisons to the JP raptor because they just made up the size out of whole cloth because Spielberg didn't think a dog-sized animal like velociraptor was intimidating enough.

Coincidentally after they wrote the screenplay and during filming the Utahraptor species was discovered that's slightly larger than JP velociraptors and of course we now know both species were covered in feathers unlike JP raptors, so there's nothing to really compare them to in the real fossil record.

mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:18 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 pm
mattmurdog wrote:

Dilophosaurus is much bigger than most raptors as shown below so the one in Jurassic Park must have been a juvenile. I'm fine with a figure being JP-sized or even 2 to 3 times bigger. And there's no point in size comparisons to the JP raptor because they just made up the size out of whole cloth because Spielberg didn't think a dog-sized animal like velociraptor was intimidating enough.

Coincidentally after they wrote the screenplay and during filming the Utahraptor species was discovered that's slightly larger than JP velociraptors and of course we now know both species were covered in feathers unlike JP raptors, so there's nothing to really compare them to in the real fossil record.

Damn, everything I know about dinosaurs are wrong thanks to JP! jk I suppose if I treat these as characters in a movie and not real dinos I can manage my dino scaling OCD :wink:
joshsquash729
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 pm

Yeah, being a dino nut as a kid, the Dilophosaurus discrepency always bugged me, but I get that, in the context of the scene, they wanted something that looked cute at first but then turned monstrous, so I'm sure that played a part in why they scaled it down. I've only seen Dominion once, but I don't think they made them any bigger in that, so I think they're just tinier in this universe. I just write it off as them tampering with the DNA a little more, I guess.
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm

Let's not forget that they probably never had frills or spit caustic fluids either! I'm gonna debate the feather thing too! I'm old, I can't see them with feathers. Although I did grow up with tail-dragging T-Rex but the more proportionate leaning forward version does look cooler. Feathers? Can't see it! Unfortunately we'll never, ever know for sure without time travel. If we start messing with DNA and cloning like Hammond all we'll end up with are approximations.

Get your Masie's on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PBBHKPZ/
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:24 am

joshsquash729 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 pm
Yeah, being a dino nut as a kid, the Dilophosaurus discrepency always bugged me, but I get that, in the context of the scene, they wanted something that looked cute at first but then turned monstrous, so I'm sure that played a part in why they scaled it down.

Have you seen any indication that it wasn't just a juvenile? I assumed it in the moment watching the film in 1993 and haven't heard anything to contradict that idea yet. But I also haven't seen anything with anyone involved in the film's production comment on it at all, so I have no inside knowledge on that like I do with the changes they made to some other species, particularly velociraptor by increasing its size quite a lot.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 am

Zombie F-Body wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm
I'm gonna debate the feather thing too! I'm old, I can't see them with feathers. Although I did grow up with tail-dragging T-Rex but the more proportionate leaning forward version does look cooler. Feathers? Can't see it! Unfortunately we'll never, ever know for sure without time travel.

The reason we know now is some fossils have skin impressions or feather impressions in the fossil. There's also a few baby specimens caught in amber with the feathers still attached. Some specimens also have enough skin impressions to strongly suspect they DIDN'T have feathers. For example the one carnotaur fossil that's been found has extensive skin impressions that all look scaly with no feathers found at all.

I can also see it when looking at ostriches and emus. If you look closely at an emu's feet it looks like they're right off of a reptile or a dinosaur.

Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:46 am

I'm partially joking. Yep, some fossils definitely show the feathers. I still don't have to like it! Not denying some probably did have them. A lot of confirmed species though have turned out to just be juveniles of other species. Could be variants of a species with feathers, some might not have them. Look at animals we have today, lots of diversity. Not really looking for a paleontological debate, I was mainly joking, but just making the point that we really have no way of being 100% sure of anything with dinosaurs. Not enough samples have been found. This is the current model. I study physics and the James Webb is making people who have touted scientific fact for decades squirm now. A lot of well known physicists talk about how close we are to the "theory of everything" and I roll my eyes!

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”