Ghostbusters Plasma Series

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm

I think the sculpts across this whole line are excellent (which makes sense: they're all digitally formed, so no excuses). Lots of re-use, but none of it feels wildly inappropriate to me- smart...
But the paint's quite a let down. Underneath- the likenesses are brilliant, painted up: not so great.
Not always awful, but certainly not bringing out the best of the sculpts, and sometimes really masking and diminishing it. It feels like there was a sweet spot where Hasbro revolutionised their colour with face-print/photo-real and paint selection for bodies was appropriate (not flat/gaudy/lacking) and have incrementally been stepping back with cost-cuts since that are now making all their toys look so much cheaper than they're developed to be before production. Colour's a savage problem at Hasbro now. A real shame, harming their own great work at the last leg.

So:
I obviously had to have this 2-pack, but now I do-
I think it's actually a bit of an insult to Ramis.
The paint's really poor, half-hearted and sloppy (and painting the side of the glasses on him and Phoebe black instead of a dark flesh tone really highlights the method of production just being 'goggles') and the transparency looks awful with such dark workings inside. It needed more paint applied atop it, especially at the slight premium price.

Gutted, really, because I've been really, really trying to support this line- was all in on more (from the other Afterlife characters to more classics like Janine and the GB 2 suits, as well as all the antagonists and foes we need), but things really need to improve on the paint front.
It's painful to see a team you're rooting for fail (and it's absolutely not unique to the Ghostbusters team, when it comes to paint letting Hasbro down, I know).
But: Needs more work. Please improve.
GuruAskew
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 988
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:34 am

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:21 pm

The whole thing is an insult to Ramis. Ramis didn’t want Egon to have even a hint of romantic or sexual feelings which is why the World’s Fair coin scene was deleted in the first place (source: the Cleaning up the Town doc) and why Janine was paired up with Louis in II.

Including that scene in a movie that tries to paint Egon as a family man after Ramis’s death is plenty wrong, but having the Shawshank warden digitally wearing Ramis’s face like Hannibal Lecter is disgraceful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:20 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Spoiler! :
My personal head-cannon is that Egon had a friend in college who was interested in using him as a sperm donor and Egon agreed for purely scientific reasons-along the way he developed feelings for the mother and child. Mom kept him updated on Callies life but didnt want Egon to contact her until she was older-and then all the Ghostbusters/Gozer shit happened and he never found the time
GuruAskew wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:21 pm
The whole thing is an insult to Ramis. Ramis didn’t want Egon to have even a hint of romantic or sexual feelings which is why the World’s Fair coin scene was deleted in the first place (source: the Cleaning up the Town doc) and why Janine was paired up with Louis in II.

Including that scene in a movie that tries to paint Egon as a family man after Ramis’s death is plenty wrong, but having the Shawshank warden digitally wearing Ramis’s face like Hannibal Lecter is disgraceful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector4612
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:36 pm

https://www.target.com/p/ghostbusters-p ... A-81959671

Well it was up for half a second that I saw. I managed to get it into my cart and it went out of stock while checking out, so maybe the bots got it, or maybe Target didn't mean to put it up yet. Either way, it's finally up so you can see what stores nearby have it.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3579
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:55 pm

looks like it's back in stock.
User avatar
scottg10
Avengers Assemble
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 am

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:46 pm

I was in store looking for this set when Preternia tweeted the link. I wasn’t finding it on the shelves, so I quickly secured a delivery order. I would have been happy to leave it at that and not have to ask an employee for help, but I just don’t trust Target to deliver to anymore (though they are mostly reliable on in-stock items). I did find a nice employee to pull one from the back and was able to cancel my delivery order.

It is so rare now a days that I actually find the item I went looking for in-store. Most toy runs have been decidedly less satisfying the last couple of years.
User avatar
jkpopculture
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: st louis mo
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Managed to get one online
User avatar
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:56 pm

PSPS13 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm
It's painful to see a team you're rooting for fail (and it's absolutely not unique to the Ghostbusters team, when it comes to paint letting Hasbro down, I know).
But: Needs more work. Please improve.
Until another sequel rolls out, I'm taking the inclusion of the Gatekeeper terror dog as Hasbro's "there ya go...all done!"
User avatar
Leonardo T Dragon
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm

Longbowhunter wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm
Spoiler! :
My personal head-cannon is that Egon had a friend in college who was interested in using him as a sperm donor and Egon agreed for purely scientific reasons-along the way he developed feelings for the mother and child. Mom kept him updated on Callies life but didnt want Egon to contact her until she was older-and then all the Ghostbusters/Gozer shit happened and he never found the time
That's pretty much how I rationalized it as well. (Not 100% but along those lines.)
User avatar
Prophet924
Thwipp!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Close enough to hear TMS roar.
Posts: 10096
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:19 am

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 pm

That was much easier than expected. Thank you for heads up!

Thwipp!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 pm

I set it for in store pick up so hopefully they actually pulled one to the side and have it waiting for me after work tomorrow.

Considering how close the waves were originally suppose to be based on when the movie was originally due out, I get why this set comes with the Zuul head. Originally, it would have been right on the heels of wave one and it would have helped sell extras of that wave. Or, it would have been on the heels of the SDCC exclusive. At least they aren't making us buy the same BaF pieces all over again.

I am still holding out hope for RGB figures in this line, but it looks like they are pretty much done with what they have.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:19 am

featofstrength wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:56 pm
PSPS13 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm
It's painful to see a team you're rooting for fail (and it's absolutely not unique to the Ghostbusters team, when it comes to paint letting Hasbro down, I know).
But: Needs more work. Please improve.
Until another sequel rolls out, I'm taking the inclusion of the Gatekeeper terror dog as Hasbro's "there ya go...all done!"
I could believe that, certainly. And especially after the first wave. Now I'm not so sure- though, as I say, I'd still believe it.
This movie certainly doesn't seem to have bombed, though, and it does seem to have illustrated that a financially successful, current film or show makes all the difference to a toy line (we obviously already knew this, but Ghostbusters has been a good reminder- because I'd, personally, never have expected the first wave to have pegwarmed as much as it did- yet when Afterlife hype kicked in those sold fast). Now: I can only speak for the UK, but this two pack's already sold like crazy, Lucky- of all characters- sold out in several places before the movie was even out- and the Proton Pack looks like a massive success. I doubt Hasbro sees the licence as the failure it looked like a few months ago now.
I'm absolutely not saying more releases are a certainty by any means, but I wouldn't be confident enough, personally, to put money on this being the end of the line.
(If it was: very glad we got the complete line-ups we got, though. I really appreciate that in a line.)
User avatar
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10625
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:35 am

I also get the naysaying, but I think between the goodwill and success of Afterlife, and the successful HasLab, it’s in their interest to not let this sit on the shelf indefinitely.

Real Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II are good for at least a wave each. More if they start doing more ghosts. I keep hoping Sony/Ghost Corps will rerelease the RGB full DVD set and finally give Extreme Ghostbusters an official release. Make me buy them in 4K; just put them back out there.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 am

My hope is that the next movie goes back to the roots of the first one. Not in a nostalgic way, but that it goes back to being more of a comedy.
Spoiler! :
With Winston relocating the equipment to the firehouse and potentially restarting the business, I hope they bring in a new crew or comedians that are looking to franchise out Ghostbusters name. Maybe they come into it thinking of the merchandising rights (like Venkman said in the first one). Maybe one of them gets into it just to be famous and live streams their busts which leads to disaster. 2016 had ghostbusters that were far too altruistic in their motives and it didn't lend itself to comedy. We had our "Force Awakens" Ghostbusters movie, now give us the start of what can be the next trilogy with new characters and a lot less nostalgia.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 am

september_death wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:35 am
I also get the naysaying, but I think between the goodwill and success of Afterlife, and the successful HasLab, it’s in their interest to not let this sit on the shelf indefinitely.

Real Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II are good for at least a wave each. More if they start doing more ghosts. I keep hoping Sony/Ghost Corps will rerelease the RGB full DVD set and finally give Extreme Ghostbusters an official release. Make me buy them in 4K; just put them back out there.
Honestly, we need more ghosts. One of the better parts of the DST line was the inclusion of ghosts for the display. Right now, outside of Gozer and the Terror Dogs, we have no ghosts. Not even Slimer, which is surprising.
Spoiler! :
even more surprising is that Slimer was apparently not even in the movie at all, though I suppose Muncher basically took his place.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”