Ghostbusters Plasma Series

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 pm

I get separating the cost of the wand and the pack, in all areas. The electronics in the wand are probably more complicated, and no matter how it’s packaged, the wand would be a 30% minimum increase to the size of the box.

I think the year separation between the wand being released and the pack being announced is dicey. I still need to get a Spengler wand and many places are sold out. I agree that not including the loom (at the 7000 quantity for the initial buy-in, that’s probably $1 of material) is poor form.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:01 pm

So I backed this thing because as much as I want a proton pack I just don't see myself doing a build myself. I've wanted to build one for years but I need to be honest with myself and concede it's just not happening. There's other stuff I'm more inclined to build even though this is a higher want.

So this pack is definitely a lifesaver for me. I don't care enough about 100% 1984 accuracy so once again...this works for me. I snagged the wand for $80 at gamestop a while back and was crossing my fingers this would come. The only thing that I am kinda bummed about is that this doesn't have the ALICE pack incorporated. Now....I was thinking of building one for a couple years now so I've been sitting on an ALICE pack (LC-2) . I need to do some research on proton pack builds as it sounds like there's some spacers involved.

Anyone with experience building a pack and looking at the pics, how hard do you think it will be to modify this to mount to a ALICE frame?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 pm

maverick10126 wrote:So I backed this thing because as much as I want a proton pack I just don't see myself doing a build myself. I've wanted to build one for years but I need to be honest with myself and concede it's just not happening. There's other stuff I'm more inclined to build even though this is a higher want.

So this pack is definitely a lifesaver for me. I don't care enough about 100% 1984 accuracy so once again...this works for me. I snagged the wand for $80 at gamestop a while back and was crossing my fingers this would come. The only thing that I am kinda bummed about is that this doesn't have the ALICE pack incorporated. Now....I was thinking of building one for a couple years now so I've been sitting on an ALICE pack (LC-2) . I need to do some research on proton pack builds as it sounds like there's some spacers involved.

Anyone with experience building a pack and looking at the pics, how hard do you think it will be to modify this to mount to a ALICE frame?
Depends on how OCD you are; if you’re fine with some extra holes in the side against your back, it looks like tryouts can remove some straps and hopefully just secure the Alice to the factory motherboard. If you want something more secure, I’m sure within a few weeks of this shipping, people will have laser cut aluminum motherboard replacements for around $100.

Reading a lot of complaints in GB fan groups on Facebook, which are hilarious. A quality shell for a pack, no parts, no wand, no electronics, straps, frame, decals, etc. will run around $350. This price is definitely reasonable.
maverick10126

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:55 pm

september_death wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 pm
maverick10126 wrote:So I backed this thing because as much as I want a proton pack I just don't see myself doing a build myself. I've wanted to build one for years but I need to be honest with myself and concede it's just not happening. There's other stuff I'm more inclined to build even though this is a higher want.

Depends on how OCD you are; if you’re fine with some extra holes in the side against your back, it looks like tryouts can remove some straps and hopefully just secure the Alice to the factory motherboard. If you want something more secure, I’m sure within a few weeks of this shipping, people will have laser cut aluminum motherboard replacements for around $100.

Reading a lot of complaints in GB fan groups on Facebook, which are hilarious. A quality shell for a pack, no parts, no wand, no electronics, straps, frame, decals, etc. will run around $350. This price is definitely reasonable.
Oh I agree. This price is a steal for what you get. Buying a fully built proton packs runs a lot more than this. Buying the parts to build it yourself...runs a lot more than this. This is by far the cheapest route to get a 1:1 proton pack replica.

I'm not that OCD on the pack so between buying this or trying to do a build to get a 1984 pack. I'm buying this everytime. I don't care that the pack is 2021 because once again...I'm not that OCD. Holes in the back of the motherboard don't bother me that much.

I'm somewhat insistent on it mounting to an ALICE frame though. That to me is an essential part of the pack. I've always been a little unclear how it mounts exactly though. It sounds like there's a few spacers that go between the motherboard and the frame? Just a little unclear on what the spacers are and where they go exactly.

Did they build this thing with that in mind do you think? I'm checking other forums and people are looking at those circles running down the center of the pack and suspecting those are designed to mount to an ALICE frame center spine.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:08 pm

I’d hope so? Five minutes of searching online would show how much modding there’s been to Spirit and Matty props.

As for how it mounts, your mileage varies depending on what you want. Both methods use the slits along the horizontal bar Bethune the kidney pad, and drill a hole into the vertical piece (which destroys the integrity of modern Alice reproductions). GB1 had custom spacers that are debated to be wood or rubber, where GB2 used more readily available cylindrical spacers. Either way, you want a 1/4x20 x 2” machine screw. Image
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:24 pm

I did build one, and I still want this, as I've wanted a spare so I can do more work/mods on my original, and this costs about a third of what I paid to build mine. Works for me! Preordered a Spengler wand, too, after playing with a buddy's, there are things I like better than Matty, and things I like better on Matty. And this is what I wanted from Mattel after they released their thrower, and $150 less than I thought theirs would be.

And I didn't wait to think it over, as I don't need the money until December, and because I'm Premium, I wanted that slime, haha.
maverick10126

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks for the detailed pics! I'm looking at the Haslab pack and there's also some squarish blocks that look slightly raised behind the kidney pads. Neither these or the circles down the spine look raised enough to be actual spacers though. But I'm looking at those center holes and wondering what's going on there. Is it possible they left cavities in the motherboard to put some bolts through there for those that want to mount to an ALICE frame? I was initially thinking "what if they left us threaded holes" but I question how strong those would be. And tapping some holes seems like an added expense for a mod that's not officially part of the release.

Do you know of any alternatives to mounting the pack without drilling holes to the spine of the ALICE frame? Seems like someone would have made some or figured out some sort of clamp by now.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:30 pm

maverick10126 wrote:Thanks for the detailed pics! I'm looking at the Haslab pack and there's also some squarish blocks that look slightly raised behind the kidney pads. Neither these or the circles down the spine look raised enough to be actual spacers though. But I'm looking at those center holes and wondering what's going on there. Is it possible they left cavities in the motherboard to put some bolts through there for those that want to mount to an ALICE frame? I was initially thinking "what if they left us threaded holes" but I question how strong those would be. And tapping some holes seems like an added expense for a mod that's not officially part of the release.

Do you know of any alternatives to mounting the pack without drilling holes to the spine of the ALICE frame? Seems like someone would have made some or figured out some sort of clamp by now.
No, not really. GBFans is probably the biggest go-to for parts and the owner posted in the last week or so that he had his own run of LC-1 frames produced, and even though aren’t modded for the hole to be predrilled.

While the spirit pack has been around for a few years, I’d wager some level of built pack is still standard, and with those ranging from 20-40 lbs, you want it on the frame securely.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:24 am

Did I read the tier system correctly? You get some easily obtainable, 1984 style loom to connect your wand to the pack if we get x amount of backers…but at no point do we intend to offer the multiple part, more detailed Afterlife loom to connect the Afterlife style wand to the Afterlife style pack…
maverick10126

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:59 pm

I thought Tier 2 was going to include the Afterlife loom. I could be wrong. This thing is coasting into 5k backers. It's flown past the Rancor and the Skystriker. Those two have had 5 more days to get to their numbers. I imagine this thing will be backed by the time the weekend is over. At this pace it's definitely getting all of it's tiers unlocked.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:29 pm

I'm still on the fence, only because I just did the Galactus project project I can't justify 2 haslab projects back to back like that.

It is worth it if you have the cash, especially if you already have the wand. I don't have the wand already so for me thus is at least 525 plus tax, not to mention the frame which I don't even know the cost of.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Child_of_the_90's wrote:
I'm still on the fence, only because I just did the Galactus project project I can't justify 2 haslab projects back to back like that.

It is worth it if you have the cash, especially if you already have the wand. I don't have the wand already so for me thus is at least 525 plus tax, not to mention the frame which I don't even know the cost of.

I'm not a big enough GB fan to want to go in on this, especially with the current 3 Haslabs running. If this was the only Haslab I might.....might have been willing. However the fact that it is missing a bunch of things that would really make it more screen accurate to the original also was a deterrent. Not to mention the whole buying the wand separately thing.

However others have pointed out that to get something similar to this, even with having to buy the extra pieces separately, would run over a thousand easily. I don't know if that is true or not, but considering how fast this is adding backers (also thanks to the 48 hour bonus goo/slime) I guess there is truth to that statement.
maverick10126

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:09 pm

canprime wrote:
Child_of_the_90's wrote:

However others have pointed out that to get something similar to this, even with having to buy the extra pieces separately, would run over a thousand easily. I don't know if that is true or not, but considering how fast this is adding backers (also thanks to the 48 hour bonus goo/slime) I guess there is truth to that statement.
It's very true...just head over to gbfans.com and check out the store. They have pretty much all the parts to build a replica proton pack. That's just for the parts to build it mind you...this Haslab has taken all the labor out of it which costs something....

Particle Accelerator Fiberglass Hero Shell: $325
Aluminum Motherboard: $50

….two items in our shopping cart and we have almost matched the price of this Haslab one. And those two items are a long way from completing a pack.

Speaker: $17
Light Kit Adapter Board: $12
Sound Board: $70

You get the point...you blow past the price of this with just the empty shell and the electronics....all before you start adding all the detail items to the shell itself. The price balloons over 1k fast.

Anovos took pre-orders on their 1984 replica....$3400.....just for comparison. Now it's likely that one will be nicer than this....but $400 for a 1:1 replica pack that most people will think looks perfect...it's a steal. Even adding in the wand and the Alice frame brings it up to only $550 or so.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:09 pm
canprime wrote:
Child_of_the_90's wrote:

It's very true...just head over to gbfans.com and check out the store. They have pretty much all the parts to build a replica proton pack. That's just for the parts to build it mind you...this Haslab has taken all the labor out of it which costs something....

Particle Accelerator Fiberglass Hero Shell: $325
Aluminum Motherboard: $50

….two items in our shopping cart and we have almost matched the price of this Haslab one. And those two items are a long way from completing a pack.

Speaker: $17
Light Kit Adapter Board: $12
Sound Board: $70

You get the point...you blow past the price of this with just the empty shell and the electronics....all before you start adding all the detail items to the shell itself. The price balloons over 1k fast.

Anovos took pre-orders on their 1984 replica....$3400.....just for comparison. Now it's likely that one will be nicer than this....but $400 for a 1:1 replica pack that most people will think looks perfect...it's a steal. Even adding in the wand and the Alice frame brings it up to only $550 or so.
WOW!

So Hasbro is selling us a cheap piece of garbage then! :mrgreen:

I can definitely see how the Haslab, even with having to shell out for the Wand and a "frame" is still a great deal compared to those prices. I guess the next big question is how many backers will they get? It should be interesting to see the final total as it is one of the few public ways of seeing how "popular" a franchise is for Hasbro (and us).
maverick10126

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:18 pm

The thing to remember about the wand, if you don't already own it, is that sites are taking pre-orders for an additional run for delivery next year. Meaning that $125 isn't due when this campaign ends. More likely March is when those orders process. Helps take the sting out a bit. Also it being a retail item, you can always try to find a sale. I got my wand at Gamestop for $80.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”