Ghostbusters Plasma Series

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
superdoug
CROM!

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Where are you finding pictures clear enough to read the back of the packaging? I am curious to see what it says about Ray. Thanks!
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm

?

Was Venkman not a professor in the first movie? He was working in a college. Second movie he pivoted to a reality tv host which makes sense since they got famous in the first movie and he’s a ham wanting everyone’s attention. When the fame dies you go back to teaching.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Peter, Ray, and Egon were professors at Columbia in the first film IIRC. Stuck with me because Ray's rant about how the other two haven't worked in the private sector, "they expect RESULTS!" sailed over my head as a kid but it's hilarious now that I've actually worked with professors and other higher ed folks trying to start a business and watched them panic and melt down like Ray does in that scene.

Not to prolong the genre debate, but working with publishers, genre is all shelving, just a way to help the audience find what they like, and the film industry is the same way. There's no hard and fast rules of what genre anything is, and usually (like the first Ghostbusters!) films that just tell the best story they can and worry about genre later tend to be the ones that last. Personally I'd shelve GB as a supernatural comedy, but it's so cleverly done it's kind of its own thing. The world's gotten so intense about categories now I think it actually hurts creators trying to do something new that doesn't fit into one silo or another these days.
GuruAskew
CROM!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:20 pm

The improv actor from the Second City and SNL and The Blues Brothers did not conceive of a movie with his comedy partner who also had the Second City/SNL background, plus a background in the National Lampoon radio show, with an unknown genre. He also did not conceive of the film as a trio with the young breakout star of the then-current incarnation of SNL for a movie with an unknown genre. When his comedy partner died, he did not turn to the producer of Animal House/director of Meatballs and Stripes for a movie of an unknown genre. That director did not pair that writer with another improv comedian with a background in the Second City and SCTV and screenwriter credits on Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack and Stripes to write a movie that wasn’t a comedy. To replace the deceased star in the lead role, guess where they turned? You guessed it, to two actors. One of those actors was, you guessed it, an improv comic with an SNL/Second City background. He didn’t get the part. The guy who did? He was also an improv comic with an SNL/Second City background. That guy did want to branch out into dramatic work, and he got Columbia Pictures to bankroll his dramatic debut. How did he do that? By agreeing to star in the big crowd-pleasing comedy that is Ghostbusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:21 pm

Were they professors, or did they just do research? I don't know if they were actually teaching there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Gambitfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm

Weren't they all Dr's to begin with except Winston?
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:20 pm

yes the main three are doctors with ph.d's. winston was a everyday man.

according to wiki here they were professors at a university.
Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, and Egon Spengler are parapsychology professors at Columbia University investigating the paranormal. Following their first encounter with a ghost manifesting at the New York Public Library, the university dean fires them and dismisses the credibility of their research.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 pm

NEW BATMAN wrote:yes the main three are doctors with ph.d's. winston was a everyday man.

according to wiki here they were professors at a university.
Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, and Egon Spengler are parapsychology professors at Columbia University investigating the paranormal. Following their first encounter with a ghost manifesting at the New York Public Library, the university dean fires them and dismisses the credibility of their research.
Yeah see people making me think I’m getting Mandela effected. Saying him being a professor would be a weird twist. And I’m sitting here remembering the opening scene where they are in the Columbia university psychology department and the dean yelling at them. And then saying he should be a talk show host and I’m like HE WAS!(kinda) in the second movie. Like…did we watch the same movies Image
Thwiptster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:29 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but I’m just having a hell of a time finding Egon. Any idea why he’s so much harder to find compared to the rest of the line? Anyone have a lead on where to find one besides stupid eBay? Did I miss the boat and have to wait for a dumb glow in the dark version?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Thwiptster wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but I’m just having a hell of a time finding Egon. Any idea why he’s so much harder to find compared to the rest of the line? Anyone have a lead on where to find one besides stupid eBay? Did I miss the boat and have to wait for a dumb glow in the dark version?
I started seeing Plasma series stuff for the first time at Walgreens a few weeks ago, and there was an Egon there. May want to check around if that’s an option.

No clue why he’s more rare. I haven’t check eBay, but speculation because Harold Ramis no longer being with us is the only thing I can think of, even though that’s not a recent passing.
Thwiptster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:43 pm

september_death wrote:
Thwiptster wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but I’m just having a hell of a time finding Egon. Any idea why he’s so much harder to find compared to the rest of the line? Anyone have a lead on where to find one besides stupid eBay? Did I miss the boat and have to wait for a dumb glow in the dark version?
I started seeing Plasma series stuff for the first time at Walgreens a few weeks ago, and there was an Egon there. May want to check around if that’s an option.

No clue why he’s more rare. I haven’t check eBay, but speculation because Harold Ramis no longer being with us is the only thing I can think of, even though that’s not a recent passing.
I’ll give Walgreens a shot, thanks!
Maximoff
no more subnics

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 pm

Much later shipments I came across egon regularly. But early shipments he was harder to find and I definitely attribute it to his passing. Only one I paid full price for because I know how people think with that kind of thing and didn’t want to miss him. You definitely won’t find him at target now since they deep discounted the whole series. And Walmart clearanced them several months ago. Anywhere that would still be full price is the best bet. Walgreens, maybe GameStop or FYE, meijer if you’re in the Midwest.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:04 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 am
Child_of_the_90's wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:49 pm

Venkman as a professor... hmm... I suppose I can see that. Maybe not in an Ivy LEague school, but I could see him being one at a community college.
I picture him as more of a gameshow host.

spinc
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:04 am

I read them on BBTS's listings, there are photos of the back.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:29 pm

Terror Sentinel IS actually a limited artic statue. WTF, Hasbro!?

https://toynewsi.com/278-39774

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”

Recent Topics