Ghostbusters Plasma Series

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:11 pm

I don’t think this is a black and white argument, but I’m also not invested in making a long argument.

Alien and Star Wars are both sci-fi, but they have totally different experiences. But I could lump them both in sci-fi and walk away.
GuruAskew
CROM!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 pm

september_death wrote:I don’t think this is a black and white argument, but I’m also not invested in making a long argument.

Alien and Star Wars are both sci-fi, but they have totally different experiences. But I could lump them both in sci-fi and walk away.
You could, and you should, because they’re both sci-fi movies. Do you know what a genre is?

Movies have secondary genres. Trading Places isn’t half comedy, half Wall Street. Stripes isn’t half comedy, half Full Metal Jacket.

Literally every movie that has ever existed has had a theme and a setting. A comedy having a premise does not negate its nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:19 pm

GuruAskew wrote:
september_death wrote:I don’t think this is a black and white argument, but I’m also not invested in making a long argument.

You could, and you should, because they’re both sci-fi movies. Do you know what a genre is?

Movies have secondary genres. Trading Places isn’t half comedy, half Wall Street. Stripes isn’t half comedy, half Full Metal Jacket.

Literally every movie that has ever existed has had a theme and a setting. A comedy having a premise does not negate the its nature.

I do. And I’m not making the case that Ghostbusters is a horror-comedy ala Army of Darkness. But there’s a lot of people saying it’s a comedy periodt, without wanting to discuss any secondary/sub genre.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm

Yeah. GB was definitely a comedy.

Certain bubbles of nerds are trying to inflate it into being this straight-laced sci-fi/supernatural property, especially after the cartoons... but to mainstream audiences, it was a comedy.

In fact, without Bill Murray (or someone like him) as the comedic lead, it wouldn't have worked. Rewatching it, it's very much a Bill Murray comedy movie. The others just play off him in a supporting manner.

IMO Paul Rudd had the potential to do the same for a modern GB movie, but Sony goofed up by making kids into the Ghostbusters, instead of him and other funny actors to play off him.

I'd be shocked of Jason Reitman truly has full creative control here. This film feels so studio-driven by Sony execs that still don't get why 84 worked so well.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 pm

I wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to argue that Ghostbusters isn't a comedy (it is)....more so that it's such a UNIQUE comedy. I mean, what other comedies out there are really like it?

I was really trying to point out that making another Ghostbusters movie and just focusing so much on the "comedy" aspect is really a recipe for disaster. If you get hung up on Ghostbusters being a comedy and no Ghostbusters movie can work unless it's a "comedy"....well you're stuck. You are trying to capture lighting in a bottle twice and it just wont work. Don't stress the comedy aspect too much, if you get stuck on forcing it into a comedy you get 2016 Ghostbusters.

The worst thing a franchise can do is get stuck in the rules that made the first one successful and become terrified to try new things. T2 took the basic premise of the Terminator and turned it just enough. Everything was familiar but different. Sarah Connor became a Terminator like figure, Arnold was now the good guy, but the basics remained. Every terminator movie since then has run out of ideas and can't bring a new take or a new spin on the idea.

I don't want GB84 again. I have it already, it's great. Give me something new, a new story that takes the original premise and expands on it in a new and interesting way. Something that continues the established lore without retelling the exact same story. So far, from what we have seen...this is what's happening with this movie. In a world where everything is a remake....I'm excited for a movie that has the courage to try something different.

Will this movie work? No idea, but I'd rather it be in Jason Reitman's hands than anyone else at this point. And if this truly is the movie that gets Bill Murray to strap on a proton pack again. I don't care how the movie turns out. That alone is a huge win imo.
GuruAskew
CROM!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 pm

If you truly want something new then a Ghostbusters sequel probably isn’t what you want.

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 pm

maverick10126 wrote:I wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to argue that Ghostbusters isn't a comedy (it is)....more so that it's such a UNIQUE comedy. I mean, what other comedies out there are really like it?

I was really trying to point out that making another Ghostbusters movie and just focusing so much on the "comedy" aspect is really a recipe for disaster. If you get hung up on Ghostbusters being a comedy and no Ghostbusters movie can work unless it's a "comedy"....well you're stuck. You are trying to capture lighting in a bottle twice and it just wont work. Don't stress the comedy aspect too much, if you get stuck on forcing it into a comedy you get 2016 Ghostbusters.

The worst thing a franchise can do is get stuck in the rules that made the first one successful and become terrified to try new things. T2 took the basic premise of the Terminator and turned it just enough. Everything was familiar but different. Sarah Connor became a Terminator like figure, Arnold was now the good guy, but the basics remained. Every terminator movie since then has run out of ideas and can't bring a new take or a new spin on the idea.

I don't want GB84 again. I have it already, it's great. Give me something new, a new story that takes the original premise and expands on it in a new and interesting way. Something that continues the established lore without retelling the exact same story. So far, from what we have seen...this is what's happening with this movie. In a world where everything is a remake....I'm excited for a movie that has the courage to try something different.

Will this movie work? No idea, but I'd rather it be in Jason Reitman's hands than anyone else at this point. And if this truly is the movie that gets Bill Murray to strap on a proton pack again. I don't care how the movie turns out. That alone is a huge win imo.
Unrelated to this, I think a lot of these older properties need to wade into television/streaming. The MCU clearly shows that people like a serialized story, but studios don’t want to take a risk and sign on three or more movies. Not to say that every entry wouldn’t need a self-contained story, but waiting for a new entry to succeed how you get stuck in a cycle or reboots (particularly hitting Terminator and Predator).

Opening up a story for 6-10 hours instead of 90-120 minutes would give these properties and new blood a lot more room the breath. And tying it back to Ghostbusters, there’s room for action. All three films have a mid-movie bust and a big finale. GB2 feels a little oomph because the montage has more effects work than the montage in GB1 (and I’ll say a montage would have helped 2016 in several ways). But you take Real Ghostbusters, which changed the tone between 1 and 2 (for better or worse), there’s at least one bust per episode. Compare to the movies, there’s a lot of room for more “action” scenes. (I get there’s only so much “action” in a bust; as someone with full GB cosplay gear, I don’t want people doing flips and rolls in packs). Like Maverick said, they need to pivot the franchise just enough to face a different direction. And I think getting away from the constraints of a feature length duration could help there.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:48 pm

I'd be in favor of a limited series streaming show. I'm really loving the format. I love the 2009 Video Game and look at the length of that story.

I think Ghostbusters could really benefit from that kind of expansive world building. Tobin's Spirit Guide always intrigued me. I always liked Egon's speech about Shandor. I think GB could lean more into the mystery/research aspect of Ghostbusting with a longer format. A big piece of the GB1 plot was the research into Gozer, learning about Ivo Shandor etc. Plenty of opportunities for longer running plots following that format. It keeps the franchise fresh without changing it too much.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm

K_Steel wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm
Yeah. GB was definitely a comedy.

Certain bubbles of nerds are trying to inflate it into being this straight-laced sci-fi/supernatural property, especially after the cartoons... but to mainstream audiences, it was a comedy.

In fact, without Bill Murray (or someone like him) as the comedic lead, it wouldn't have worked. Rewatching it, it's very much a Bill Murray comedy movie. The others just play off him in a supporting manner.

IMO Paul Rudd had the potential to do the same for a modern GB movie, but Sony goofed up by making kids into the Ghostbusters, instead of him and other funny actors to play off him.

I'd be shocked of Jason Reitman truly has full creative control here. This film feels so studio-driven by Sony execs that still don't get why 84 worked so well.
Ghostbusters works because it is a carefully crafted mix of comedy and sci-fi/horror. There are some truly scary scenes in the movie. They take the sci-fi stuff very seriously while mixing in a great deal of humor. Murray certainly makes the movie, though, as many of his adlibs apparently gave us a majority of the best lines.

Yes, the movie is a comedy primarily, but it was also most certainly meant to be sci-fi as well.
PresidentJuggernaut
Customized

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 pm

I guess some people just don't understand that there are different types of comedies, with different types of worlds and premises. You can have a movie like Ghostbusters or Beverly Hills Cop, where there are serious stakes and the comedy comes from the character personalities. Or you can have your more absurd comedies, where everything is potentially unusual, like an Airplane or Blazing Saddles. But comedies commonly incorporate another genre, whether they are parodies, action comedies, horror comedies, sci-fi comedies, dramedies...
GuruAskew
CROM!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 pm

People seem to think that any non-comedic element negates the presence of comedy, and that is absurd. All of these contemporary comedies that people are hilariously saying are different? They do it too.

People seem to be baffled by the concept of verisimilitude. You need to sell the concept of busting ghosts just like you need to have authenticity in your portrayal of college life in Animal House, or the military or boot camp in Stripes, or a golf course in Caddyshack, or the stock market in Trading Places.

Nobody on earth has ever said that those movies cease to be comedies when they strive for authenticity and believability. Ghostbusters doesn’t either. The simple fact of the matter is you could make a non-comedy movie like Ghostbusters, but they didn’t. It’s a movie called Ghostbusters. They do a really [email protected]#$ good job at making the business believable and interesting and logical and of giving the the heroes something to overcome and accomplish. Practically every comedy does that.

spinc
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 pm

Seriously guys? You're debating on what GB is? It's a comedy with horror elements. I personally like the horror elements best, since I only got the comedy when I was an adult. But it's the mix of the two, lighthearted comedy mixed with horror what really drove it home for me at least. That's what GB is. Even the cartoon understood this.

I would love a new series, the first two season of RGB are amazing and really do work, so a series could work too. But I would seriously like them to move on from Gozer and Shandor. I mean the first movie deals with them. Okay. The game deals with them. Sure. But now the third movie deals with them too? I mean it's a little too much. I like the mythology of ghosts and gods and sub gods they made, it would be good to focus on more things.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 pm

They have shown the back of the boxes for the new figures, and they say that Peter is now a professor? That's an interesting take! And that Winston works in an office now.

It's amusing how the trailers gave away pretty much nothing about the guys... but the toys not only showed us how they look in their suits now, but also potential props that will play a part in the movie, plus reveal a bit of what has happened to them since.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:49 pm

I was hoping that Winston would be the one to become a professor. Hoping they would have kept that story element from the video game where he got his PhD. I suppose it would have been hard to do with the GBs out of business though.

Venkman as a professor... hmm... I suppose I can see that. Maybe not in an Ivy LEague school, but I could see him being one at a community college.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 am

Child_of_the_90's wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:49 pm

Venkman as a professor... hmm... I suppose I can see that. Maybe not in an Ivy LEague school, but I could see him being one at a community college.
I picture him as more of a gameshow host.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”