Ghostbusters Plasma Series

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
GuruAskew
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Ghostbusters Plasma Series

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm

I have such a bad feeling about this movie.

It might be hard to remember, but before ATC was the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, and even before EGB was widely ridiculed, the most unanimously-unpopular part of the Ghostbusters franchise was the Junior Ghostbusters in RGB.

So we’re about to get a Junior Ghostbusters movie with the actual Ghostbusters making a cameo appearance. And it’s not a comedy. And they’ve given an obviously-asexual character a family when he only [email protected]#$ a jar of slime in the original movies in the name of science, just because the actor died and the wanted to pay some kind of sentimental tribute to him in the movie in spite of the fact that it’s all so out-of-character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Well, Egon wasn't completely made of stone.

I'm sure he had some measure of affection for his collection of spores, molds, and fungus.
KvHulk
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm

The good news if anyone likes the figures (and can wait) I'm sure this time next year they'll be $7-12/each
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm

The only thing that disappoints me so far is based on the leg connection point on the torso in Podcast's packaging is offcenter, which makes that prototype looking like a limited-articulation statue all the more likely.

WTF, Hasbro!? I was super excited for that thing, but not if I can't frickin move it.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:45 am

GuruAskew wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm
I have such a bad feeling about this movie.

So we’re about to get a Junior Ghostbusters movie with the actual Ghostbusters making a cameo appearance. And it’s not a comedy. And they’ve given an obviously-asexual character a family when he only [email protected]#$ a jar of slime in the original movies in the name of science, just because the actor died and the wanted to pay some kind of sentimental tribute to him in the movie in spite of the fact that it’s all so out-of-character.

I'm wondering when this film takes place. It seems out of character for Egon to have had a daughter prior to him 'sleeping with slime' in 1989 :lol:

And his daughter is presumably near 40ish at this point, to have teenager children.. one of which is at least driving age.

I would have preferred if the Carrie Coon character was adopted, but they're clearly pushing the idea they're genetically-related.. with the nerdy grandkid doing an girl Egon impression.

As far as this film goes, I predict it will have a good RT score, and a lot of goodwill from fans.. but it will underperform below Sony's expectations, and the GB franchise will be in limbo again.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:58 am

As far as Egon goes with Ramis being dead, I’d love for his “ghost/spirit” to give a final assist to his brothers in the big climax scene using some kind of that face capture tech.

I’m sure they’ll do something less cool and cheap and have Egon’s spirit possess Paul Rudd’s character instead.

I always wanted Sony to do a real terrifying horror version of Ghostbusters.Something with 95% terror and 5% comedy would be great.
KvHulk
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:56 pm

GB never needed a sequel no less a third film set decades later.
If I had a wish it would be for a sequel to be made when all the original cast were alive and relevant.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:21 am

I’m going to buy the figures for double their price.

So there. Nyah!

Thwipp!

spinc
Avengers Assemble

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:11 am

I have been waiting for GB3 pretty much all my life. I love the original Ghostbusters. I like GB2. I love the first two seasons of the cartoon. I never watched EGB, which one day I should. I loved the 2009 video game, plus the original sega genesis one. I love the concept of ghostbusting in general, with some creepy factors, but also some lighthearted fun. I love the characters.

So I remain hopeful that the film will be good. This new trailer gave me a lot of confidence on it. Plus, the son of the original director (an accomplished director on his own right) PLUS the original director are making this.

So if it's as good as GB2 I will be happy. If it's as good as some of the episodes of the cartoon I will be happy. If I watch the movie, and it leaves me satisfied, I will be happy.

Honestly, all I really want from the movie is to see the remaining OGB suit up and bust some ghosts. If the movie does gives me that, then whatever the rest of it is will probably be good enough. But if it manages to tell a compelling story, besides giving me the OGBs busting, then it will be awesome.

Who knows? Kid starring mystery movies are usually good enough, and with a good director, a good writer, and a good idea (which all seem to be in place for the movie) this could be the best ghostbusting thing since the original film.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:52 pm

So the BAF actually is pre-posed with almost no articulation. I was hoping they had showed off a early prototype of it. What the hell? There was a very small chance I was getting these, but now I'd say zero chance.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:20 pm

I love how one of the most common complaints about this trailer when compared to the first movie is "I thought Ghostbusters was supposed to be a comedy."

Is it? Is it really though? To me Ghostbusters is a unique beast unto itself. It's not a straight comedy. Yes it has laughs but all movies have laughs. The novelty of Ghostbusters was that it took a very ridiculous concept and it played it straight. The movie happened to be populated with some comedic actors so the comedy aspect was forever tied to them. But really, they played the movie straight and serious.

My first exposure to Ghostbusters was watching it as a 5-6 year old kid. The humor was lost on me. But I understood the story. It was one of my favorite movies...not because it was a "comedy" but because it was a fun story about a bunch of guys catching ghosts. It was only as I got older...and especially as I became an adult that I got more of the humor but even so, I've never seen the movie as a comedy.

The 2016 Ghostbusters movie tried to focus on the comedy aspect and clearly they missed the point entirely.

From the looks of this trailer, this movie will have some laughs in it. But laughs that a reflective of the characters. Ultimately this movie is telling a different type of story than the original which is nice for a change. Sometimes franchises run up against the limits of the built in premise and run out of stories to tell. Terminator for instance. They are stuck, they can't tell anything new. The original Ghostbusters movie was about starting your own business at it's core. Ghosbusting was just a device to tell that story. This movie seems to be about legacy. Discovering what came before you and growing into your own person...much like ANH. That's a perfectly acceptable story within the Ghostbusters universe because it's at least covering new ground that hasn't been covered before.

The worst thing a Ghostbusters movie could do is follow a new group of characters attempting to start their own business. Here's looking at you 2016 Ghostbusters.....
KvHulk
HULK SMASH!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Yes. Ghostbusters is/was a comedy. Debate over.
Is this real life?!
GuruAskew
CROM!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Ghostbusters is a comedy and that is a fact. If you believe Ghostbusters is not a comedy you are factually incorrect.

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Ghostbusters was a comedy. I won’t argue that. But that’s not the only genre where in case trace its roots. It’s not Stripes or Trading Places.

I think leaning into those secondary/adjacent genres is absolutely the right call. We’re watching other mega franchises do the same (MCU), and failing ones stagnate in their refusal to adept (Alien, Predator, Terminator).
GuruAskew
CROM!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:08 pm

It is 100% in the same genre as Stripes and Trading Places.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”