Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:Cell shaded Pink Range: accessories, no unmasked head---$30. Pink Ranger 2 pack: accessories, two unmasked heads, cat accessory----$40. I don't get the math, but I'm glad they didn't price it at $60.
Yeah I really don’t get this. Hasbro’s price is a few bucks cheaper. I was hoping that was going to be the more expensive option and GameStop would price it normally. They’re both exclusive to GameStop but the single figure gets an odd price increase while the other is normal price of a 2 pack. Can count me out on that foolishness. If it was normal price I would have bought immediately. I’ll just hope most people find it foolish as well and it sits around for a GameStop sale.
Fujishig
Customized

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 pm

JPC wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 pm
I don't think that should matter - shouldn't new media be allowed the chance to garner a fanbase with product? Or does it need to "earn" the right to be included in the "nice" line?

My opinion: a new series deserves a dedicated SKU/new line for store shelves - all Rangers and a villain. That would be six "unique" sculpts in one wave and I'd double-pack the leader and one of the others. And I'm talking Lightning Collection - I know there is the cheaper, smaller options.

Beast Morphers moved slowly, true, but that was the first wave when Hasbro was figuring out how to do it - and they over bet on new vs nostalgia. Now they know who is buying, they can recalibrate. And could they finally release Beast Morpher Yellow and Roxy? Perfect box set right there.
Heck, they can't even be bothered to put out the zords until the second season or whatever airs. That seems like a huge missed opportunity.

I can see them thinking that one of the reasons the Beast Morphers Lightning Collection didn't sell as well was competition with the same figures on the cheaper lines. And they certainly did peg warm. But weirdly even Bandai Japan does a similar thing with their Kamen Rider toys (RIP Super Sentai figuarts): the cheaper line gets figures right away and you have to wait a while for the Figuarts to come out.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 am

While the BM figures did peg warm, they did eventually sell at my Walmarts and Targets without going to clearance. I don't think I've ever seen LC figures on clearance at those stores period. Just Gamestop and online.

If they do make Dino Fury, hopefully they will have learned not to overpack them at least.
Kassle
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 am

Count me in as someone who wouldn't be supporting the line without the civilian heads. Its what makes these releases different for me - I also display with masks off.

As a Kat fan I'm very pleased. And really happy to almost be complete on Zeo (when Tanya gets announced). However, while I think Kat's ponytail head looks good in the promo pics the hair down sculpt seems...off. Maybe the hairline has been placed too low? Not sure.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 am

I do not like the cell shaded figure. I love the comics. And the artwork for them. But this feels like a meaningless cash grab. And all the weird colors and white lines everywhere kill my OCD. It's not symmetrical in any sense of the word. And no comic Kim head is a fail. No matter how much I love Kim, I can't justify the price.

I did preorder the Kat set. Need me some zeo team completed. But the heads look off, like has been said. And they mispainted the baton. Again. Rocky's was proper. Tommy's was not. Adam's was proper. Now Kat's is not. Just waiting for them to just not paint Tanya's at all. But I'd still buy it and paint it myself lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:34 am

Trunks3540 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 am
I do not like the cell shaded figure. I love the comics. And the artwork for them. But this feels like a meaningless cash grab.
IMO, "meaningless cash grab" sums up every cell shaded figure from every toy line ever. Off the top of my head, I know NECA and DC Collectibles have both done it on a number of occasions, whether on comic or video game based figures and it has never appealed to me. I mean, in a two dimensional comic, there is a light source drawn into a comic panel and it is fixed, it will never change. That dictates where your highlights and lowlights will go. On a three dimensional action figure, the light source always changes depending on where and how you pose your action figure. When the highlights and low lights are painted on it just plays havoc with my sense of aesthetic. I honestly don't even like looking at it for any extended period of time. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

I know toy companies are always trying to figure out how to get one more use out of any given buck, and more power to them, but this style of painting will always be a pass for me.
K_Steel
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 am

Apparently this was the most disappointing 'Fan First Friday' for PR thus far https://youtu.be/YDlKdkPtJbI?t=834

While I'd tend to agree and know these 'cashgrab' tactics are rather shameless, they tend to be necessary to keep these adult collector lines afloat. We don't want this line to go the way of Ghostbusters Plasma.

While the majority of these releases today (cell-shaded Pink, the lazy Kat two-pack, the WTF Pink Morpher) are rather uninspired, they are exclusives that adult collectors will indeed buy for the marked up prices. I definitely won't be, but there are enough that will.

This will allow Hasbro to keep the line viable and hopefully gets em closer to releasing Quantum Ranger and other fan favorites down the line.
Yarlick
Avengers Assemble

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:52 am

I’m going to buy the 2 pack.
Even though I think I have no need for a second MMPR Ranger. Perhaps they fixed the colors....
fletch137
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:55 pm

It's worth keeping in mind that exclusive figures, like Goldar, Zeo Gold, and Galaxy Red, see main wave releases later on. I'm assuming anybody not wanting to buy into this 2-pack can hold out for a solo Zeo Pink release in the next year or so. Meanwhile, I have my Gamestop pre-order in while I decide if I'm the kind of person that can wait for the solo release...
Misfit wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:32 pm
So I need to buy 5 of those cel-shaded pink rangers if I want five collapsed blade blasters for my existing MMPR team? Good to know.
How there isn't already an Etsy store selling these (and collapsed Zeo baton/swords) is beyond me.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Yarlick wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:52 am
I’m going to buy the 2 pack.
Even though I think I have no need for a second MMPR Ranger. Perhaps they fixed the colors....
Based on the figures they were holding up in the video, it looks like MMPR Pink is still a mess. On one hand, it’s annoying and ridiculous that Hasbro can’t get something as basic as color matching figured out, but on the other at least I don’t feel the need to buy a two-pack I don’t want just to get a better pink ranger.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Shapeways has molds for all of them. They come in packs of 3 and 3 or 6 for the MMPR blade blasters and. And I believe sets of 2 and 2 for the Zeo baton. But they also have the Zeo baton in the blaster mode as well. And the Lights of Orion Quasar Sabers. And they're not super expensive. Unfortunately, they are a little big. I bought a set of 6 closed blade blasters and a set of 3 closed and 3 with the blade out, and they are just slightly larger then the actual stock ones. So I haven't painted them yet (I got them before the Hasbro alt modes were released). Oh, and they only come in fine detail clear plastic. So you have to paint them yourself, and use really good paint cause it has a hard time sticking to that sort of plastic. It'll rub off easy, even after sanding and sealing. I can tell by the pics on the site the rest of the stuff scales slightly larger as well. But they have a lot of Lighting collection accessories. Like all the Zeo signature weapons. And the In Space combined weapon modes, where they add their sig weapons to their blaster and make a new more powerful blaster. I like the look of their Quasat Sabers, cause I think the Hasbro ones are a bit too small. But I think these went the other way and are still a little big. So I haven't gotten them yet.

All the asymmetrical lines and paint on the cell shaded stuff is what bothers me. It kills my OCD. And then the price hike for it to not have an unmasked head? But they'll add the 3 blaster modes that should come standard with every MMPR figure anyway? Not worth it to me. There are very few cell shaded figures I actually liked, and I can't think of any off the top of my head. And I have never bought one. I don't mind the look in certain games, like the DBZ games. But not in figure form. If this goes on clearance or for a deal of the day like the Goldar and Psycho Blue did for like $4 I may buy a bunch of them just for all the Blade Blaster modes and try and sell the figures without them super cheap. Like if I can get them for $4, Just buy like 10 of them and sell the figures sans Blade Blasters for the same $4. But that'd be about the same price I paid for the Shapeways versions anyway. Not sure who'd buy them, but, never know.

I truly doubt they'll fix the pink color either. It'll most likely be the same as the first Kim. I mean, they still haven't fixed it on Marvel Legends and those are more popular then these. I have a number of figures that suffer from different colors at the thigh cut. Pyro was so bad I just repainted the whole figure my own shade of yellow. Luckily this 2 pack isn't hiked. Its the same price as 2 retail non exclusives. At least on Gamestop.com. That's where I preorderd from. And free shipping on orders over $35. So I'm paying retail price and tax. Honestly I would've paid a little more had they charged it. But I'm glad they didn't. And I've never had a Gamestop preorder cancelled on me. So I'm hoping that doesn't change. I heard years ago exclusive Goldar was getting cancelled on people. But then he showed up in such quantities anyway he went on clearance. So I'm guessing these won't be super hard to get either if the preorder does get axed. I even preorderd the old Legacy Zeo Pink and Yellow exclusives years ago from them and had it fulfilled. Which, I think is a little funny(ironic funny), both Legacy and Lightning Zeo Pink figures were Gamestop excluisve.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

K_Steel
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:57 pm

fletch137 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:55 pm
It's worth keeping in mind that exclusive figures, like Goldar, Zeo Gold, and Galaxy Red, see main wave releases later on. I'm assuming anybody not wanting to buy into this 2-pack can hold out for a solo Zeo Pink release in the next year or so. Meanwhile, I have my Gamestop pre-order in while I decide if I'm the kind of person that can wait for the solo release...
Not always.

I suspect going the 'exclusive' 2pack route with Kat is probably a business decision, so that the hardcore collectors/completionists will get the figure, and it doesn't pegwarm as a mass retail release. Bundling Zeo1 with MMPR Pink is definitely a cashgrab, but that's par for the course at this point.
Misfit wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Based on the figures they were holding up in the video, it looks like MMPR Pink is still a mess. On one hand, it’s annoying and ridiculous that Hasbro can’t get something as basic as color matching figured out, but on the other at least I don’t feel the need to buy a two-pack I don’t want just to get a better pink ranger.
That's good. Save your money for something better. It looks like there's a big Power Rangers in Space 2-pack coming 'Lava VS Equinox' that may be worth it.

There's no point buying every item in the LC out of obligation.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Ecliptor as a 2-pack with purple hair astromeda!!
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:19 pm

I like that they atleast gave Astronema new hair and did something different with the outfit.
K_Steel
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 pm

That's hilarious. I just mentioned "Lava Equinox" and the Photos showed up.

Astronema/Ecliptor look great! I never bothered with the blue hair version, Purple looks like an improvement.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”