Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:14 pm

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm
There are teams I want that haven't been introduced in this line that I can wait for, but at the same time once they start a team I'd expect said team to at least be steadily added to. I'm not expecting a member a wave, but maybe one every two at the very least.

Like you look at Time Force Red and wonder where the hell the rest of his team is. If the rumored green with bike ends up true, that's still way too long a gap between members...
I agree with this. If they start a team there should be at least one member of that team per wave until that team is completed. The problem of course is that anytime they stray too far from MMPR the sales dip, so they keep going back to that well over and over and over again.

I wasn't suggesting that the teams from my favorite seasons deserve to be done already - just lamenting that they may never get done at the current pacing.
Child_of_the_90's
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 am

To he fair, we didn't see MMPR in wave 10 or 11 and wave 9 was a tenga.

But yeah, pretty much anything newer doesn't sell well to the masses. We may want them all, but the average Joe just knows MMPR.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:29 am

I don't think anyone can deny that. I know I certainly don't.

The annoying thing about it is that you have plenty who see that and twist it into "MMPR sells cause it's the only one that's popular/worth caring about anyway". I have a friend who was part of a collector's group on Facebook dedicated to Lightning Collection and that was the mindset of about 90% of the members. He had to leave because it got so tiresome to deal with.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:43 am

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:29 am
I don't think anyone can deny that. I know I certainly don't.

The annoying thing about it is that you have plenty who see that and twist it into "MMPR sells cause it's the only one that's popular/worth caring about anyway". I have a friend who was part of a collector's group on Facebook dedicated to Lightning Collection and that was the mindset of about 90% of the members. He had to leave because it got so tiresome to deal with.
I'm the oldest in many friend and work groups and those "kids" are all about any version from Space onward. When I showed off my metallics and Zeo to a friend who goes all in with cosplay and prop making for the shows, he said "Oh, yeah you'd want those ones given your age."

...thanks.
Yarlick
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 am

As weird as it sounds, I’m from the 90’s crowd and….I wanted the MMRP, didn’t care much about Zeo except for the Gold, Green and Red Ranger.
In Space I got Red and Astronema, Galaxy I got Red, I don’t care about Turbo at all.
I would like Red Lightning Rescue.
Pink Time Force and the Quantum Ranger (to pair it up with red)
I would also grab Green Time Force as this was a figure I had a long time ago, but after these ones….
I would think The Wild Force and Dino Thunder Rangers would be right up my alley, but aside from DT Black, Red and White, I don’t care about the others.

About DT white, is the one that we can find at retail actually has the same problem as the original one ( the visor being inaccurate as heck)

Aside from these, yup, most of what I want are MMPR related…since they didn’t bother finishing the Beast Morphers cast…..
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:48 pm

Is Hasbro still replacing the DT White heads?
Child_of_the_90's
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:25 pm

I think what we need is something to make the line more interesting, for me anyway.

There are only so many times I can get hyped for the same hide mold in a new color with a new head. Wave one had 4 unique figures and I thought we would see more like that. We are still getting the unique sculpts, but mostly as exclusives or 2 packs. The main wave is basically just team filler.

Then again, maybe that's OK. Maybe that us just what this line has morphed into naturally (no pun intended). We are still getting the unique sculpts so it's not like we are missing out on figures.

I just feel like Hasbro hooked me with wave one and switched gears on me. LC was my first Hasbro line, which then got me into Legends and then Plasma Series and a little Black Series. So I didn't really know that I should expect the same body reused many times over when I started.

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:48 pm

It seems like a lot of fandoms that first begin with an adolescent audience has that one version that just dwarfs the others in popularity. And I think that's partly due to kids bouncing off of things relatively quickly so you get franchises like MMPR, TMNT, etc. which burn hot for a couple of years before cooling off as they step aside for whatever's next. And MMPR being a live-action show, I do think it probably lost some of its audience every time there was a major shake-up. I know I personally drifted away not that long after most of the cast was replaced. It seems like we're past the point with the franchise that any other iteration could overtake MMPR, but I guess never say never. And in the toy collecting community, age plays a pretty big role in what gets made because as the years have gone on action figures have become less popular with kids. I'm in my late 30s and most of my friends were into figures when I was a kid up until around age 10 or so and then video games started to dominate. We're in a bit of a renaissance right now, but for a little while in the 2000s, it seemed action figures weren't as prevalent at the toy store. And now I have kids and I see what they and their friends like and my son just doesn't care about action figures that much and his friends are more interested in games and cards. Barbie is still going strong though, and dolls in general, with my daughter and her peers. It will just be interesting to see how the demographics evolve the older we get. Right now, I feel like most of the collectors I meet are in their 30s, but I hope we keep adding younger people otherwise eventually it will become even more niche.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 am

That's true.

It's fun at toy shows meeting older vendors and collectors and seeing what attracts them and how even the modern stuff I'm there for is just "Eh" to them.

We all throw different things on pedestals for different reasons.

With Rangers specifically, I had seen some Space in college, but it wasn't a mainstay for me. Sitting down with it years later, I appreciate Astronema's arc, the Psycho Rangers, and other aspects on a more Comic Fan Level of digging the ideas and characters than just watching a kid's show, if that makes sense. And that had me explore other teams friends recommended based on what I liked.

Some shows were closer to MMPR's formula than others, and I admit that makes the difference for me.
BobSkull
Customized

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 pm

I had pretty much checked out on power rangers after zeo plus i was in that grey area of "too old for this maybe but not necessarily too old etc..." and turbo gave me no desire to stick around. deff remember catching episodes on weekend mornings in high school and college pretty much had little to no engagement. that being said after college i went back and rewatched a lot of the seasons i had either seen very little or none at all of and found'em pretty enjoyable. MMPR can't be ignored as it was what started the franchise but considering that they started adapting the sentai seasons costumes and all (some to good and some not so good effect) instead of shoehorning the original costumes into other series footage shows that power rangers is more than just MMPR.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:46 am

$11 Andros and Astronema set at a near by Target, but it's going to be daddy duty, sleep, and work for the next 20 hours. I doubt it will last.
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:47 am

Is there anyone with Morphed Shredder in stock yet?
Samurai8472
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:06 am

Much like the Marvel Legends the Lightning collection prices are going up

Child_of_the_90's
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am

This is going to start being a cherry pick line for me. Luckily zeo, MMPR, and In Space are already complete. The prices are getting out of control and we aren't getting better products for the prices.

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:43 am

Quality justifies the price less the higher the price climbs so now I'm only in this for reds, sixths, antagonists and certain teams I'd like to have complete. And even then right now it's only Beast Morphers, Dino Thunder, RPM, Dino Fury and Jungle Fury.

I can personally justify the price jump with something like Marvel Legends since the quality per figure's pretty on-par. Pinless, good face printing, good paint, etc. Lightning Collection, on the other hand...

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”