Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:46 pm

Yeah that was a weird take. Someone dying is not reason to not make a figure.

Someone doing something illegal or shady, often is.
Garlador
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 pm

Misfit wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:48 pm
I don’t see how Thuy Trang’s passing in a car accident is at all relatable to murderers and thieves. That’s just her estate saying “ok” to her likeness use and welcoming whatever financial windfall is earned from it. Hasbro’s reputation isn’t at risk in making her figure, while some of the others could create some negative press. Regardless, it would seem the easy thing to do with a problematic actor is to just not include an unmasked head. Then they don’t owe that actor anything and he’s not really being celebrated in any way and fans at least get the ranger in figure form.
It's not entirely an equivalent situation, I agree. There are some out there that feel making a profit from the deceased is in poor form. I'm think it's more a case by case situation.

My understanding, however, is that her estate didn't have to "okay" her likeness. All Power Rangers actors signed contracts permitting the usage of their likeness without additional royalties or revenue in perpetuity, likely with a one-time payment for that right. That's standard for many actor contracts, with a few exceptions. I forget which Marvel actor mentioned they don't see a cent from any toy sales with their face, nor do they have the ability to approve the face on the toy (I think it was Paul Rudd, laughing about how they gave him a smirk and a weird hairline).

Only a select few actors have signed contracts where they get any major profits from the merchandise. Jack Nicholson famously got nearly $90 million from Batman 1989 merchandise, and as a result many companies quickly put terms and restrictions in there to ensure they don't have to pay out every time they sell a toy with a famous face on it.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:56 pm

Misfit wrote:
Garlador wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Yes, there are some "problematic" real-life issues with some of the actors (Wild Force Red killing his roommate, Ninja Storm Red being an abuser and committing suicide, Overdrive Black allegedly stealing from charity, etc.), but I think Hasbro would still make those figures, as there is a clear separation of actor and role. Thuy Trang's tragic passing hasn't stopped anyone there from profiting off her likeness. That's just how business works; supply and demand.

Hasbro has put out over 115 figures in the span of 3 years. So long as the line sells, I think we can expect more teams to be represented in the future.
I don’t see how Thuy Trang’s passing in a car accident is at all relatable to murderers and thieves. That’s just her estate saying “ok” to her likeness use and welcoming whatever financial windfall is earned from it. Hasbro’s reputation isn’t at risk in making her figure, while some of the others could create some negative press. Regardless, it would seem the easy thing to do with a problematic actor is to just not include an unmasked head. Then they don’t owe that actor anything and he’s not really being celebrated in any way and fans at least get the ranger in figure form.
I would rather them do the unhelmeted head anyway. Just because that's how I display them. I even did a custom head for Omega that looks similar (imo) to his head at the end of the series. The only one I don't have one for is Magna Defender, which never actually took his helmet off. I would be ok with a somewhat generic looking head that is close, especially since both Zack and Rocky have heads that are not really spot on. But I have the ability to separate artist from art, for the majority of situations. I can also see why some people can't. I think one reason they may have done Wild Force Red in that deluxe set is so they can pack a head in and just kinda hide it from view, or make it an exclusive that won't be seen on shelves. Maybe Amazon or Pulse. And honestly, if it doesn't have an unhelmeted head, I may skip it entirety, or find one that's similar myself like I did for Omega. But for Ninja Storm Red, I would absolutely need an unhelmeted head, considering that's one of my fave teams. And I would want to display them without the helmets like I do the rest.

I just want to point out, that alot of actors, big and small, do some pretty shitty things. No ones perfect. Some more then others. And we don't hear about most of it. Toby McGuire is one of the biggest pieces of shit roming this planet, but people still want new versions of his Spiderman figure, with unmasked heads. RDJ used to be a terrible human being. We don't even know the full extent I think. But people gave him a second chance, and now he's one of the top paid actors in Hollywood, and I don't hear anyone bitching about him being an Iron Man figure. He did his time, and paid his dues, and people are ok with him now. Same could be said for Wild Force Red. He paid for his accidental mistake, and we should give him a second chance. Ninja Storm Red had a mental illness that caused him to do some alleged things, and he felt so horrible for whatever he did, he killed himself. I think he paid the ultimate price for his sins. Cara Dunes actress said some... questionable things. And people still bought up her figure like hotcakes. And now that Disney forced Hasbro to discontinue her figures, they are some of the most expensive of the recent releases on the aftermarket. Which btw, wasn't Hasbro's decision. I bet they would still sell it if Disney hadn't told them otherwise. And people are still ok with having her on the shelves and buying the extremely overpriced ones on ebay. Some people on the Marvel board were even commenting on how Red Skull didn't come with a Swaztica on his arm band, and may customize it, for no other reason then comic accuracy. They claimed to be anti racist. But they would still be ok with having that symbol represented on their figure. I think personally that's where I would draw the line. But theres a big different between someone who accidentally killed someone in self defense and a symbol embodying genocidal racism, imo. But some people are apparently ok with that. So I think Hasbro should leave the choice to us. Put the heads in the box, whether they be accurate or generic, and if you don't like it, pitch it. Don't use it. Or don't even buy it. But personally, I would want the chance to choose, instead of having that decision forced on me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 pm

I obviously don’t know what the contract situation is like for the actors here. Photo realistic toys weren’t really a thing in the early 90s, so it’s possible they had to be approached at some point in the last 10-15 years to get them. I only know that Randy Falk at NECA has reiterated they need to do deals with actors for a lot of their figures, so my assumption is the deals actors from some of their stuff weren’t strong enough to cover this kind of thing 30+ years later in most cases. Then again, the actors on Power Rangers were rather famously taken advantage of, exploited, what have you so it wouldn’t shock me if their deals with Saban back in 93 were pretty ironclad. I do assume though that with a likeness like Trang that Hasbro at least approached the family first because that would lead to some bad PR if the family of a dead actor was angered that someone was profiting off of her.

With the other actors, all I’d say is “don’t hold your breath” if you want their likeness. Hasbro won’t even touch hooded Cobra Commander so I doubt they want to be associated with actual criminals. They probably figure it won’t affect them much to skip them or exclude the likeness. There’s always a vocal minority that acts enraged whenever a company makes such a call, but they’re usually just that, a minority. Hasbro is just bummed they couldn’t get to a figure before the controversy. Cara Dune figures were clogging the pegs until she got herself canned, then speculators snatched them up.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:50 am

I don't ever remember her clogging any pegs. I never even saw either of the 3 3/4 figures. And her black series figure had to be released a second time to keep up with demand. I didn't get mine until the 2nd release came out shortly before they were not allowed to sell her anymore.

And I'm not saying the likeness has to be spot on if Hasbro does the unhelmeted heads. But a generic "close enough" like they did with other figures in the past would be fine for these particular cases. But I'd rather have that then nothing. It would look pretty stupid to have Wild Force Red or Ninja Storm Red being the only figures in a set to be wearing helmets when the rest aren't. And I know from posts on here I'm not alone. Alot of people are in on this line just because they give us the unhelmeted heads as well. I was even disappointed in no unhelmeted heads for the psychos, even though they were shown in the show for an episode or 2 and the comic dealing with them as well without helmets. I don't wanna have to pay another $20+ just to get a head that should've come with the figure anyway, from a 3rd party. So I probably won't get them if they don't have the extra heads, unless I can find an alternative head for cheap.

*edit* I also wanna point out that these actors are from New Zealand, from shows over a decade ago. And alot of people that aren't die hard Ranger fans probably wouldn't know the story behind these actors. Gina Carano is an American actress from a very popular and recent show. And her firing was extremely public. The Power Ranger actors only have a couple small articles you have to dig for. And most people also probably wouldn't recognize their real names, whereas Gina was starting to break out a bit and become popular. I doubt 75% of the people who would buy these figures knows anything happened with the actual actors. The number for all the American actors I mentioned above is probably much higher. So I doubt Hasbro would get much flack for releasing their actual likenesses, let alone generic "close enough" heads, especially if they were still willing to sell Cara Dune if Disney would let them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:07 am

Trunks3540 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:50 am
I don't ever remember her clogging any pegs. I never even saw either of the 3 3/4 figures. And her black series figure had to be released a second time to keep up with demand. I didn't get mine until the 2nd release came out shortly before they were not allowed to sell her anymore.
Really? She’s all I ever saw. At least the Black Series one. And I go to Target pretty frequently due to working from home and having one 10 minutes from my house. Most of TVC stuff sells out in a reasonable amount of time and I honestly can’t recall if I saw that particular one. I also wouldn’t have been looking either. Black Series is a little hard to miss since they’d have endcaps at my store dedicated to it with usually only Dune remaining. That is, until Jar Jar arrived…
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am

Misfit wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 pm
Cara Dune figures were clogging the pegs
Must have been nice, I lucked out and got her on a Dorkside restock right before the shyt hit the fan.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 am

Neil Magnum wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 pm
I'm putting an alarm to remind me to check their site before 11am to see if they'll do another In Stock sale for Zhane Silver Space Ranger.
I'm mad that I keep missing him.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm

I wonder if a way to make Kim right is pair her with Rita. Then Rita can have the correct dress detailing and a younger face, and Kim could get a shot at a better sculpt and the possessed sculpt.

I don't know. Since I jumped in late, I'm happy with my metallic roster and completed Zeo, but I'd love to get the normal suits and second shots at Trini, Kim, Jason, and Zack heads since they've improved.

I like that Aisha and Kat managed to cover different seasons with the hair.
Yo.
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pm

I didn't find a PR model kits thread so I'm posting this here if people are interested.

The SMP Gao Hunter is back for preorder on AmiAmi.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GOODS-04163122

Final product pictures.

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:26 pm

So In Space Silver did go back in-stock on Pulse today!

...But only for premium members to start and once again the stock didn't even last long enough for any chance of general availability before selling out again.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:15 pm

So what I'm gathering from the last two pages of discussion is that I'll probably be waiting a long time for figures from some of my most wanted seasons:

Jungle Fury
Ninja Storm
Mystic Force
Samurai/Super Samurai

At least there's a chance I'll complete my beloved SPD team eventually.
Child_of_the_90's
Avengers Assemble

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:42 am

PantherCult wrote:So what I'm gathering from the last two pages of discussion is that I'll probably be waiting a long time for figures from some of my most wanted seasons:

Jungle Fury
Ninja Storm
Mystic Force
Samurai/Super Samurai

At least there's a chance I'll complete my beloved SPD team eventually.
This is the problem with an anthology line like Lightning Collection. With Marvel Legends you have many unique stand-alone characters that are also part of various teams. You can wait to finish off teams since the characters also work solo or can cross over into other teams.

Power Rangers are uniform across the team and teams don't mingle across seasons. With the exception of "Once a Ranger", you don't see Rangers from various teams creating a new team. This means fans want whole teams at a time. PR fans are not willing to wait years to get that last team member they are missing.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 am

Example doesn't work for me. I'm not willing to wait years to complete my Marvel teams of choice, either, but here we are. I've waited decades for some rosters, a lifetime for others that have yet to even come close.

Rangers has done pretty well for a two year old line that launched during the apocalypse

Hell, when the line was announced I was content to get MMPRs 05, and I must have been nice to someone somewhere, because they've given me more versions of my favourite Ranger, Kat, before an Outback Rogue or Psylocke. That's wild to me.

Sure, I want Ninja Storm and RPM, but I feel like I'll have a chance at those before I complete Agents of Atlas or the 90s New Warriors.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:24 pm

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:So In Space Silver did go back in-stock on Pulse today!

...But only for premium members to start and once again the stock didn't even last long enough for any chance of general availability before selling out again.
I'm a Premium member, but I was working & missed out anyways.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”