Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
sephiroth61787
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Power Rangers Lightning Collection General Discussion

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Misfit wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 pm
I'm a casual fan who never watched anything post MMPR and I could not care less if they did a reunion. I don't know if I'd ever hear about it since I currently have no idea where new episodes of Power Rangers are even broadcast. Moving away from Sentai struck me as a new beginning for the property, which after being immensely popular in the early 90s, seems to have gradually become a niche franchise. I have two young kids that had a Power Rangers phase that lasted about a minute last summer. They watched various incarnations of the show on Netflix for a bit and then moved on. Unlike a lot of stuff they latched onto, left, and came back to eventually, they've never come back to Power Rangers and it's no longer on their radar. None of their friends/classmates seem interested, which makes me think it's largely adults keeping the franchise alive. If Hasbro's smart, they'll try to make new fans and figure out what works to attract that audience and do it in a manner that hopefully doesn't alienate the current diehards still watching. Whatever they choose to do, they certainly need to figure out a way to market the brand and create a buzz because that's currently not something they're doing a good job of.
That's the key right there. The current marketing strategy isn't great. As with Saban before them, they seem to be doubling-down on the cheesy nature of it all instead of marketing it as the best possible live-action superhero show. I don't think switching to an animated format is going to do them any favors. It will most likely lose its charm if it goes in that direction.

What I fondly remember watching MMPR all those years ago is that I was enthralled with the live-action sueprheroics and transforming robots. There was nothing like it on TV at the time and that's what made it captivating. TV has changed since then (especially now that you have teenager or adult-focused superhero shows), but I think there's still room to make PR badass. For all audiences.

We'll see what happens.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 am

I love the comics. The story is fantastic and it is more adult centered but not so much that kids can't read it. I would honestly prefer the Hasbro shows go that route. But they would probably need permission from BOOM. I would also hope they get as many of the OG actors as possible to voice the characters if animated. But they would all be too old now to do the live action version. Except JDF, and only cause he could play Drakkon. They would need a new actor for a younger version. And then dipping into the multiverse could make it extremely interesting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Doesn't Hasbro own Power Rangers outright? If so, I would think they can do whatever they want with the BOOM stories as their agreement likely just entitles them to royalties for the content they produce with Hasbro actually owning it. The only gray area in those deals sometimes revolves around original characters, similar to how when Nintendo contracted Squaresoft to make a Super Mario RPG. Square retained ownership of characters like Mallow and Geno so they rarely show up in other Nintendo products. That's a whole other industry though and the comics industry is not exactly known for being creator-friendly when it comes to this sort of thing (one need only look to the payments Marvel writers receive for the billion-dollar films based on their work).
Garlador
HULK SMASH!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 am

sephiroth61787 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 pm
Misfit wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 pm
I'm a casual fan who never watched anything post MMPR and I could not care less if they did a reunion. I don't know if I'd ever hear about it since I currently have no idea where new episodes of Power Rangers are even broadcast. Moving away from Sentai struck me as a new beginning for the property, which after being immensely popular in the early 90s, seems to have gradually become a niche franchise. I have two young kids that had a Power Rangers phase that lasted about a minute last summer. They watched various incarnations of the show on Netflix for a bit and then moved on. Unlike a lot of stuff they latched onto, left, and came back to eventually, they've never come back to Power Rangers and it's no longer on their radar. None of their friends/classmates seem interested, which makes me think it's largely adults keeping the franchise alive. If Hasbro's smart, they'll try to make new fans and figure out what works to attract that audience and do it in a manner that hopefully doesn't alienate the current diehards still watching. Whatever they choose to do, they certainly need to figure out a way to market the brand and create a buzz because that's currently not something they're doing a good job of.
That's the key right there. The current marketing strategy isn't great. As with Saban before them, they seem to be doubling-down on the cheesy nature of it all instead of marketing it as the best possible live-action superhero show. I don't think switching to an animated format is going to do them any favors. It will most likely lose its charm if it goes in that direction.

What I fondly remember watching MMPR all those years ago is that I was enthralled with the live-action sueprheroics and transforming robots. There was nothing like it on TV at the time and that's what made it captivating. TV has changed since then (especially now that you have teenager or adult-focused superhero shows), but I think there's still room to make PR badass. For all audiences.

We'll see what happens.
This is a much larger conversation - and it's starting to veer a bit away from the Lightning Collection itself - but I've always believed Power Rangers had room to be both serious and at times goofy. Some seasons are goofier than others (Ninja Storm is basically a comedy series) while others are far more grounded (I was pleasantly surprised at how straight seasons like Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and RPM are most of the time).

There's a way to make the series both have stakes, appeal to all ages, and even make humor work, all without talking down to the audience or using "it's for kids" as a shield. Some of the darkest shows I've seen are "for kids" but they treat the subject matter with sophistication and maturity. I grew up with stuff like Batman the Animated Series on the same Saturday morning block as Power Rangers, after all.

ANYWAY... back on topic...

So Battle for the Grid Season 4 just got announced, and seeing Ninja Ranger Adam making the cut has me exceedingly hyped to get his upcoming Ninja Ranger figure. I still love that they're giving us three head options. We have a Rita LC figure as well. That leaves Poisandra as the odd girl out. She'd be a fun addition, if they get around to her.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 am

Misfit wrote:Doesn't Hasbro own Power Rangers outright? If so, I would think they can do whatever they want with the BOOM stories as their agreement likely just entitles them to royalties for the content they produce with Hasbro actually owning it. The only gray area in those deals sometimes revolves around original characters, similar to how when Nintendo contracted Squaresoft to make a Super Mario RPG. Square retained ownership of characters like Mallow and Geno so they rarely show up in other Nintendo products. That's a whole other industry though and the comics industry is not exactly known for being creator-friendly when it comes to this sort of thing (one need only look to the payments Marvel writers receive for the billion-dollar films based on their work).
That's a good point. I'm not sure how that would work then honestly. But I'm pretty sure the BOOM deal was made long before Hasbro bought the property. So who knows how they worked things out when it changed hands from bandai. I would think, even if it's not alot, the writers from the comics would get something if they were adapted to anime or live action. But we will probably never know. Whatever the case, I would love to see it happen.

ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Anyone know why the UK got the Cogs so much earlier?

Not that I care (can't afford that pre-order to come home right now anyway) but it seems Hasbro always planned to give them to the UK sooner. Is it quicker to drop a container into the UK than to the US?

Just thought it was odd in general.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 pm

ODBJBG wrote:

Not that I care (can't afford that pre-order to come home right now anyway) but it seems Hasbro always planned to give them to the UK sooner. Is it quicker to drop a container into the UK than to the US?

I wonder if the whole shipping backlog is more of just a US thing?
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am

Slixta wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 pm
ODBJBG wrote:

I wonder if the whole shipping backlog is more of just a US thing?
Pretty sure that CNN article that was making the rounds a week or two ago specifically called out delays for Europe as well. It’s possible Hasbro booked air transportation for the UK since it’s likely a lot cheaper than the same for the US.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm

Cogs look like they will be shipping soon. Just got an email from Pulse. I think I have 4 sets coming. No shipment notice yet, just a warning it is shipping soon.

Nice to finally have something ship, or at least prepare to ship.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 am

Got the same email. I'm just worried that everything that's getting pushed back, will all fall on top of each other, and I'll get crushed.
...also, anyone want to buy some MOTUC figures?
Yo.
Avengers Assemble

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Child_of_the_90's wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm
Cogs look like they will be shipping soon. Just got an email from Pulse. I think I have 4 sets coming. No shipment notice yet, just a warning it is shipping soon.

Nice to finally have something ship, or at least prepare to ship.

Can you order more than 2 sets from the same account?

I have 2 on preorder & I was thinking of picking more for army building but I'm worried the 2nd order will be canceled.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 pm

At the time I was able to. Apparently they updated their system that now enforces the limit. Previously, the per customer limit was actually a per order limit. Try it. If it goes through, it goes through.

Seems silly to limit it to 2 per customer. Its an army builder pack.

Yo.
Avengers Assemble

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 am

Thanks, I gave it a try & the limit restrictions is applied unfortunately.

I not sure about the likelihood of single releases but since they have the mold & it's unique to the Cogs it makes sense to offer them again in the future.

I didn't think I needed more until I saw Dan Who's review, I love the way their heads turned out from the gold color to those deep black eyes.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:12 pm

The limit 2 per person is probably site wide. It doesn't differentiate between which figures or items it is. It makes it easier on their system I believe, instead of checking each individual figure for whether it's an army builder or whatever. It may also just be on anything labelled as exclusive. Which is also easier to code then each individual figure. But as I haven't tried to order stuff I can get elsewhere, I can't say for certain.

Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 pm

I'm just glad the restriction wasn't in place when I first ordered. 4 of each should be enough for me. Need a couple with the head open in each color, holding weapons, etc.

It's a catch 22. The limit keeps xclusives from being bought out and scalped, but it also limits one's army building potential. And I have seen some collectors go crazy with army building.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”