Ghostbusters: Everything else

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
MutantFormerly KnownAsJoe
Will find his toys...after you do
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Ghostbusters: Everything else

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Photos of the Hot Wheels Elite deluxe Ecto-1 with figures.

http://www.lacitedesnuages.be/boutique_ ... u5pHa6xiYp

It all looks really good, honestly. The sculpts of the little figures look great, despite the fact that they're obviously not true 1:18th scale with the vehicle, they're stuck in the squatting pose, and lack articulation. But they are NOT $300 worth of cool. Seriously. Mattel is on some serious drugs.
SWH
Shocker Stalker

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Considering I got my Elite Ecto-1 for under $100 Australian, there is no way I would have gone for this option as an alternative for over $200 more.

It's a great car, the figures look like decent sculpts... But at that price? No.
GoldBlade6
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 am

YES!!! Now I can have Ghostbusters that can easily cower in front of an Ecto-1!!!

Give up the license, Mattel, and apologize.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Hahahaha. Agreed.

ALTHOUGH, on a plus note, I FINALLY scored the 12" Peter and Winston set from Big Lots! Worth EVERY penny! Total, all 4 12" figures wound up costing me under $60, and these are a steal all day long at at that kinda money!
anti-hero
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Is there a more detailed hot wheels scale Ecto than the one they released a couple years ago?

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:12 am

The 1:64 version on the card? Johnny Lightning did a 1:64 scale Ecto 1-A back in the late 90's/early 2000s with was actually really detailed, better paint apps, rubber tires and all. Also, hotwheels did one slightly larger ...1:43 maybe? Popped up at K-mart, had Slimer on the package, and that was slightly more detailed too! I basically just repainted my regular hotwheels one to go with my JL 1A!
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

So are we putting money down on a proton pack being at SDCC? It's the last prop I imagine they will make, but I'm not sure the throwers sold as well as they hoped (based on them still being available).
SWH
Shocker Stalker

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

I hope so! They'll get my money if they do. It'd be a great way to really finish the set.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I've been building packs with my brother, slowly since last August. But depending on price, I'd still buy one to go with the Matty wand, and in case any friends want to be in the group without having to build a full pack.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 pm

So it looks like the props are probably done. I can't imagine them taking a year break and then coming back next year for the pack. The iron was still hot from the consistency of previous years.
Psychography
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:35 pm

So, the all-female Ghostbusters reboot is officially a go. Matty hung onto the license this whole time, and now the movie doesn't target the "action figure" demographic. Will they make a line of female action figures targeted at boys (everyone's short-packed!), will they make a Melissa McCarthy Ghostbuster Barbie, or will they just sit on the license?

This should be interesting.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:17 pm

I doubt it will be all female when it's said and done. But regardless, I can't see the movie masters figures in stores. It doesn't seem like it's heading in a direction that would warrant children's toys, an the fanbase seems pretty heavily divided on an all-female cast. I won't believe there's a third movie until it opens, because I'm pretty sure they've been talking about one since 1990.

Funny Matty held on for so long for a line that either won't happen or will require a ton of new tooling.
Psychography
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 am

september_death wrote:Funny Matty held on for so long for a line that either won't happen or will require a ton of new tooling.
I dunno... Mattel's business model's worked so far...

featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:39 pm

They could pull and Kenner and mix and match pieces across lines:
JediJones
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 pm

It's amazing that Sony threw out the merchandising potential for the movie with this stupid new high concept. Licensors are not going to want to sign on for the unproven concept of taking a male-dominated adventure movie and rebooting and recasting it with women. And it's a huge hurdle to ask them to make a "fat chick" action figure or doll or even put her on a lunchbox. Even Yarna d'al' Gargan was a huge pegwarmer and fans were asking for her. With the filmmakers' mindset they may not even design costumes that are good-looking and marketable.

Granted, the original movie wasn't very merchandiseable at the time either, so it got tooned up for that purpose later, until the modern era of adult action figure collectors found the movie's designs preferable. Any new movie that mixed the old cast and new cast in the same canon could've helped merchandise both the old movies and new at the same time. Now the old stuff will have to be pushed aside almost like post-Return of the Jedi EU stuff is being pushed aside.

I'm torn on the movie itself since I think two of the women in it are great comediennes. But rebooting and throwing out the old canon is extremely insulting to every existing fan, no less so than if Disney rebooted Star Wars with a new "A New Hope." And it turns a marketing sure thing into a more likely pass for most licensors.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”