Mattel WWE Elite Discussion Thread

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Johnas
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Mattel WWE Elite Discussion Thread

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:22 pm

Between the Dark Side of the Ring fallout and some of the stuff Flair's said on his podcast lately, I'd say it's more likely that Tony Elite pays me to pop up at Winter is Coming.

Am I the only sucker that preordered the Ringside-exclusive Undertaker with the WCW tag title and weird rubber singlet?
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:24 pm

You might be. He looks super fat with that rubber overlay.

But its a RS exclusive so it'll be triple value in a couple years.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:42 pm

This is fun: here's a video of Tommaso Ciampa unboxing his new Ringside exclusive figure. There's a lot of interesting stuff about his ring gear in there, if you're a fan of his.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:15 pm

Hey guys, I don't collecting this line, but I was a huge wrestling fan in the '80s and '90s, so I am thinking of jumping in. But I'm wondering, does Mattel use really cheap paint on these? Prices for used figures are obviously much better than new figures, but almost all the used figures I see have really bad paint on them. For example, this Rick Rude has paint rubbing off of his eyebrows and his mustache. I'm seeing a lot of used figures like that, is this common with this line?

The Ghost
CROM!

Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:44 pm

Probably been kid-used or maybe stored poorly. Plenty of old figures displayed by collector's are in good condition (been collecting Mattel WWE figs for the last year and a half, so have had plenty of second hand figures come along). But if played with or chucked into a tub with other figures, paint will wear.

My only advice is be prepared to not get a bunch of wrestlers that the aftermarket prices out of reach unless you're prepared to pay big. You'll need to also find your sweet spot for jumping on a figure. I've passed up stuff I've later regretted because it seemed pricey at the time but was actually the best price I've seen them at.

Personally, I'd stay away from basics (such as the above Rude) and go with Elites and Ultimates. They just display better. And do some research as some guys are "re-released" with new deco if Mattel can still do them, so you might get a better version if you get a more recent one with digital dace print (but be careful, especially with females, some of those digital face prints can be off centre and ruin the entire figure).

I've assembled a pretty decent collection despite being on the west coast of Australia (we have the worst stores for stocking even just regular WWE Elite figs, forget exclusives or Ultimates, so almost always have to find online). So it can be done!

Good luck mate!
vicious7171
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:25 pm

If you just want them for your personal collection, you can save quite a bit by buying these damaged figures and touching them up with your own paint. I'm guessing that particular Rick Rude took a suplex or two in his day. Damaged basics saturate the market, as they are cheaper and so they're often gifted to children. But that's not to say all figures are easily damaged; I see damaged figures all the time at used merch stores while my hundreds of ziplock'd and binned Elites all look brand new.

But I do agree with The Ghost: Elites are better. Here's a handy guide: https://www.toyhollywood.com/toys/wwe-elite.php. This isn't 100% up to date and is missing exclusives, but it's still pretty helpful for deciding what you want.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:36 am

Handsome wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:15 pm
Hey guys, I don't collecting this line, but I was a huge wrestling fan in the '80s and '90s, so I am thinking of jumping in. But I'm wondering, does Mattel use really cheap paint on these? Prices for used figures are obviously much better than new figures, but almost all the used figures I see have really bad paint on them. For example, this Rick Rude has paint rubbing off of his eyebrows and his mustache. I'm seeing a lot of used figures like that, is this common with this line?
Wrestling figures are made to be bashed against each other doing wrestling moves. Of ALL toy lines, they're the most likely to be beat up.

Heck even a ton of the "adult collectors" who buy these do pic feds and figure feds and things where they're still smashing them together.

I'm not a huge Mattel fan, but generally their WWE figures are pretty decent. But any figures will get paint scuffs and stuff if you piledrive them enough.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 am

The Ghost wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:44 pm
Personally, I'd stay away from basics (such as the above Rude) and go with Elites and Ultimates.

I realize the Elites are better. But for this Basic Rude, he's wearing the same tights as the Hasbro toy I had as a kid, and it's pulling my nostalgia strings

The Ghost
CROM!

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:36 pm

Handsome wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 am
I realize the Elites are better. But for this Basic Rude, he's wearing the same tights as the Hasbro toy I had as a kid, and it's pulling my nostalgia strings
Fair enough, do what makes you happy I say! :)
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:31 am

I'm the say way with the Basic Ultimate Warrior in green gear that's based on the Hasbro figure. I only had the wave 1 Warrior and Hogan from the Hasbro stuff when I was a kid. We just got that Elite "Hulk Rules" Hogan that is great so until that green Warrior gets an Elite, he stays. Still I've started sticking strictly with Elites and UE for the last few years. Just to save on money.

So this month has been pretty wrestler heavy for me so far but the wrestling figures gods have smiled upon me this day! I just got UE Kane and a decent priced Legends Brutus Beefcake I found on eBay in the mail. Figured better to grab the regular version Brutus now as he's one of my favorites, no telling if prices will skyrocket. My Kane luckily had the corrected right elbow. Score! Open the Brutus that mind you was supposed to be the regular version but I find a blue pants variant in my shipping box. NICE!

Purchases this month: UE 10 Cena, UE 10 Rock. UE 11 Kane, UE 11 Undertaker, RS WM12 Ultimate Warrior, E88 Riddle, E88 Reigns, CE Zelina Vega, E91 Hulk Hogan, Legends 10 Brutus Beefcake (variant), and Legends 12 JYD (regular).
Diddy310
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:01 pm

Picked up Legends Hurricane at Target

I prefer the earlier look and hairstyles - the short green tinted hair or the ponytail but this is a very good figure. A bit of an odd choice with the lower legs as he has short kickpad boots but the kickpads are painted up to the knees and he has very small kneepads. They did a great job lining up the designs on the sides of the tights considering it is cut into 3 places across the thigh cut/hips/waist

Cape is very well done with two different materials and very clean logos.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”