Indiana Jones 5 and the Quest for Merchandise

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Indiana Jones 5 and the Quest for Merchandise

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:06 am

Don't forget the 2008 Disney store exclusive 7 inch unposeable, awkward, gangly mess that looked like David Duchovny in clown shoes.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_010908b.htm
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:56 am

Huh. Seeing all these lists makes me realize there is a great number of Indiana Jones characters that I would buy at the 6-inch scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:51 pm

os189 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm
I wonder if anyone is still working at Hasbro that was there in 2008, cause surely they'd remember what a huge flop the IJ toyline was at the time.

Yes, diehard toy collectors like us ate it up. I didn't buy them all, but I made sure to get an Indy from each movie, even Crystal Skull which sucked.

The thing that bothered me the most was the comically oversized holster. How does a toy in 2008 not manage to have a better feature than the original toy from 1982?? Baffling.

I think Indy himself would be a hot seller in Black Series/Marvel Legends style, in at least the main looks from the original three movies. But I think diehard fans really overestimate the popularity of relatively boring, non-toyetic characters like Belloq, Sallah, and all the leading ladies.

I have zero evidence to back this up but I'd be willing to bet a lot that Dana and Gozer did horrible numbers compared to the four main Ghostbusters.

Indy himself is great, but the supporting cast just doesn't have the appeal. I don't think kids even play with toys anymore so kids aren't even relevant.

I think realistically, the best we can hope for are a few variations on Indy and then some bad guys he actually interacts with in a physical way with, like the Cairo Swordsman, German Mechanic, Giant Thugee, Mola Ram, and maybe Cate Blanchett's stupid character.

If an Indy series ever makes it to retail I imagine it would be like the Ghostbusters Plasma series...one and done.
There's a lot I agree with here, unfortunately. And I say that as someone whose all time favourite character in fiction might be Indy. Certainly top 5.
I absolutely think there's scope for 2/3 great waves of 6" Inch figures that would sell well enough to adult collectors (and I hope, hope, hope that happens), but I'm afraid I don't see much likelihood of success beyond that.
If I was Hasbro, I'd start with a brilliant 6" iconic Raiders Indy (like a deluxe or 'build up' Black Series), face-print, don't scrimp on paint application, let customers know more are coming to get people on board, then I'd have those 2/3 waves done, put my all into making them unmissable, and get them all out around Indy 5- then do what they're doing with D&D: take NECA's money to let them put out their versions, different scale, less 'playable', here-and-there over a longer time frame.
Kassle
CROM!

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm

I loved the Indy movies as a kid. I love 3.75 as a scale for these because of all the playset potential - he's an adventurer! But if they decided to go 6" and do something like Mattel is doing for JP, I'd need the following:

ROTA:
Indy
Marion
Toht

TOD:
Indy
Willie
Short Round

LC:
Young Indy (River Phoneix)
Henry Jones, Sr.
Elsa

KOTCS:
Indy
Marion
Irina Spalko

Obviously I'd love so many more (Sallah! Mola Ram! Cairo Swordsman!) but I recognize the line would probably be limited in scope. Even the ones I listed might be too many...hence leaving off Mutt. :D
Preacherpool
CROM!

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:24 am

I was so certain there would be one figure just so Hasbro could put make an overly elaborate box and slap the Lucasfilm 50th Anniversary sticker on it. Or even a Raiders 40th sticker. But... nothing. It's weird given the current crew's obsession with commemorative everythings.
spinc
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:39 am

Well, Ghostbusters had at least two series, so that's probably all we can expect of this.

A classic movie wave, and an Indy 5 wave. If they do well maybe one more.

So don't hype yourselves, guys. We'll be lucky if we even see an Indy, let alone a whole wave!
Kassle
CROM!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:42 am

Give. Me. Elsa!
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:41 am

I still think a 6” Black Series and a Mission Fleet scaled line of small play sets might work great for Indy. I think just 4 Figures for each movie probably wouldn’t be adequate because you need enemies for Indy to fight. Have to have Belloq, Cairo Swordsman, German Mechanic, Mola Ram, etc. We need Brody, Mac, Sallah in both Raider of the Lost Ark and last Crusades looks. Maybe to achieve different Indy looks throughout the films different heads and arms could be packed as like an Indy Ultimates figure or something like that.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:39 am

Someone on hisstank claimed that a Black Series style Indiana Jones figure is all ready to go and is gonna blow people's minds when it's unveiled.

I know anyone can say anything online....but I really want this rumor to be true.

Indy has never had a "perfect" figure. Just imagine if they actually were able to nail it in the 6 inch scale.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Just when I thought I was out!!!!!!
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 am

os189 wrote:Someone on hisstank claimed that a Black Series style Indiana Jones figure is all ready to go and is gonna blow people's minds when it's unveiled.

I know anyone can say anything online....but I really want this rumor to be true.

Indy has never had a "perfect" figure. Just imagine if they actually were able to nail it in the 6 inch scale.
Which thread? I haven’t been on Hisstank in forever.

I don’t doubt it though. I’m sure they’ll do a line for the movie and I’m sure they started work on it considering how long the new film has been in development.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:09 am

I tried to find it but it's buried somewhere in a thread about upcoming Classified figures, and I can't remember who said it.

So obviously it's got zero credibility, but the fact that just about everyone really hopes it's true doesn't make it true.

I want to believe, though.
spinc
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm

Here's a question for you all... would you like to see Indy with single jointed elbows and knees, or double jointed? If it was a classic RotLA Indy, what accessories would you like it to have, considering it couldn't have many? Removable hat or alternate hatless head?

Personally, I would like single joints with 90+ degrees of bending, as they just look better than double joints, and Indy isn't spiderman. I would like him to come with his gun, whip, gloved and ungloved hands, the golden idol, and an altarnate, hatless, smiling head. For his hat head, give him a serious expression, like he's in deep trouble.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 pm

spinc wrote:Here's a question for you all... would you like to see Indy with single jointed elbows and knees, or double jointed? If it was a classic RotLA Indy, what accessories would you like it to have, considering it couldn't have many? Removable hat or alternate hatless head?

Personally, I would like single joints with 90+ degrees of bending, as they just look better than double joints, and Indy isn't spiderman. I would like him to come with his gun, whip, gloved and ungloved hands, the golden idol, and an altarnate, hatless, smiling head. For his hat head, give him a serious expression, like he's in deep trouble.
They just have to follow the Black Series construction and I’ll be happy. I’d prefer no butterfly joints but I’m assuming they will. I think I’d prefer if they include a swappable hatless head. Even the 1/6 scale doesn’t seem like it can do removable hats.

Selfishly, I’m hoping for a new 4” line as well. Really hope they don’t just rerelease the 2008 stuff with new heads. Even though I’d absolutely buy a bunch of the vintage figures, I hope that’s not all they put out either.
spinc
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm

I'm assuming that IF they do a kids line, they'll do what they have been doing for the last few movie lines: do a 5" line with the same basic sculpt as the collectors line but with less paint and far less articulation, and a big kid friendly accessory.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”