What are your favorite Batman comic arcs?

Discuss your favorite comics, comic heroes, comic companies. Anything comics. Did we mention comics?
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

What are your favorite Batman comic arcs?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:09 pm

There's a debate over in the DC threads about TDKR or the DKR story (that's also up for debate) and just how it ranks among Batman arcs.

My views on it are...historically significant, overrated and has been surpassed. Ranking stories outright is difficult but what are some of your favorite Batman arcs?

In no particular order...

The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
Court of Owls
Zero Year
RIP
Nightfall
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Hush
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Re: What are your favorite Batman comic arcs?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm with you; I find Miller's work has not aged especially well, imo, but I *especially* dislike his Dark Knight books. I find his take on the character pretty repugnant and the artwork grotesque. I think his run on Batman: Year One has a lot going for it, but the whole "Catwoman is a hooker" bit sucks, so it's a pretty mixed bag.

I think Morrison's run is probably my favorite. There's a lot of cool stuff going on and I enjoy the way he loops so much of Batman's long history into the arc. There are some really great touches (I especially love the bit with the dominos, near the end, where Joker has lined up the 8 - 1 dominos back to back to back in a trail, to taunt Dr. Hurt [8 = H, 1 = A]). Morrison is Morrison, though, so the whole thing is very weird in places, and I can understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone. The Loeb/Sale collaborations are high on my list, too. I have a really big soft spot for Shaman, Broken City, and Gotham by Gaslight, too.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm

When Morrison took over as the writer on Batman...at first I was like, what's the big deal. It was my first experience with Morrison....then it all started coming together and when RIP wrapped, it blew my mind that he laid the ground work for all the threads the way he did.

Morrison quickly became my favorite writer....but I think Snyder in many ways became my new favorite run. It was so different all the while it all still felt like Batman without all the weirdness that Morrison can't help but put in. It's so hard to pick which run I liked more. But each of those two writers had some great story arcs that built and deconstructed Batman in new and interesting ways. They both show they have a good feel for what makes the character interesting.

Miller on the other hand....well, the more he worked on the character the more he created something that was someone wearing a Bat-suit...but decidedly not actually Batman. Like he wasn't actually interested in writing about Batman but had this other character he wanted to write about and just decided the only way to get his character made was claim it was a Batman story.
Kenobi
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:53 pm

I'm actually re-reading the entire modern era Batman run right now. Only on year two so long way to go still, but these are the ones in year one and two I really enjoyed thus far. All of these earned scores of 9+ (out of 10) from me....

Batman Year One.

Batman and the Monster Men.

Legends of the Dark Knight: Prey

The Man Who Laughs

Batman Confidential 22-25 (a follow up to Man Who Laughs). This one is a little bit wacky with the Joker shenanigan's, but I really enjoyed it. Reminds me of something I'd see from BTAS. Just goofy entertainment if you can call a Joker murder spree story that.

As far as overall stories go...

The entire Snyder run. Loved it. Zero Year, Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Endgame, Superheavy... all of it.

Tynion's Detective Comics run was great, really like the focus on the Bat-Family + Clayface.

Anything with Batman and Damian Wayne.

Everything from like Heart of Hush, Batman and Son, RIP, Battle for the Cowl, Batman and Robin, Red Robin, that whole era was awesome.

Not a big fan of DKR. I don't even own any figures from it whereas I have figures from Last Knight and White Knight. Some Morrison stuff I really really love (Batman and Son, RIP, Batman and Robin) then stuff I really really do not enjoy (Gothic, Black Glove).

Of course then there are the classic stories of Killing Joke, Long Halloween (anything Loeb/Sale), Hush...

As far as some issues that are not well known, I really enjoyed the Scarecrow story Cycle of Violence and there was a one shot of Mr. Freeze in New 52 that I really enjoyed too.
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:58 pm

Batman: Venom is my number one, all time favorite Batman story. I think that story alone has everything you ever need to know about Batman. I never read The Killing Joke until a couple of years ago. I thought it was way overrated. All the Loeb/Sale stories are golden. I like the Batman vs Dracula trilogy.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:54 pm

I haven't read many, but No Man's Land is my favorite.
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 pm

I’m not a huge Batman fan, but I’ve dipped in and out of the comics over the last 30-something years of my comic-reading life. Dark Knight Returns is easily my favorite, followed closely by Year One. I haven’t read any of Miller’s recent stuff, but for me, his work on Batman, Daredevil & the first Wolverine miniseries is freaking beautiful. It’s like some kind of wonderful pulp-noir poetry. :)
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:11 pm

I think my favorites are from Grant Morrison. I really enjoyed the entirety of Batman, Inc and also his Batman & Robin run. At least those are the Batman stories i reread the most often. I'm not sure how to delineate the various comic arcs within these runs as Grant always tend to have long-running plots going, even when it seems like background noise compared to an issue's more prominent events.

Return to “The Short Box - Comic Books”

Recent Topics