Is Alpha Flight an X-Men Comic?

Discuss your favorite comics, comic heroes, comic companies. Anything comics. Did we mention comics?
CaptainRon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Is Alpha Flight an X-Men Comic?

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Basically what the title says. No shortage of connections to X-Men and Wolverine. But do you consider it an X-Men title? I have a pretty massive X-Men comic book collection, but I have never chased AF books down. Always viewed them as tangential, rather than an X-Men title. Uncanny, X-Factor, X-Force, New Mutants…yes. AF not sure. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Re: Is Alpha Flight an X-Men Comic?

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Nah. It's tertiary at most.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:21 pm

No. I don't consider (classic) Excalibur an X-Men comic either even though most would probably disagree.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:10 pm

I'd consider them in the X-Men family of comics, just not as closely related as, say, X-Force.

If you think of the Marvel books as having kind of families of characters, Alpha Flight definitely fits closer to the X-Men than to any other book, I think. They first appeared in X-Men, they've had multiple members defect over to the X-Men, their origins are heavily entwined with the whole Weapon X program, which is a big part of X-Men lore thanks to Wolverine's popularity, and they've had a bunch of members of the team who were mutants, which all ties them in to the X-Men, to me.

If the man Mutant books are siblings--X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor--then Alpha Flight (and, yes, Excalibur [the original, at least]) were like cousins; they overlapped less frequently with the other books than the siblings did with each other, but they made occasional appearances and there were characters that overlapped.
CaptainRon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I can make a case for Excalibur because at least since the late 90s their stories were included in cross overs and main story lines. Alpha Flight very sparingly. I’ll consider my X-Men collection robust enough without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:28 am

For whatever it's worth, if you only care about crossovers and main X-Men stories, you can safely ignore both books, really. The only crossovers Excalibur was involved in were Inferno (and then, not directly) and Age of Apocalypse. Colossus' story arc from his brief time with the Acolytes kind of continues/picks up when he joins Excalibur, but, for the most part, Excalibur, as a team, has almost nothing to do with the X-Men (a fact that Nightcrawler brings up when the teams finally do interact, when he points out that it was pretty shitty for everyone to let him, Kitty, and Rachel think they were dead for years).
lalefi
I wish I had super powers

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:57 am

I also don't consider it an X-Men comic.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:45 pm

Alpha Flight debuted in the X-Men, but I don't think that makes it an X-Men comic. Many (most) of the members are not mutants, they have an entirely different mission objective and owe little to nothing to Xavier's dream as a reason for their existence. I enjoy Alpha Flight in its own right, but have never once considered it an X-Book.
ShauntotheMaxx
Here comes a new challenger!

Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:45 pm

I’d say they’re an X-men book. While not being intimate to the shenanigans surrounding Xavier and his crew, Alpha Flight serves to further expand and tell stories in the mutant side of the Marvel universe.

I think they’re the same as Nightwing. He can hook up with the Titans or do his own thing in Bludhaven, but he’s still connected to Batman.

Return to “The Short Box - Comic Books”