State of the X-Books

Discuss your favorite comics, comic heroes, comic companies. Anything comics. Did we mention comics?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: State of the X-Books

Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:24 am

Some pretty interesting stuff in this interview with Hickman.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:41 pm

SWORD #1 = Ewing on X-Men = amazing
TheSameIdiot

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:27 am

Who are we voting for, fam?

I'm torn. Armor and Boom-Boom are my two favorite characters on the list, but I could be convinced to vote for most of the others. There are too many good X-Men characters.
Piffy
The Fruity Guy

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:Who are we voting for, fam?

I'm torn. Armor and Boom-Boom are my two favorite characters on the list, but I could be convinced to vote for most of the others. There are too many good X-Men characters.
Most of the options are currently in other books where I quite enjoy them. And as much as I love Banshee, and as much as I desperately want him on a book, I'll be voting Tempo. I'll never pass up a chance to see an underdeveloped character full of potential shine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Piffy
The Fruity Guy

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Also, with this week's releases, I still stand by my assessment of Excalibur.

I absolutely loathe it. Absolute waste of characters like Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee (with her still randomly, stupidly deaged son in tow) and Rictor, all of whom could be having much larger, meaningful things to do elsewhere instead of just being window dressing to the worst characterization of Psylocke in her entire history. I am incapable of being convinced that there aren't dozens of other characters better suited to a book about British politics and mutant magic, but here we are, still. This book has managed to hit the same level as the X-Men arc right before Hickman took over where everyone was getting murdered every issue.

Just awful.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:16 pm

I'm so far behind on X books. I read house of X then a bunch of stuff leading up to Sword of X. I started sword of X but haven't kept up since then. I might just get the collected TPB for Sword of X. Or is it even worth it?

I kind of lost enthusiasm for X books in general. They just felt kind of aimless, maybe I expected something different after House of X, I'm not sure.
TheSameIdiot

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:13 am

I'm still pleased with the X books right now. X of Swords wasn't for everyone, but I loved it. It's one of my favorite Marvel events ever.

I will say that I'm not really sure what the point of the core X-Men title is. It's sort of scattershot and unfocused, and not in a good way (if there's such a thing). Maybe Hickman will turn things around when he actually has an official team of X-Men, but X-Men 1 to 17 is not a cohesive story. That's kind of a bummer, because I expected to purchase the eventual Hickman omnibus and shelve it next to Astonishing X-Men and New X-Men. As of now, that won't be the case.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:32 pm

I'm still thoroughly meh. I'm with Piffy that Excalibur is a stupid, bad books, but the rest I'm just sort of... >shrug<
I think that maverick hit it for me; it all feels aimless and I've been waiting for the payoff for all the weirdness and the implied "off-ness" of everything that was happening during House of X/Powers of X, and it just keeps not happening. It just feels like Lost all over again: lots of mysteries and implications of things being off or wrong, but I worry that there won't be a satisfying payoff for it all, and that bums me out.

If you're not sure about X of Swords, check if your library has Hoopla; the X-Men stuff has been trickling out on there, and I'm sure it'll be hitting soon. Marauders, X-Men, New Mutants, Excalibur, and Empyre: X-Men have all been available, off the top of my head.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 am

I've basically stopped reading all of the X-books. Which is kind of a running theme in my life since the late '90s. Strong starts. Interesting ideas. Characters I like. And then it just all goes to shit and everything is weird and even though I've read every book I still feel like I have no idea what's going on anymore and there's like forty different storylines across like.. twenty-six books.. and who [email protected]#$ even cares anymore.

You know what's a pretty good book? Darth Vader. I'm enjoying that one. It's telling a set story that clearly was planned out to some extent beforehand. It's got good art. It's focused on a character I like. And it's self-contained.
Conan is currently a pretty good book as well. And I'm even kind of enjoying Savage Avengers - which also feels fairly contained and linear.

The whole King in Black thing is garbage. The whole.. whatever the shit is going on with the Phoenix Force (AGAIN) is garbage. I'm sick to goddamn death of world-ending mega-stories.

While I was hoping X-Men would be something really interesting to follow.. it's just reverting back to what X-Men ALWAYS ends up being: convoluted bullshit with no sense of identity, spread out across way more pages than I have time for, and ultimately, I'm guessing, without even remotely having a payoff worth all that investment.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:30 pm

Wow, I have the totally opposite opinion, everything other than Excalibur is still firing on all cylinders for me, other than the latest issue of X-Men, which felt like a setup to something happening later with Storm and not much else. Books like Hellions, X-Factor, and SWORD are not only giving obscure characters the chance to shine, but also making them prominent and legitimate parts of the new status quo for the mutants. I'm not looking for "a payoff" right now, I'm just enjoying the new direction. I don't remember a payoff to them living at the school.

For the poll, I voted for Sunspot. I hate Tempo's goofy helmet.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:39 pm

The longer this goes on, the less clear I am about the timeline and what is supposed to still be canon.

Maybe I'm misremembering (not impossible since it's been about a year since I read HoX/PoX, but I thought that the whole thing with Moira's newfound power was that she kept looping back and trying different things? And it's shown that one of her middle lives was the 616 history that we've read and experienced, but that leads to the Days of Future Past. Then she goes through a few different lives where she tries to ally herself with Magneto and Apocalypse but those end up horrible, too, so the timeline we ultimately end up with is the one where she just approaches him before he's ever formed the X-Men and reveals everything to him and has him read her mind to see all the loops she's been through, right?

So it seemed to me that most of the history of the X-Men had been kind of soft reset, because why would Xavier and Moira put together the team and go through all the fights and the awfulness when Moira has already seen that doesn't work? But the longer this series runs, the more it seems to imply that all of the history of the 616 continued on as normal, despite that, so everything that was canon before still happened? There was still a Mutant Massacre and an X-Tinction Agenda, and a House of M and all that? Is there any explanation of which X-Men events still happened in this new reality, and I've just missed/forgotten it?
maverick10126

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 pm

I had to do a refresher myself, but life 10 IS the current Marvel Universe where everything that happened is part of X history. What seemed to happen is that Moria's new plan involved letting all parties go through the motions of preserving Mutant life and failing. This is the only way to unite the various factions like Apocalype, Magneto and Prof X together. She tried joining with each of them on their own and it didn't work. But if they see they fail individually the idea was they might be more willing to join up. So Prof X knew all about the many lives of Moria and had to just let things play out without trying anything out of character for himself. The difference in life 10 versus other lives where Moria told Charles about her powers is that in those lives they tried to change things where as in life 10 they just set things up for a future alliance someday.

Now, life 6 was skipped over in the story and a lot of people assumed that was the original marvel universe and life 10 is a new. However, I think life 6 is a back up plan/reset built in if they need it. Life 6 could play out exactly the same, same events in the Marvel history happening as in life 10 with the only difference being all of the House of X stuff. If Marvel wanted to reset, they can go back, undo House of X while still maintaining all the history by showing us what happened during life 6. From what we have seen, each life plays out similarly...especially when Moria only makes minor changes. For instance, in life 4, Moria marries Xavier and even though that changes things a lot of the history still kinda plays out like we have seen before. There's references to Giant Sized X-Men and so forth so it seems like things still history wants to naturally do certain things.

But yeah, all signs point to Marvel History being life 10 for Moria. It definitely gets confusing when they jump into the future and you're left wondering which life it was. I think one of the reveals was that we were seeing life 8 or 9? I can't remember.

On a side note, I'm thinking of picking these up in TPB form someday. Which route do you guys suggest? Individual title form (X-Men Vol 1, 2, etc) or Dawn of X format?
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Sat May 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Ah, thanks for that, maverick. My copy isn't readily accessible, so I couldn't look it up, but that mostly makes sense. I thought Life 1 was the original 616, but I think you're right, that the 616 as we've understood it is life 10. Now that you reminded me, I seem to remember that the only timeline where she had Proteus was timeline 10, right?
maverick10126

Mon May 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:27 pm
Ah, thanks for that, maverick. My copy isn't readily accessible, so I couldn't look it up, but that mostly makes sense. I thought Life 1 was the original 616, but I think you're right, that the 616 as we've understood it is life 10. Now that you reminded me, I seem to remember that the only timeline where she had Proteus was timeline 10, right?
Yup, life 10 is where she had Proteus. It's the only life that mentions him.
Mypoorwallet
Here comes a new challenger!

Tue May 18, 2021 5:47 am

So I'm reading the new X-factor boom and loving it so far. 1 thing bothers me though. How is Northstar's husband allowed on the island?? Thought it was mutants only and as far as I knew he was human.

Return to “The Short Box - Comic Books”