Selling your collection???

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Selling your collection???

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but from time to time I consider wiping the slate clean of the collection to start fresh. Not selling everything but pruning the mess out of everything so that it is more manageable but also more fun. If I do this, this will be the second time I have done that. The first was in 2011. I sold my Toy Biz ML run and Star Wars 3.75 collection for a small chunk of change.

Personally, I look at the figures in my bins and boxes and go - I need to sell it. It just takes up space. But the thought of selling just seems overwhelming. Does anyone else think this? Am I the only one?

And if you did sell, how did you go about doing it? Did you find a retail store that bought everything in one swoop? sell on the fwoosh? or just donate it to goodwill?

And on a side note, this isn't me getting out the collecting game but my collecting habits have changed in the past 3 years and so I am left with a lot of stuff in storage that I just don't enjoy any more. While I enjoy Marvel Legends, I have been collecting them since I was in 6th grade (I'm 34 now) and I am just bored with them. I'm also tired of the Hasbro machine that puts out a semi awesome figure but then makes you go out and buy the same character again to get more pieces to have the ultimate version. I know they aren't the only ones who do this but they have made that game part of their retail strategy and its exhausting.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Re: Selling your collection???

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:58 pm

I don't sell in bulk, just regularly prune the collection and sell on ebay.

But yes, I'm right there with you when I look at my collection and see how much of it is in bins and wonder where's the end? Whenever I sell of figures I don't miss them, so I'm either really good at knowing what I want or the scary reality....maybe I don't want any of it and wouldn't miss any of it. I mean if figures can live in bins for over a year without me touching them, do I really even have them? I don't see them, don't interact with them, what's the difference? Feels like a schrodingers cat situation.

Sometimes I genuinely want a different collection as a replacement. I was enjoying the Studio Series TF line initially but then I switched over to the WFC figures instead. So it was a matter of me selling off that entire collection and changing it over.

I've only been really collecting ML since 2016 and I'm really close to being done. There's a few holes that I want filled and after that I'm pretty content. DC will be the focus. NECA is always going to throw a curveball at me but those are random. SW is pretty much wrapped up as well.

Honestly, I'd love to be done with collecting entirely. Just have all the characters I want from the various properties and that's it.
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:58 pm
I don't sell in bulk, just regularly prune the collection and sell on ebay.

But yes, I'm right there with you when I look at my collection and see how much of it is in bins and wonder where's the end? Whenever I sell of figures I don't miss them, so I'm either really good at knowing what I want or the scary reality....maybe I don't want any of it and wouldn't miss any of it. I mean if figures can live in bins for over a year without me touching them, do I really even have them? I don't see them, don't interact with them, what's the difference? Feels like a schrodingers cat situation.

Sometimes I genuinely want a different collection as a replacement. I was enjoying the Studio Series TF line initially but then I switched over to the WFC figures instead. So it was a matter of me selling off that entire collection and changing it over.

I've only been really collecting ML since 2016 and I'm really close to being done. There's a few holes that I want filled and after that I'm pretty content. DC will be the focus. NECA is always going to throw a curveball at me but those are random. SW is pretty much wrapped up as well.

Honestly, I'd love to be done with collecting entirely. Just have all the characters I want from the various properties and that's it.
I'm right there with you and schrodinger's cat LOL! Side note, I will forever think of Sheldon and Penny every time I see that.

As far as selling one piece at a time, selling a huge chunk like that is almost its own job. Last year, I sold off A LOT of stuff to purchase the 1/4 movie TMNT figures. That was stressful to keep everyone's order and info together. That's the only downsize to that. But if you do that way, you do get the full value of the figure instead of a store doing half or something so that they can make a profit.

For me, there is a lot of product coming out (last week it was very difficult to keep up with all the announcements. I needed Robo last week to help sort it all out in the Weekly) and to be honest there is not a lot that excites me. And yet I feel like I have to buy it because that's what you do. Case in point, the ML comic Thanos was on my list. I finally saw him at ThinkGeek this past weekend. I got him. I checked him off my list. And I opened him and... I felt nothing. There was no joy in posing. No fun at all. If ThinkGeek wasn't an hour away I would return him. And there have been a few more moments like this.

I was talking with my wife about this yesterday and while she agrees I have to much stuff she likes the idea of my downsizing and having more definitive representations of figures. She used the word Hot Toys - probably not going there as I feel like you can't pose them or keep them posed long term. But what I have really enjoyed in the last few years is NECA's 1/4 offerings. You have to be more choosey due to space but I have never looked at one from the last 3 years and said - I should not have gotten that.
maverick10126

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:24 pm

I had a similar moment when I opened the new John Stewart GL figure. It was excellent, everything I wanted the figure to be. But the opposite happened to me, it was almost too good and it represented the end of the chase for that particular figure. I realized I would probably never buy another John Stewart GL figure. I had gotten so used to ML and the ever incremental upgrades over time. It annoys me but it keeps me feeding the itch.

I've though about doing something similar and just going all MAFEX and getting definitive figures, but the latest round of breakage reports shied me away from them. I've instead decided to come up with a list of every possible character I could want from various properties to really see what my "complete" collection would look like. It might take a while, but it might be worth it and keep me focused. I know there's always going to be curveballs but it might help me from buying figures that will go straight into the bin.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 am

I kind of did two big prunes and I -mostly- don't regret any of it. The first was when I decided to trim the collection way back and get rid of the unnecessary stuff - the ancillary characters I don't actually care about, the bad toys that I only kept because I liked the character -- stuff like that. The second big prune came off the whole Covid thing destroying our finances and some really big car and vet bills one after another.
In all cases, I just dumped everything on BST groups locally or on eBay (often both) and stuff went for what it went for (usually way less than you'd think since the Canadian market is [email protected]#$ garbage).

The new rule going forward is to only buy the characters/designs I -really- care about directly rather than trying to have the entire supporting cast for every character I like. No more BAD figures just because I want that character on my shelf - as I'm really finding that I'm never happy to have that character if the toy sucks. And nothing in bins. If I can't display it, I don't need it.
maverick10126

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:31 pm

One of my big struggles is having multiple figures of the same character. It's just too easy to justify having both a brown suit Wolverine and Tiger Stripe. Then it gets worse with Spidey....seeing as all my spidey's are essentially in the same classic suit. I follow that trend and before I know it I have multiples of characters that are secondary.

An established line that I've been collecting for a while I tend to be careful with, like 3.75" SW...then I get into a new line and I throw all rules out the door for about a year until I look back and realize I purchased a lot of filler that I didn't really want.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:31 pm

maverick10126 wrote: One of my big struggles is having multiple figures of the same character. It's just too easy to justify having both a brown suit Wolverine and Tiger Stripe.
That's one of the few 'this is a dumb way to collect' things I -cannot- kick no matter how hard I try. There's is literally no way for me to choose between Wolverine variants, or He-Man variants, to say 'okay, just this figure.' Especially when you start getting into multiple lines and styles of figure, besides just costume variants.
Believe it or not, I chopped my current ML collection down to 10 figures (I'll get a few more here and there, but that's the current total after the vet/car purge). Four of them are Wolverine. I'm not even sorry.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 am

Two weekends ago, a buyer from another town answered one of my ads. He ended up buying twice as many figures as we originally agreed. He paid a fair price too. After handing me the cash, he then told me he was off to another local seller's place - to buy four times as much stuff! Jeepers.

If I ever need to prune my collection again, I'm emailing this guy asap.
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:31 pm

Dormammu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 am
Two weekends ago, a buyer from another town answered one of my ads. He ended up buying twice as many figures as we originally agreed. He paid a fair price too. After handing me the cash, he then told me he was off to another local seller's place - to buy four times as much stuff! Jeepers.

If I ever need to prune my collection again, I'm emailing this guy asap.
Any chance that guy can make his way down to South GA lol
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:51 pm

I may be doing some serious thinning on my end. I just cancelled all the Super7 Disney figures the other day. Pretty positive I'm cancelling all the upcoming Star Wars stuff I haven't received yet.

Probably going to sell 70% of the Star Wars stuff.
Selling 95% of the DC stuff I have.

Basically culling nearly everything but Legends and some Independent characters like Scud/Lady Death/Mars Attack/Pitt figs.

Oh, and I'm keeping all my high end stuff like Mezco One:12 and such.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Unless it's something i know will sell due to its current rarity i really don't bother because of the inherent hassle in the process.

I tried quitting legends back when hasbro first took over, and attempted to move my collection here but all that happened was what you'd expect, good stuff was cherry picked i was still left with alot of figures that nobody wanted and i couldnt really get rid of shy of giving them away.

I've considered selling off collections of series since then after getting back into legends and other lines heavily, like my DCUC which i no longer have a use for but i don't want to get cherry picked and left with tubs full of junk, and theres nowhere nearby that is the type of place to buy toy collections. Nearest one is like 8 hours away and i can't take trips like that with two kids.

So if i have a decently sized collection, like the DCUC i put them in totes and just move on. IF i have a smattering of something like, imports or 1/6th that i can sell for basically what i paid or more on ebay after fees and junk i go that route and try to make some room and get some extra money to help deal with the costs of trying to be a hasbro collector nowadays which feels like a futile endeavor.

IF you're actively wanting to get rid of a full collection i'd seek out a retailer who buys them, and get them to take everything, you may not make the most on the good stuff but you'll also not get stuck with the worthless ones and hopefully it balances out. I'd hate to try and sell a collection on ebay, one the questions and details you'd get hounded for but also the shipping of a large quantity of figures like that guh.

I feel like if i get too far along with too many figures my kids can have them or they can get thrown away.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:58 pm

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the hassle. I will likely sell in lots, and put a popular (wanted) character in each lot. Honestly, I'm more looking to just get them out of my closets than making a bunch of money on them. Whatever doesn't sell goes to Goodwill.
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Selling a collection is a big task, and a lot of work. It may seem almost impossible - but once you start it flows pretty easily. I've purged quite a few times in the last 30 years or so that I've been collecting, but my interests waver so much with this stuff that I ended up re-buying a lot of the stuff I've sold lol

I sold the entire ToyBiz ML collection, but now I'm super deep into Hasbro ML
I sold the ToyBiz LOTR collection, then about 10 years later I got fired up for LOTR and ended up re-buying all the orcs and bad guys
I sold *almost* my entire Star Wars 3.75 collection (just kept the sith characters and all the Hoth stuff), and now Im currently tracking down all the vehicles and a bunch of figures, at least half of which I previously owned.
I've sold lots of other collections as well, that I haven't felt a need to get back into thank god!
Currently I'm selling off my Hot Toys collection and cleaning up and selling some of my 6 year old daughters toys to use the money to buy her new stuff

Buy stuff, interests change, sell stuff to use the money to buy stuff I'm interested in now. To me, purging and selling is just a part of the hobby.
maverick10126

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 pm

I sold off the AoA wave....and with the reveal of wave 2 I re-purchased it lol. Most of the time though my sales are permanent.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:47 am

TFitz wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:51 pm
Selling 95% of the DC stuff I have.
Part of me wants to purge out my DCSH/DCUC collection. I also have a fair amount of old DC Direct that could go too. In all, it's 6 large, crowded shelves of older figures. But I can't pull the trigger. Nice collection, nice memories. The good thing is, it hasn't grown in a long time too. So it's just done, displayed, and not being useless in storage tubs.

I'm glad I didn't jump on the McF DC train. As cool as those figures are (I bought 2 in total), my DC days are over. Plus I'm not into the modern looks at all.

Aside from collecting the very rare Marvel Select or NECA, I'm glad that I only really have 2 lines I'm actively collecting. I heavily cherry-pick Legends, sometimes skipping whole waves, but I'm gobbling up the old skool classics every year. And I love me some Mythic Legions, but the good thing is, they don't come around that much. So that's semi under control too.

The 3rd line I'm starting is McF Warhammer 40k. I'm very glad it's relatively cheap and so far only 2 figs per wave. If all that changes, I could be in trouble because I really like those figures. If War 40K revs up big-time, then maybe most of my DC figs must go. Money and shelf space for the Emperor!

Return to “The Bar With No Name”