Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
User avatar
JackCaspian
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Every once in a while, as I scan over the large and varied contents of my toy collection, I stumble across a figure or two (or three... or four...) that were just.... mistakes. From horrible paint jobs, to maddening articulation (or lack thereof), we've all probably wound up with our share of duds and "caveat emptor" poster children. So, I thought I'd share my current top 5 (note "current", because it's always changing), and encourage you to do the same!

Here goes-- my list, in no particular order (and if, perchance, one of my picks is actually a figure that you adore, no worries-- it's all in fun, all opinions are valid):

Toy Biz Marvel Legends Rogue (2003) - This figure was part of a Legends 5-pack that also featured Magneto, Beast, Gambit, and Wolverine. The Beast that came with this set was actually pretty great, as I recall. I realize that the TB ML line has both fans and critics; some people love it, some people hate it-- and that's cool. But the specific reason that this Rogue makes my list...? Her face. Oh my, her face. I can't even actually find the words to satisfactorily describe how horrifying I find her face (Fwoosh actually did a review of this figure some years back, but strangely did not comment on the face at all). At the time this came out, I think it was the only Jim Lee Rogue in ML scale (?), which I guess is what made me buy it. And I think it's more the paint apps than the sculpt. But either way, it's ugly as sin. She looks like she was made up by a funeral home beautician. Who was blind, maybe. And like... deeply angry at her. It's a train wreck. Or, I dunno. Maybe it's just me? Google it if you're curious.

Toy Biz Marvel Legends Banshee (2006) - Two TB ML figures on my list; I know, I know. But back in the day, it wasn't like you had MAFEX, and Marvel Select and whatever else to choose from, right? If you were putting together your 90s X-Men teams, TB ML was pretty much it as far as I knew. So, you gotta get Banshee. Except this Banshee's mutation was not sonic blasts-- his mutation was a ridiculous giraffe neck, and a RAGING face sculpt that literally shouts the words "WHY DO I HAVE THIS STUPID GIRAFFE NECK??? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH." The sad part is that this figure is STILL on my shelf because Banshee has still not been updated. In 15 years, no new Banshee. Note to Hasbro: I'll give you $20 if you give me a normal neck, non-raging Banshee. Deal?

MAFEX Dark Knight Trilogy Batman version 2.0 (2015-ish?) - So I actually bought this figure three times. Yeah. The toy-collecting equivalent of Einstein's definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results." Just to look at the thing in its packaging, frankly it looks fantastic. In the looks department, I don't think there's a better Nolan TDK sculpt in 6-inch format. And I gather that most of us on these forums are by now well-versed in the early Struggles (yes, with a capital S) that MAFEX had with QC. But back in the day, I had no clue. The first one I got had the leg break at the hip literally just from taking it out of the package. The second one, the arm broke within 5 minutes of messing with it. The third one-- wait for it-- the arm AND the leg were broken IN the package. So, you know. I just gave up. The not-haha funny thing about it is that you would assume that the whole "version 2.0" thing would be like "hey, we fixed things this time", but no. To be fair, I never got version 1.0, but if 2.0 was supposed to be the improved product...? I would have to imagine that 1.0 was literally just a piece of dog crap placed into a box with a picture of Batman on it. Literally. Dog crap.

MAFEX C-3PO (from the 2-pack w/ R2, 2016) - Not gonna add anything to what everyone already knows about the C-3PO from this set; just going to paraphrase Han Solo, instead: "The crazy thing is... it's true. The QC nightmare. The floppy joints. The broken limbs. All of it. It's all true."

NECA Karate Kid Tournament 2-pack/ Daniel Larusso & Johnny Lawrence (2019) - For the record, I really love like... 95% of NECA's lines. For my money, they usually nail it. USUALLY. And even with this line, the figures look pretty good. I don't usually love soft goods, but the gi design here is pretty good. The face sculpts are not terrible. So what's my problem with their Karate Kid figures? NECA gave them hinged feet, but no ankle rockers. I mean... IF EVER there was a line of articulated figures that NEEDED ankle rockers, it's a frickin' KARATE themed line. And I get it, "it's a little harsh to trash a whole line just because of one point of articulation, isn't it...?" Well. ... All I know is that I spent a good hour trying to get these two into natural looking fight poses, and the feet were not doing me any favors. Luckily, I just got Icon Heroes Daniel and Johnny, and all indications are that they can actually, like... you know, pivot their feet. So here's hoping.
User avatar
sanityattack
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Wales
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:59 pm

Wasn't Banshee in the first Hasbro ML wave?
User avatar
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 6998
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:48 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Yes - he triggered the Hasbro dark ages.
User avatar
JackCaspian
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 pm

sanityattack wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:59 pm
Wasn't Banshee in the first Hasbro ML wave?
Oh man, it's true... sorry, all! My mistake, Banshee is indeed a Hasbro release. :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction. My issues with the figure stand, but it's probably a good idea for me to at least get my facts straight... :?
User avatar
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10182
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:12 pm

I won't list any toybiz figures because a good portion of them have been done better by hasbro. The toybiz legends started this madness for me so I don't regret any of them... Even scarlet mitch.

As for hasbro's, off the top of my head is the recent winter soldier that figure looked way too tall and sure enough he is. I can't even display him when he's taller than Thor and cap. Complete miss by hasbro imo
User avatar
Andron X
I come from the land up over
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 4662
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:51 am

I was always pretty disappointed with ML3 Magneto.
For such a key villain his figure just seemed rushed, and it took years before we got a better replacement.

For starters, the ironman body it used as a base was a baffling choice. It was too beefy- worked better for a guy in a metal suit. There were rings around the shoulders and sculpted lines on the pelvis. His belt was a bit of plastic placed overtop the ironman buckle, so it bulged in the front. His studded collar only covered the front of his chest instead of circling around his back. Mine also had a leg that was stuck fast and unable to move (surgery showed it was deformed plastic in the joint) and his wrists were assembled backwards. I didn't really care for the headsculpt either.

*I realized I was supposed to pick 5, but really at the moment that sticks out as a particularily disapointed figure that I bought. I guess ML2 human torch was pretty weak, with the slightly warped face, and reused flame effects that didn't really fit. But I am more forgiving on that one.

And ultimate cap was kind of grotesque. I didn't like the obnoxious hunchback, and ugly face. Shame, because the rest of the figure was pretty solid.
Then there was 2 pack cap, which fixed the headsculpted, but retained the hunchback and gave him distractingly lopsided gloves, so one flare to the back, and the other to the side.
User avatar
franky4fingers
Supports Digits
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: the sixth dimension
Posts: 5757
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:13 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:35 am

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

First that spring to mind for me, ask me again in a few days it'll probably change a little
User avatar
Adamantium Claws
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Avengers HQ
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:56 am

Hot Toys Thor 1 comes to mind.
dogtownbrigade
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Mafex Last Jedi Phasma

Neca 1/4 Hulk

Gentle Giant Jumbo Secret Wars Spider-Man

Super 7 Filmation Roboto
User avatar
Adamantium Claws
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Avengers HQ
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:58 pm

The Hot Toys Thor figure from the first movie.
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 22767
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:34 am

DCUC. Yep, the hole line. Really hated the legs and the backs on the guys and the women were just bad all around. Add to that, they never evolved into better figures. But they were pretty cheap back then and I wanted some DC representation.

Mafex Superman. Tiny head and just don't really like the upper body design.

BAF Sasquatch. OK, I need him represented, but damn is he way too small.

Mythic Legion vampires. Their heads just seem to big and they just seem...off. Not sure how to describe it.

That's all I can think of atm.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 15899
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:15 am

Definitely a worthwhile topic to revisit once in a while.
TFitz wrote: DCUC. Yep, the hole line. Really hated the legs and the backs on the guys and the women were just bad all around. Add to that, they never evolved into better figures. But they were pretty cheap back then and I wanted some DC representation.
I think I agree with this. I spent a LOT of money on DCUC, as I was often buying full waves. And, agree again, I think I was just wanting DC action figures and they were at least legit action figures while DCD or whatever was still cranking out their half-statues and low-POA/ROM figures. And, maybe like you, I stuck around for early waves because I expected the figures might improve over time, and then stuck around after that because I was already 6 or 7 waves in and was just used to them. Even liked them well enough at the time (again, maybe because I -wanted- to like them).

But the legs were a terrible design decision. The female figures were a mess. The plastic quality was pretty meh. And even for their time, the articulation was typical 4H (that is.. standard articulation for figures older than them, but nothing innovative or even truly modern). And to top it off, some of my favorite characters that I really thought had a chance in an expansive, world-building line... just never happened. Forget the deep cuts like Silent Knight and The Viking Prince.. we never got Nightmaster. But those three were always long shots. Never getting to Shining Knight and Saunders Vigilante? [email protected]#$ off, Scott.

TFitz wrote: Mythic Legion vampires. Their heads just seem to big and they just seem...off. Not sure how to describe it.
I'll one up that and say 'everything 4H.' I can't think of anything they've ever done that I didn't eventually go back and decide was kind of shit. Or at least underwhelming. Even my very precious MOTUC -- I only kept a handful and sold off almost everything else. Absolutely, part of that was needing money. But they weren't as hard to part with as they should have been and that makes me think maybe it was a mistake to buy them at all.

But outside MOTUC -- my Fwooshephant spent all of his life leaning against a wall because his ankles and hips were shitty. Then one day, only fairly recently in fact, his shoulder joint simply disintegrated. The Ravens from the Ravens KS couldn't stand worth a shit. The Mythic Legions figures I had were loose-jointed and had incredibly disappointing ROM/articulation. I got one Power Lords figure and I had to glue its arm in because it always just falls out.
I guess the Mirage Turtles were really nice and I kept those for a very long time (ironically, got rid of them because I was tired of always having just Turtles and then shortly after that NECA came back with those Shredder/Foot sets).

But yeah, I guess with a few exceptions, I just don't think the 4H have ever had quality output, and yet I've given them a LOT of money for a lot of disappointment.


While I'm on entire lines... Animal Warriors of the Kingdom. But I need to qualify it a bit by saying that their product quality has (I'm told) gone WAY up for more recent releases and that's great. The creator is a fantastic dude and I think he really cares about the product. And I like the product in theory.
But in practice? I went all-in for the first KS and all of the figures had terribly weak knees, to the point where none of them could stay standing on the shelf. Their clip-on armor is pretty poorly engineered and doesn't stay on if you so much as touch them.
And when I went to at least sell off the carded figures (I got so many figures with my All-In that I was able to open quite a few and still have extras carded), I had them on eBay -repeatedly-, as well as local groups, and ended up selling like 8 carded figures for a dollar. So not only were the figures disappointing, but I didn't get anything in return but janky toys that live in a ziploc bag in my closet, and a few cents after eBay and Paypal took a cut of the dollar. Maybe one of my most disappointing experiences with action figures.
Also... when I got my deluxe figures from the second KS shipped, I chose the regular shipping option but they were sent UPS. So I spent around 100 dollars Canadian to get 2 figures, only to have UPS show up demanding 40 more dollars in 'brokerage fees.' I refused. So.. no toys for me, and out 100 bucks. Chalk it up to this entire toyline just being a HUGE disappointment for me.

But I hope that all turns around with the 6" figures. And I want to reiterate that I don't put this down as 'this company is bad and you shouldn't buy from them.' I knew it was a KS and sometimes first tries don't work out so well. It happens. If the quality is on the up, that's good and you should support them - as well as other small toy companies. That doesn't go for the 4H, though. They suck. Don't buy from them.
User avatar
VonDoom62
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:01 am

Storm Collectibles' first Scorpion and Sub-Zero figures based on MK2 broke my heart because they looked great and they posed great, but the quality control was garbage. Scorpion came with a busted shoulder joint right out the box that I had to get replaced. Sub-Zero's wrist sockets cracked after awhile and would no longer hold his wrist joints. They also just got incredibly loose over time. I pretty much swore off Storm's stuff entirely until a moment of weakness came and I gave UMK3 Scorpion and Sub-Zero a shot. Thankful I did since Storm Collectibles is now my favorite import toy company.

Speaking of MK, McFarlane's MK11 Scorpion and Sub-Zero are definitely figures I regret buying. After getting them, I tried to convince myself I liked them, but they're just not fun. They have all the articulation, but a good amount of it isn't very functional. I don't even like designs of the costumes they're wearing that much either. It's a good thing McFarlane's MK line picked up after this, because these two nearly had me write it off entirely.

Bring Arts Kingdom Hearts Cloud is a figure that I can't say I wish I hadn't paid money for since I'm happy to have a Cloud Strife on my shelf, but man. Loose hips, loose wrists, and a loose head do not make for a fun figure. The articulated plastic cape was kinda cool at first, but I still find it too restrictive for my tastes. Still, it's a 1/12(-ish) Cloud and it definitely looks cool when posed properly so I only wish that I didn't pay so much for it rather than having total buyer's remorse.
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 22767
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:24 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:15 am
TFitz wrote: Mythic Legion vampires. Their heads just seem to big and they just seem...off. Not sure how to describe it.
I'll one up that and say 'everything 4H.' I can't think of anything they've ever done that I didn't eventually go back and decide was kind of shit. Or at least underwhelming. Even my very precious MOTUC -- I only kept a handful and sold off almost everything else. Absolutely, part of that was needing money. But they weren't as hard to part with as they should have been and that makes me think maybe it was a mistake to buy them at all.

But outside MOTUC -- my Fwooshephant spent all of his life leaning against a wall because his ankles and hips were shitty. Then one day, only fairly recently in fact, his shoulder joint simply disintegrated. The Ravens from the Ravens KS couldn't stand worth a shit. The Mythic Legions figures I had were loose-jointed and had incredibly disappointing ROM/articulation. I got one Power Lords figure and I had to glue its arm in because it always just falls out.
I guess the Mirage Turtles were really nice and I kept those for a very long time (ironically, got rid of them because I was tired of always having just Turtles and then shortly after that NECA came back with those Shredder/Foot sets).

But yeah, I guess with a few exceptions, I just don't think the 4H have ever had quality output, and yet I've given them a LOT of money for a lot of disappointment.
I will say I LOVE their Goblins, and Dwarfs. Their tendency to make the heads to large really works in the favor of the Dwarfs, and the Goblins are just fun characters.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 15899
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Just for fun: Top 5 Disappointing Figures You Wish You Hadn't Paid Money For

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:27 pm

TFitz wrote: I will say I LOVE their Goblins, and Dwarfs. Their tendency to make the heads to large really works in the favor of the Dwarfs, and the Goblins are just fun characters.
Pfft. No one believes anything you say anyway.

Return to “The Bar With No Name”