Pro-Wrestling Discussion

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Pro-Wrestling Discussion

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:09 am

When the Shield debuted, I had really high hopes for Reigns. I already REALLY liked Rollins from NXT and Ring of Honor, and I knew Ambrose would be good (I was aware of him from pre-WWE work, but not overly familiar with him). Roman was the wild card for me but I believed, and still believe, that he has a lot of potential.

BUT.. he's not ready. He's not seasoned enough. His mic skills are basically non-existent, his moveset is as limited as Cena's. His ring psychology basically doesn't exist. He's not entertaining to watch. That's the thing. When I say he's not ready, I'm not talking about some obscure 'paying your dues' type concept. I don't care if it's his first day in WWE as long as he's great to watch. But he isn't.

Roman Reigns has the 'look.' And that's pretty much ALL he has right now. The worst part about it is that WWE is force-feeding him to fans. They should have learned by now that a good percentage of WWE fans do not like being TOLD who to cheer for. And more importantly - they love being entertained.

The Rumble was just bafflingly-stupid. Very poor choices for entrants. Terrible spots. Shitty eliminations. And a garbage winner, promising a garbage main event at the biggest damn show of the year. Vince needs to just get the [email protected]#$ out. As does everyone in WWE that still believes 'huge muscles' is all that matters for your main events and big matches.

You want a killer 'Mania? Build it right. Choose guys that have fan support and the talent to pull off the kind of intense match that rips cheers from fans that don't even like them. It's not even [email protected]#$ hard to do; Bryan wins Rumble. Rollins spends some time on following RAWs bitching and moaning about fans supporting Bryan. Give them a throw-away match on a following RAW right after Fast Lane where Bryan gets a quick win for a stupid reason (interference by Stooges gone wrong, or something).

Show Rollins getting more and more furious and even jealous over the fan support Bryan gets. This, of course, would go on while pushing the fact that Bryan is the super-underdog in a match against Lesnar at Wrestlemania that will be his toughest fight.

Wrestlemania -- Rollins' goons and maybe some hired help (like the Ascension and Baron Corbin) jump Lesnar as he makes his entrance. Beat him down good. Rollins cashes in and gets the easy win. He grabs the mic and lets loose -- Bryan is still getting his title match, but Rollins had to make sure it was the two of them, because he needs to prove that he's better, that he's more deserving of the adoration of the fans, that their love is rightfully his.

THAT'S a [email protected]#$ story, and it would be an absolutely badass 'Mania main event, as well as being a fantastic swerve to not even really end up using Lesnar.

And that's just off the top of my head. Writing Wrestling isn't hard if you actually like wrestling (which I'm no longer convinced that Vince or Creative actually do).
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:33 am

The worst thing about the current WWE product is they own all of the modern era Wrestling history. They know how it was done before and what works yet they never use it.

They need to make the IC title credible and use that as a springboard to Main Event status. I think that is what the Money in the Bank briefcase is being used as now but the IC title has so much history. It was used to build up Warrior, Rock, Austin, HBK, Bret Hart, Perfect. These are legit Hall of Famers who went on to be great Main Eventers.

I know this is controversial but WWE have done wonders with Brock being the champ. He is credible and a true beast. Lesnar as champ is best for business but he needs to be on more shows. Not to wrestle, as that should be saved for special occasions, but to just showcase the Champ.

Reigns is just terrible and should not be the "Chosen One". The actual talent in WWE (including NXT) is the best it has ever been but the creativity is shot to shit. I am a big fan of these new guys but I can't stand seeing the same old crap. This is why I just watch NXT and why I think it is the best WWE product on today.
hurricanebtvs
Wannabe Mod FAIL!

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Reigns aside, that was one of THE worst rumbles ever. No story, stupid eliminations, guys made to look awful and too many of the same guy in at one time (Big Show, Kane, Rusev, Ryback, Langston) making it boring.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Amazing triple threat aside...

I'm so happy that the crowd killed that match after Bryan was eliminated. Only Ziggler or Ambrose could have salvaged it, but Vince saw to it that didn't happen. The crowd rightfully boo'd Roman away. They even cheered Rusev as the lesser of two evils just like Roman got last year.

I'll say this, they tried to use the Rock as a cheap pop for Roman, BUT THEY BOO'D THE ROCK.

Glad to see #CancelWWENetwork was the #1 Twitter trend and that the cancel page for the network crashed. Cut into WWE's bottom line and see what they do.
franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:50 pm

how bad was that rumble ending?

so bad that mother nature said no raw tonight
Boy Wonder

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm

And no Smackdown either. Nature just canceled WWE.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:00 am

TheFallen wrote:I know this is controversial but WWE have done wonders with Brock being the champ.
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Agree with everything else you said - ESPECIALLY about the IC title. But, in my opinion, Brock being champion has been nothing but a disaster. In this day and age with WWE having a PPV every month, RAW every Monday, and Smackdown every ThursFri-Day, it is totally unacceptable, and actually damaging to the product, for -the champ- to barely ever be on the product, and to only wrestle once in a while.
We know he's 'a beast' because we're told he is. But we barely see it. In my opinion, a champion does not look credible, regardless of how big he is, if he only fights every month or three against guys that fight regularly. How is he a good champion? Because he won a single match and then doesn't defend his title for two or three ... or four [email protected]#$ months? That's the weakest champion I can think of.

Unless I'm mistaken -- WWE had THREE goddamn PPVs, in a row, where the primary championship was not defended. That's .. disgusting. I don't even have any other word for it. Part timers should not hold titles. I don't care how big their arms are or exactly how closely they resemble a giant toddler.

What makes the entire situation worse, in my opinion, is that having your CHAMPION barely ever on your product also severely, detrimentally, devalues the Money in the Bank briefcase. The whole appeal and 'power' of being Mr. Money In The Bank is the ability to cash in any time, anywhere, after anything that might happen during the course of the various shows. But Rollins has no ability to do that because Brock is never [email protected]#$ THERE. Makes the briefcase borderline worthless.

So yeah, lots of whining, I guess. But in my opinion Brock's championship reign is the worst thing to happen since Punk left, and easily the shittiest, most product-damaging championship run in the entire history of the strap.
(I'm leaving out Backlund's run in the '90s because he lost the title days after winning it, and therefore his ridiculous title reign was too short to even matter, let alone be considered damaging - although it was also very dumb.)
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:23 am

Triple threat match was awesome. Lesnar is so awesome....when he's around.

Every time Heyman does his spiel about Lesnar and adds "defending" to it, it pisses me off.

I'd love to see Lesnar go face and Reigns go heal. Have Reigns get pounded by Lesner next week and run to the authority for help, or at least have him slowly move to accept working with them. That way he won't have to speak much, and Reigns with Rollins and the rest of the authority against Lesnar at Wrestlemania would actually be great to watch.
Kryptokicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:29 am

KnightDamien wrote:
TheFallen wrote:I know this is controversial but WWE have done wonders with Brock being the champ.
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Agree with everything else you said - ESPECIALLY about the IC title. But, in my opinion, Brock being champion has been nothing but a disaster. In this day and age with WWE having a PPV every month, RAW every Monday, and Smackdown every ThursFri-Day, it is totally unacceptable, and actually damaging to the product, for -the champ- to barely ever be on the product, and to only wrestle once in a while.
We know he's 'a beast' because we're told he is. But we barely see it. In my opinion, a champion does not look credible, regardless of how big he is, if he only fights every month or three against guys that fight regularly. How is he a good champion? Because he won a single match and then doesn't defend his title for two or three ... or four [email protected]#$ months? That's the weakest champion I can think of.

Unless I'm mistaken -- WWE had THREE gosh darn PPVs, in a row, where the primary championship was not defended. That's .. disgusting. I don't even have any other word for it. Part timers should not hold titles. I don't care how big their arms are or exactly how closely they resemble a giant toddler.

What makes the entire situation worse, in my opinion, is that having your CHAMPION barely ever on your product also severely, detrimentally, devalues the Money in the Bank briefcase. The whole appeal and 'power' of being Mr. Money In The Bank is the ability to cash in any time, anywhere, after anything that might happen during the course of the various shows. But Rollins has no ability to do that because Brock is never [email protected]#$ THERE. Makes the briefcase borderline worthless.

So yeah, lots of whining, I guess. But in my opinion Brock's championship reign is the worst thing to happen since Punk left, and easily the !#%&, most product-damaging championship run in the entire history of the strap.
(I'm leaving out Backlund's run in the '90s because he lost the title days after winning it, and therefore his ridiculous title reign was too short to even matter, let alone be considered damaging - although it was also very dumb.)
You reached inside my mind and pulled out thoughts that I didn't know how to put into words.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am

I am certainly on my own as being a fan of Brock being champ. There were some great points made, especially with the MITB briefcase but I like the arrogance side of Brock being champ.

I do believe that WWE should be playing it up more and making everyone want a piece of Brock so they can get the belt back but I just like the fact that Brock holds the belt, defends it and then leaves basically saying nananana I am still the champ, see when when I am ready bitches.

I know I am alone in that thought but I don't mind. My opinions can just be the Roman Reigns of this thread :lol:

On another topic, I watched the Triple Threat again and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. If Rollins wasn't added to the match there is no way it would have been as entertaining as it was.

Rollins has become a legitimate Main Eventer and I believe he is this generations Edge. He is supremely talented and having J&J Security is perfect for him. He will be champ in 2015 but I don't think it will because he cashes in the briefcase.
Boy Wonder

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I'd like to see Rollins legit win the belt while he still has the MITB, then he could lose the belt to someone and immediately after The Authority beats down whoever won, Rollins cashes in and becomes champ again. Something different.

And don't worry, we'll be seeing Brock cheered going into Mania and Reigns booed. Whether WWE wants it or not.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 am

Reason #2375 why NXT is better than WWE:

NXT Takeover: Rival
tones
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:07 pm

is it just me or did last nights Smackdown look like they're trying to make Bryan a heel, or heel-ish anyway?

case in point, when Daniel had both Usos outside the ring and was wailing away on one of them (couldn't see whether it was Jimmy or Jey) and Roman pulled him off. WWE is obviously playing the family card and trying to get Roman over with fans, much like they did with the Rock at the Rumble. However, If you listened to the verbal exchange between Reigns and Bryan, it was Roman who was actually the voice of reason and Daniel was the loose cannon. Reigns telling Bryan "you can't win out here" is very out of character for him, as were Bryans actions. It seems like they might play up Bryans overall frustration (with the Authority) and have him be more ruthless, which isn't a bad thing character-wise.

on another note, I really feel like WWE needs to bring back some of the other championship belts. They have so many (so-called) mid-carders, that are not really doing anything. Bring back the Cruiserweight, European, and Hardcore belts and give the rest of the roster something to compete for. As far as the belt Lesnar is carrying, tbh I was hoping that at MitB 2014 Cena and Orton would simultaneously reach and take down one of the 2 belts and split them back up. I get the appeal of unification, but it's just one less opportunity for the rest of the roster.

Another abandoned idea that I thought interesting was the separate Raw and Smackdown rosters. This would even let them bring back the TV Championship from WCW. Have one each for Raw and SD, defended weekly and have the champions compete at Wrestlemania for show drafting rights, like how the MLB All-Star game determines home field advantage for the World Series.

I think one of the biggest problems lately has been story-lines in general as well as their resolutions. I feel like they miss so many opportunities for good stories and blow the majority of endings. Take the recent Ambrose/Wyatt arc, they had some great matches don't get me wrong but the fact that Dean lost the final, ambulance match was a travesty. He had recently lost the fued with Seth Rollins (even though that felt more like an abandonment rather than an ending) and Wyatt had crossed some personal lines which usually dictates a loss. The fans were split on a favorite, but at that time Wyatt could afford to lose the feud more than Dean, as it made 2 in a row for him while iirc Bray had beaten Jericho in his last.

Other recent poorly handled feuds (or missed altogether) that come to mind were Rusev/Swagger, Big Show/Mark Henry, Ziggler/Barrett, Rowan/Harper, hell Curtis Axel should be in one with Eric Rowan for what happened at the Rumble. I also feel like they should play up Wyatt's "family" as more of a evil, brainwashing deal than they do, but I think they're headed more toward the evil for his (potentially) upcoming match at WM with the Undertaker.

Obviously the writers push the heels, but you can't have the heel win constantly. At some point there has to be a payoff where the face prevails. The current "Authority always wins" pattern is getting old. Maybe that's the endgame with Sting v HHH, but i think they've dragged it out for far too long.
tones
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:24 pm

another issue that just came to mind (yes it's a slow day at work :wink:) is how they handle the Divas division. overall, they have some great talent: Naomi, Alicia Fox, Paige, AJ(?). But WWE wastes that on stereotypical "girl issue" stories. but how the (arguably) most technically sound female wrestler on the roster, Nattie, is repeatedly over-looked is shameful. It seems WWE is more interested in having her job out to whomever the flavor of the month is or wasting her completely by having her tag along with Tyson Kidd - which I have to say is very uncomfortable to sit though knowing about their marital problems as put on display om Total Divas. what can I say, my wife is hooked on the show so I hear all about it :| :lol:
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 am

tones wrote:great talent: Alicia Fox
These 2 items DO NOT COMPUTE. :lol:

She is still one of the worst on the roster. I would gladly take ALL the women in NXT if they got rid of her on the roster, and just stuck her on Total Divas, along with the No-longer-Funkadactyls and miss phony red hair.

Return to “The Bar With No Name”