Pro-Wrestling Discussion

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
hurricanebtvs
Wannabe Mod FAIL!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Pro-Wrestling Discussion

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 am

Just watched it again, and I'm not really sure how to take what she said now.

"If I filed a law suit for everytime something like that happened to me, dear god.. I'd be in court my entire adult life"

Open to interpretation I guess.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 pm
jimbles wrote: Looks like AEW and Owen Hart's family are joining up to create a tournament in honor of him. Spoiler tagging the press release:
A-waitforit-MAZING.

Absolutely wonderful and I can't wait.

While I consider it very much ancillary to how cool this is - I wonder how they'll do action figures. Owen Hart is mostly only known for wrestling in WWF. Can AEW even make figures of Owen as he appeared in WWF? Because if they can.. I also want Sting from WCW and Bret Hart from WWF in the AEW line. But also, how absolutely pissed is Mattel going to be.
From what I understand his wife and children are the people responsible for the use of his physical image which is why the WWE are not able to induct him in the hall of fame or use him in their merch outside of archival footage. They also didn't trademark anything pertaining to him because they weren't doing that at the time, so AEW can do anything they want as long as they get his wife and children's permission. As for Bret, I'm not sure if he's still under a legends contract.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:06 am

Bip wrote: From what I understand his wife and children are the people responsible for the use of his physical image which is why the WWE are not able to induct him in the hall of fame or use him in their merch outside of archival footage. They also didn't trademark anything pertaining to him because they weren't doing that at the time, so AEW can do anything they want as long as they get his wife and children's permission. As for Bret, I'm not sure if he's still under a legends contract.
That's what I figure is going on as well. It just feels like such uncharted territory for a wrestling promotion's toyline to include (potentially) a figure of a guy that never wrestled for them or for any brand they own, in attire they only wore for a rival promotion. That would be nuts if Jazwares/AEW is going to pull that off.
With Bret, I do think he's still under a Legends deal. My thinking is more along the lines of what could potentially happen when that deal is over and IF he ever signs something with AEW. It would be crazy if we could get Bret and Owen figures in their attires from their famous WWF rivalry days.... from an AEW line. Nuts, I say.

hurricanebtvs wrote: Just watched it again, and I'm not really sure how to take what she said now.

"If I filed a law suit for everytime something like that happened to me, dear god.. I'd be in court my entire adult life"

Open to interpretation I guess.
Yeah, I'm really not sure if she's being dismissive or if she's just lamenting how bad things really are and how often it's happened to her. To -me-, it sounded a lot like the way my wife talks about being sexually harassed; she hates it but she's also outright told me 'if I complained about it every time it happened, I'd never stop complaining.' Sounds familiar.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 am

Omega vs. B.D. had the crowd going crazy from bell to bell. Holy crap! Helluva match!
KnightDamien

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 am

Danielson/Omega was a damn good match. Not to say it wasn't good on its own, but it was definitely elevated by that absolutely wild crowd reaction. That kind of match, with that kind of crowd, is why I love wrestling. Going to the time limit was probably the only way out of that match that would leave everyone happy and preserve future storytelling. We get to see those two go hard, without either one being able to walk away with that big ass win.

I was also super happily surprised that they opened with D/O and allowed the women to close the show. Classy move by AEW and I'm here for it. Plus, Ruby/Baker was an excellent match.
KnightDamien

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 pm

WWE is legit just pissing me off now. It's outrageous to do a 'Queen of the Ring' tournament where two matches of the preliminaries go for -less- than a combined five minutes. And it's downright offensive that the final match will happen in [email protected]#$ SAUDI ARABIA. Like, are you kidding me? Might as well do the 'best abortion doctor' tournament finale in Texas. WWE is a disgusting company.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 pm

Completely agree. Why. The [email protected]#$!? Have the Queen be crowned in a country that does nothing but degrade women and not let them live a free life? I'm likely cancelling my cable TV after college football so I may not be seeing and wrestling after that. Though I think replays of WWE are either on Hulu or Netflix. I watch way too much TV right now.
KnightDamien

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 pm

TFitz wrote: Completely agree. Why. The [email protected]#$!? Have the Queen be crowned in a country that does nothing but degrade women and not let them live a free life?
It's just absolutely infuriating.
But also not surprising. Vince and Co. are 100% in the pocket of whoever will give them money, and the 'government' of Saudi Arabia is smart enough to use stuff like WWE to legitimize themselves and soften their image so that Americans will continue to look the other way as every major power lets Saudi Arabia do whatever it wants, including buying up billions of dollars worth of weapons while violently oppressing its people. That doesn't bother WWE brass in the slightest, and they're happy to help sanitize SA's public image in whatever way they can. Including just casually pretending Saudi Arabia isn't just one giant human rights violation in the shape of a country.

Anyway.. it's pretty [email protected]#$ bizarre that Finn was finally back on TV and they didn't even deal with the ropes breaking. Are we just left to interpret that as God's interference because 'Demons are evil?' Is that why Roman kept looking upward after it happened? Like... what the [email protected]#$ is wrong with every single person in charge of WWE television? It's absolutely wild to me that with the amount of talent WWE currently has, the only decent things they have going are Roman Reigns (who would have ever thought?) and Seth Rollins. Those are the only two that are both good workers, good actors, and are being given decent stuff to do from creative. Everyone else is just shit all over on a weekly basis.
Can't wait for Paige to come out of retirement for 3-minute matches on Main Event.

IIconics are back as The IInspiration in Impact. They'll be appearing at the PPV this month. I'm REALLY excited about that. I love those two.

AEW is better than ever. I'm really happy there's some great wrestling on TV that I can just enjoy.

TFitz wrote:I watch way too much TV right now.
I watch more TV than I should, but way less than I'd like. I have a massive backlog of shows and movies that I just don't have time for. -Especially- now that I'm watching wrestling full time again. That being said, I haven't had cable in years. There's always.... ways.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 am

Another shitty and short Queen match between 2 women most don't care about. Becky & Sasha, however, tore the house down in a superb match. Becky has added to her arsenal of moves.
KnightDamien

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm

TFitz wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 am
Another shitty and short Queen match between 2 women most don't care about. Becky & Sasha, however, tore the house down in a superb match. Becky has added to her arsenal of moves.

Becky and Sasha might be in the top 5 best female wrestlers working in the US today. Maybe even of all time. I will ALWAYS watch their matches.

Unlike Charlotte. I have no idea why people like her so much. She's [email protected]#$ terrible. The John Cena of the women's division; the worst wrestler to ever get pushed to, and held at, the very top; only able to put on a good match when someone else is doing all the heavy lifting.

Putting a [email protected]#$ CONTRACT SIGNING (omg, stop with these) as the part of your show to compete with the first half of Rampage was an incredibly bold move. I haven't heard anything about the numbers yet but I'm genuinely interested in how that worked out for them.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 am

Two solid nights of wrestling, back to back. Bryan gave Suzuki exactly the type of match that is deserving of Suzuki's clout and prestige. I really feel like Mox failed to deliver when given the same opportunity with Suzuki a few weeks back, but then he had a home town dynamic to play into, so... maybe a bit unfair. The calculus is different when you are going for those types of audience participation dynamics. This Bryan match was the crowning achievement of Suzuki's current american odyssey thus far, though.

And the follow up with Bobby Fish was great as well. They play really well off of one another and if Fish can develop himself well enough with character work to settle himself into AEW, I wouldn't mind seeing a revenge rivalry followed by something along the lines of an iron man match between these two.
KnightDamien

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm

jimbles wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 am
Two solid nights of wrestling, back to back. Bryan gave Suzuki exactly the type of match that is deserving of Suzuki's clout and prestige. I really feel like Mox failed to deliver when given the same opportunity with Suzuki a few weeks back, but then he had a home town dynamic to play into, so... maybe a bit unfair. The calculus is different when you are going for those types of audience participation dynamics. This Bryan match was the crowning achievement of Suzuki's current american odyssey thus far, though.

And the follow up with Bobby Fish was great as well. They play really well off of one another and if Fish can develop himself well enough with character work to settle himself into AEW, I wouldn't mind seeing a revenge rivalry followed by something along the lines of an iron man match between these two.
This may be an uncommon/unpopular opinion but .. Moxley isn't a good wrestler. And I think that's becoming a lot more apparent/relevant as AEW signs more high level talent and Moxley gets noticeably pushed around the show and dropped into less hyped 'feuds' (most of which aren't even long enough or have enough story involved to be considered feuds). He failed miserably in WWE because he has the charisma of a t-bone steak in a pot of cold water. And he's only ever successful and popular when he's allowed to do the only thing he's good at: gross matches that look like they take years off your career.

Moxley didn't give Suzuki a proper match is for sure. And I think it's because Suzuki's thing is 'insanely tough and scary -wrestler-' and Moxley's thing is 'insanely tough and scary -brawler-.' He just couldn't build up the technical tempo that Bryan can, and therefore wasn't actually a good fit for Suzuki despite the "two tough guys" billing.

Just my opinion, at least. But really, I could never see another Moxley match in my life and not feel like I'm missing anything because I feel like I've already seen every match he'll ever do. And he doesn't have the charisma and star power to go out there and just do the same thing every week and I'm still excited - like a Stone Cold or whatever other legend you're just excited to see in the ring.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:01 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm
And he doesn't have the charisma and star power to go out there and just do the same thing every week and I'm still excited - like a Stone Cold or whatever other legend you're just excited to see in the ring.
Take comfort in the fact that I've had the same conversation with my brother over Mox. He was what AEW needed in its early stages of development, and at the time fit a similar role to somebody like Jericho. Not a high level big motor spot-seeking fighter, but more or less a solid working name brand star that brings in viewers and gives clout to whoever they pit him against. It also helped to build a narrative of "looks like AEW got the better part of The Shield" which was important to have in carving out that early audience. That investment in Mox paid dividends for AEW, and now the people that got his rub are becoming the stewards of the week-to-week brand. But over that period of time the spotlight also brought about a sense of reality as to what fans could expect from Mox, and it's usually going to be very orthodox and by-the-numbers show enders that, dare I say it, carry a bit of WWE with them if he doesn't have someone of equal standing mixing it up.

I think Mox could benefit from a recalibration of who and what he intends to be in the show. It very well could be the time to turn him into a cheered heel. Who knows? But then, you'd have to consider how it would play out in a larger sense when you have Roman doing it with a higher level of optics and groundwork. I think it's possible Tony Khan will use the opportunity of the upcoming tournament to show us his intentions with Mox moving forward. If nothing else, the potential for Mox makes him more interesting than his fights might have seemed.
KnightDamien

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 am

I may be the only person left alive that cares about this - but it's something I noticed on a few recent WWE shows: CHAMPION ENTERS LAST. I know this is just.. tradition and there's no other real reason for it. But it still feels like WWE is disrespecting, even burying, their own champion by having them come out first. It puts the bigger spotlight on the opponent and tells the audience 'this is who you should REALLY care about, regardless of who is wearing the belt.' Bothers me to no end.

Also.. Bianca needs to stop swinging her hair around like a [email protected]#$ idiot when she's supposed to be angry/intense. I know the hair twirl is part of her character, and that's fine when she's in a good mood/excited/whatever. But if your face and eyes want me to believe 'angry/heated' - don't immediately turn around and twirl your hair around like a six-year-old. Ugh.

jimbles wrote: I think Mox could benefit from a recalibration of who and what he intends to be in the show. It very well could be the time to turn him into a cheered heel. Who knows? But then, you'd have to consider how it would play out in a larger sense when you have Roman doing it with a higher level of optics and groundwork. I think it's possible Tony Khan will use the opportunity of the upcoming tournament to show us his intentions with Mox moving forward. If nothing else, the potential for Mox makes him more interesting than his fights might have seemed.
We just finished watching last night's Dynamite and I do think a potential heel direction may be in the cards after that absolute squash match. That could absolutely be the set up for angry 'you guys don't care about me anymore' Moxley. And I mean.. that might be the only thing that could revitalize his character. He desperately needs -personality-, which he's lacked pretty much his entire career so far.
But you're spot on that 'you fans aren't giving me the respect/cheering I deserve' or 'I'm not getting the opportunities I deserve' is needle-thin close to 'acknowledge me.'

Return to “The Bar With No Name”