NFL 2022/23 season

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

NFL 2022/23 season

Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 am

A bills fan here, who just watched my team blow out the rams while having 3 turnovers.

The AFC is stacked this yr, I honestly don't see a team in the NFC even competing with a team in the AFC this yr.

I understand Tom Brady still exists but I'm not feeling them this yr. I think the season comes down to the bills and KC. I still give the edge to the Chiefs unfortunately but I hope the bills learned something from last year's loss.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Re: NFL 2022/23 season

Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm

I don't watch as much football anymore (due to CTE and off-the-field stuff), but I still follow the sport so my dad and I have something to talk about.

I'm a hopeless Panthers fan. In the absence of a Panthers playoff run (not totally impossible because the NFC sucks), I root for teams that haven't won the Super Bowl before. I have several friends who are Bills fans (and you can't top the misery of four SB defeats in a row), so that's who I've been cheering for once Carolina is eliminated. I also love watching Justin Herbert, so I'd like to see the Chargers make a run this year.

I've got the Packers over the Chargers in the SB.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Man I hope the Packers stink this year. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers can whip this group of receivers into shape or if he remains frustrated and it boils over. I always also wish ill will on the Cowboys, but I feel bad for Dak - I never want guys to be injured.

As for my team - the growing pains of adjusting to a new QB are going to be painful with a fanbase that thinks we should win everything. The defense is going to be good - but man a couple of total defensive brain farts against the Bears and some super conservative play calling cost them that game. The weather didn't help either. I'm hopeful that Lance will grow as he actually gets to play games. I'm kind of hoping the Niners pull the trigger and trade Jimmy G to the Cowboys so Lance doesn't have to continually look over his shoulder and the fan base can't howl for replacement.

And TSI - my son is a die hard Panthers fan as well. Last week's game frustrated him so much. I don't love Mayfield - I think he has some maturity issues that he hasn't conquered over the last 4 years- but I do think he's an upgrade at QB from where the Panthers have been and with the NFC the way it is - Carolina could sneak into a playoff spot. They may also crash and burn, but I don't think you can call it hopeless just yet.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:09 am

I think the 9ers are flirting with disaster. I don't think Lance is ready and this is a good way to ruin a player. The play calling was conservative because of this.

I know because I've gone through 20 plus yrs. of watching the bills do this same crap. Draft a QB, anoint him the starter and QB of the future weather he's ready or not, play a dumbed down offense and be conservative, still lose, go nowhere for 3-4 yrs. because you have so much invested in the player, 5th yr. realize we need another QB. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Josh Allen easily could've been on that long list of guys not ready. But to his credit he actually put the work in to get better.

I don't mean to sound negative but you see that crap for so long it's easy to identify.
TheSameIdiot

Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:15 am

I hate overreacting to week one, but I already hate my Packers/Chargers pick. I tried to get cute with an NFC team (because frankly I don't like any of them) and I think the Bills are pretty easily the best team in football. I figured the best team doesn't always win, and the Bills are almost a cliche pick at this point. Given a chance to pick again, I'd say Buffalo over San Francisco.

With QBs, I think they either have it or don't. Sometimes someone can put the work in and go from good to otherworldly (Josh Allen), but I largely think these guys translate to the pros or they don't. In the modern age, it's so rare that these guys become great after a season or two. (I would make an exception for Justin Fields because he's in such a shitty situation and because I'm an Ohio State homer.) I don't want to throw in the towel on Lance, but I don't think he has it. The sooner Shanahan abandons him for Jimmy G's steady hand, the sooner they can start winning again.

The Panthers loss last weekend was hugely frustrating. I think they can still make the playoffs even after losing a game they should've won. 100pts accidentally described their current situation perfectly. They went all-in on Teddy Bridgewater, then Sam Darnold (a move I vehemently opposed from the start), and now Baker. I'm actually fine with Baker. He's probably about the 20th best QB in the league. You can win with him, but the rest of your roster needs to be perfect. Carolina's... is not that. They should've fired Rhule, bottomed out, and rode Darnold to a 2-15 record. I'd rather draft Stroud, Young, or Levis and see if you caught lightning in a bottle. Like the NBA, the worst place to be is the wheel of mediocrity.

You don't need a star QB, but it makes things much easier. Winning with a mediocre QB has become increasingly rare. A few years ago, SF came with a play with Jimmy G game managing. Nick Foles had a Joe Flacco-style career-best playoff run to power the Eagles. Prior to that, it was Noodle Arm Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl I refuse to talk about. That Denver defense was an all-time unit.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:48 pm

So I'm completely disgusted by the Tua situation. He shouldn't have been out there even if he wanted to be, it was clear and evident he suffered a concussion in the previous game and knowing what we know now about concussions the dolphins and the NFL should be held accountable. We shouldn't have to watch a guy die on the field.

Sure the easy thing to say is don't watch but how about what's right is right? I'm one who enjoys the brutality of the game and fully understand these guys know what they sign up for when they decide to play. But again knowing what we now know... He shouldn't have been out there and all parties involved need to be held accountable.
TheSameIdiot

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:20 pm

At least once a year, the NFL reminds me why I stopped watching. We're up to twice in like two months with Watson and Tua.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:03 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:20 pm
At least once a year, the NFL reminds me why I stopped watching. We're up to twice in like two months with Watson and Tua.
And that's what sucks for the fans that love the game.

Watson really shouldn't be allowed to play the game for just being a moron, seriously just get a prostitute dude!

But Tua shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. It was uncomfortable to watch. And now I feel guilty for still wanting to watch the game. I don't want to see players get hurt ever, that one was avoidable.

The worst thing about this is in a week it'll be swept under the rug.

Like the Ray Rice situation.

Return to “The Bar With No Name”