3D printed customs: Amazon!

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 3D printed customs: Conan girl and Knee joints.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 am

Hey, yes, either the 6 or 7 inch skulls would work on Marvel legends I'd say. A lot of 6 and 7 inch figures from different lines seem to have about the same head size, so I don't think it would matter much.
The ball joints would most likely not fit of course.

Hinged jaw is no so far. I can't find a good way to make joints that small print reliably. There will be skeleton heads with different expressions instead.

As with the female figures, the different skulls will be available separately too.

The problem with people not reading happens when you have something like an image of a whole figure, but the joints are not included, which wouldn't be obvious at first glance in a render.

Finished the Conan girl... gonna start needing names for them I think...
If I'm motivated tomorrow, I'll give her a ceremonial knife and a small holster for it on the back of the belt.

Loincloth won't be included, it's just there to suggest where some cloth should be glued on, but to each their own...

Senshi
I wish I had super powers

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 am

Long time lurker but Strangefate, I just wanted to say I think the work you are doing is AMAZING! I really think this is the future of customization, technology just needs to catch up to your pioneering. Keep it up. I will definitely be ordering from shape ways soon!
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks a lot Senshi :)

Got the skeleton test print today! ...images below.
Overall very happy with it but... I'll be doing another test print. There's some small things needing a fix:
1. The mass around the head ball joint socket prevents it from warping, making it really tough to plug the head into the neck ball (almost broke it's spine, but hey, it's very tight I suppose).
2. The lower part of the double knee joint is a bit loose... which shouldn't be, but it is.
3. want to beef up the top of the shoulder just a bit (better visually).
4. want to beef up the elbows a bit too.

Also got the Shields test prints today!
Very happy with the shields too, lots of detail on them (which can't really be seen on my photos... too much white). I'll try to paint them this weekend.
They work great with MOTU male hands and the grip part can be removed to use other (yet to be designed) grips for other figures.
Surprisingly, the skeleton which I printed with 2 'evil claw' hands was able to hold the shield pretty well too, so I'll probably tweak the claw to hold it even better, that way I can leave the left hand a claw and the right one can have a regular sword grip. I thought I'd have to include a swappable left grip hand to be able to hold a shield.

Also got an Email from shapeways today.
Basically, they're changing their pricing structure as of the 8 of October. They'll charge less for material and more for size (used machine space) and more for the amount of parts per file (2 bucks for each loose part or item in the file).

What this means is that single items, or items with 2 - 3 parts (like 2 swords per file and such) will be cheaper. They've enabled the new prices internally so while you can't see the new prices yet, I can.

There's a good, bad and ugly side to this...

The good is that, all the items on my shop (excluding complete action figures) will be 2 to 5 bucks cheaper, which is great. Heads and swords and the shields will all be 3 bucks cheaper on average.
This change makes it more realistic to do larger items... weapons, bigger shields etc as material is rather cheap now (or will be).

The bad is that items with lots of parts (like my action figures) get rather punished as they have so many parts.
Right now a complete figure around $55 will be around $70 after the 8th.

The ugly is that I did some testing already and since the amount of parts is killing the price for the figures, I have to counter this by spruing all the parts together... or so I thought.
The machine space charge applies per part and spruing everything together creates bigger parts of course, so I lower the charge for multiple parts but get charged for having large parts instead.

Anyway, after 10 mins of moving and spruing parts around I found a happy balance and was able to lower the price to $56 (from around $70)... If I spent the time to pack the sprued chunks closer together I could probably save another 1-3 bucks.

So, for me this means that I should be able to keep figure prices about the same as they are now (which is a bit sad as I was rather excited about the cheaper material prices at first).
The painful part will be having to go through all the figure variants and sprue them together,... and reupload them.

On the bright side, since I'm gonna do this anyway, I figure I can update all the figures to use the latest body with the improved articulation, anatomy tweaks etc and I imagine it will take me the better part of october... I'll continue doing shields and weapons as they're quick to do in between (and I'll fix/finish the skeleton) but new figures and skeleton variants will have to wait a bit.

Anyway, enough boring stuff, some photos of the prints!

BigKid
HULK SMASH!

Re: 3D printed customs: Skeleton+shields prints+Pricing chan

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 am

Oh my aching heart. Out of all the figures I have bought this year, and this includes the Raven set I will soon receive from the Four Horsemen, it is these skeletons that I want the most. Having just read your post, Strangefate, I can see these will be expensive to army build.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:45 am

Currently the 7 inch skeleton comes to around $35 and I'm hoping that smart spruing and packing of parts will allow me to keep it around the same price. The fact that part numbers and machine space will factor more into the the price than the material used (as it is now) might hurt it a bit, but I hope not by much, worst case.

The one side effect of the changes they're doing is that there's no advantage in combining parts into 1 model, meaning that selling each bone separately comes to about the same price as selling it as 1 (not really as spruing smartly does save money, but you get the idea).
This means that it would make sense to sell chunks separately, like legs, torso, head and arms and let people just buy and combine the parts they want, rather than getting a complete skeleton just to get some nice shoulder pads or boots.

We'll see.
BigKid
HULK SMASH!

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Actually, $35 is not too bad. I must have mixed the pricing up with some of your heavier figures.
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 pm

man, i hope you're making some scratch off this strangefate, there's a limit to how much labor love should elicit. but know that you are a damned pioneer, you are the jedidiah springfield of toys and we appreciate it!
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Lol, I had to google up Jedidiah Springfield, thanks, keeps me motivated :)

Well, I'm sure it will one day pay for itself *fingers crossed*, right now I've made about 1/5 of what I've put into it so far. What makes it okay is that I only have to do the work once (in theory) and then items can sell for years hopefully, and eventually they'll make it worth the time spent.
Items I did back in February still sell as good as any new items.

Around 3/5 of the money I've put into this stuff was all just to figure out the initial articulation for the female, since then everything has been easier so the whole hobby has gotten a lot cheaper since then and hopefully things will catch up in time :)

Worst case, I can always play with the prices of some things although I'd rather keep things cheap and more accessible... compared to some other shops on shapeways with swords and similar things, I'm sure they make 5 to almost 10 times more per sale than I do, I just find it hard to charge $15 or $20 bucks for an unpainted item that prints for $8 ...I'd almost expect a full toy figure at that price range... but then again, people seem to have gotten used to paying those prices for 3rd party toys and accessories.

Anyway, Skeleton tweaks are done and I should be ordering the hopefully last test print this weekend, along with the Conan female to test the joint changes there before I start to update all other figures with them.
Also started painting the shields last night, they're fun.
Matthew K
nah, pass

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:55 pm

The shields and skeleton look AMAZING! I love the way both the MOTUC figure and the skeleton look holding the shields. I cannot wait to order. I appreciate all your efforts to keep the prices down too. I'm thinking your skeleton is going to be massively popular, especially with all the cool variations and gear you have designed to customize each warrior.
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 am

probably would have helped had i spelled it correctly... jebediah springfield. could have sworn it was jed, but oh well... if you googled, you got the right info. :D

i am a little taken aback by the cost of some of the other shapeways stores... i get it, i guess, for complex pieces, or big pieces, but like, seeing what some people ask for a sword that is no bigger than the swords you sell as a 2 pack... you're either losing your shirt, or they are gouging us somewhat. ouch. i'm fine with them charging that much but then, i'm not fine spending that much, so i only turn out for really unique pieces and the rest are but exotic eye candy.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:29 am

Dayraven - According to my extensive depth 5 minute research, Jedediah was I think the name of the grandson (or whoever was the living offspring from Jebediah) so the name was still right enough :geek:

The prices... yeah, it's somewhat tough to know what a good price is. The average MOTU weapon takes about an hour to do and you only have to do the work once per weapon, after that it can sell a 1000 times, I don't have to do anything anymore besides take the money, therefore low prices should be OK I think, since I do little work per piece. Test prints do cost when they need to be done of course :/

3rd party toys have the dilemma of whether they should produce in large numbers which are cheaper to produce and try to sell cheap and hope there's enough interest to sell the whole batch, or do a small expensive batch and hope there's enough interest for them to sell at high prices.

With 3D printing the risk doesn't exist, so it's really just down to how much you think people will pay, and whether you believe you can make more by selling less for more, or more for less... don't know myself to be honest. Wish shapeways had numbers besides all items saying how many they sold :)

Matthew K - Thanks!
Shields will be going up over the course of next week. I've also started working on some heavier looking weapons that should look on MOTU... with the cheaper material prices next week it's more reasonable to do bigger stuff, to some extent.

Took some pictures of the painted shields:
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Re: 3D printed customs: Painted shields!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:33 am

The new pricing system has been enabled at shapeways now!!

Prices dropped from $1 to $10 depending on the item. Prices had to be lowered by hand so there's a good chance most of shapeways will look the same it did yesterday until everybody updates their shops' prices... if they do.

Since you pay less for material and more for space/volume used and loose parts per model now, a very few items stayed where they were as things simply balanced each other out, going up or down a few cents. (mostly packs of things or rather thin items).

All the items that became more expensive are currently 'not for sale' until I go through them and add sprues or in some cases brake up the items into smaller packs, whichever comes out cheaper.

All the action figure bodies are offline too until I add sprues and update them to the latest v1.3 body like said.

On a side note... I took the loose body parts I had on the shop offline too, even tho most of them got almost $10 cheaper without doing anything to them.

I did some quick first grade math and with the new pricing system, putting a figure together now from loose parts (legs/torso/arms/head) comes to a price equal (4 cents more expensive) than the full figure was before with the old pricing system.
Before, putting a figure together by buying the loose body parts, came to around $10-$15 more than just buying the complete figure.

Now, as I sprue things together into sensible chunks, everything will become cheaper, which gives me some hope that I may be able to not only bring the price of the full figures down to what they were, but to make them 5 - 10 bucks cheaper as a whole too. I'll find out for sure when I prepare the Conan girl for the test print this week.

Likewise, building your own custom figure design from separate parts should cost the same too in the future, making the whole interchangeable parts shop idea a good idea again... lots of 'should' and 'hope'.

SHIELDS are all up too now! :)
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Re: 3D printed customs: Cheaper shapeways prices are up!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:03 am

Was in the mood today to do a new 2 handed hammer (it's in the shop too already, too) for MOTUC figures...
The cheaper strong and flexible prices are better now for bigger, cooler stuff :)

Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:34 am

Waiting for skeleton and tweaked female test prints...
All items on the shapeways shop aside from the action figures themselves should be up again by now (unless I forgot something).

Finished the first geared skeleton. He has hooks on his back and 1 side of the belt (which you can't see in the image) similar like the female barbarian girl I did, which will allow him (and all other geared skeletons) to carry whatever gear they please.
They'll be able to carry 2 handed weapons and arrows and banners on their back and 1 handed weapons on the side... or vice versa if you prefer, can just hook them up anywhere.

I did a first banner which skeletons can hold in their hand or carry on the hook on their backs.
That said, depending on the gear, some hooks are on angles which may not be idea for banners...

Also started a Lich King kinda skeleton. He'll have scrolls and skulls hanging from his waist and chains... lots of chains. Ignore the lack of detail on the skeleton, it's turned down to work faster.

And a 2 handed axe for MOTU (and skeletons!) using the handle from the hammer I did before.

mrhoyo
HULK SMASH!

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 am

These all look awesome, just two observations on the top one:
The shape of the lower part of the helmet makes it look a bit like the skeleton has a bob hair cut.
If the skeleton comes with the boots I think it may be best if they don't have holes as standard. It would bug me if I ordered more than one and they all had the same hole in the right boot.

Just my observations but I'm really looking forward to them being available.

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”