Army Alphas - Cryptid Toys

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Hagop
Pietro's Running Mate
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Army Alphas - Cryptid Toys

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm

I don't know if there was a thread for this Kickstarter which may have been lost. But anybody have any information on this? I understand how difficult it can be to get something like this off the ground, but there hasn't been an update posted in over a year now. Has anybody here tried getting a refund? Any other news or scuttlebutt?
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Army Alphas - Cryptid Toys

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Nothing at all since January of last year when he offered refunds and then promptly disappeared into the ether. Hopefully you didn't pledge too much because this project is super dead.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 pm

This [email protected]#$ project is the entire reason I only purchased 3 Plunderlings (with accessories), which I am now super-mad about. I'd have an army of Plunderlings otherwise. Didn't want to risk several hundred dollars.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 pm

I feel your pain in wanting more Plunderings. That said, Plunderings had a social media campaign going before their Kickstarter and was interacting with people a bunch, so they were more on their ball than the Army Alphas guy. Granted, I thought the Army Alphas KS campaign had a polished presentation (images were really nice). Too bad this thing imploded.
GrumpyMatt
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 pm

TFitz wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 pm
This [email protected]#$ project is the entire reason I only purchased 3 Plunderlings (with accessories), which I am now super-mad about. I'd have an army of Plunderlings otherwise. Didn't want to risk several hundred dollars.
I'm in the exact same boat - not that I sunk a whole lot into Army Alphas, but the aftermath has definitely kept me from investing very much into other projects (or skipping them altogether) on Kickstarter, especially first timers.

I pumped a lot of money into Maurader's first couple campaigns and went all-in on Boss Fight's first project and they turned out great but I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable enough to pony up that kind of cash for a Kickstarter again.

I'm so glad I at least ordered a few Plunderlings, though.
GrumpyMatt
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm

Also, I'm really hoping we don't have a Sunok Studios Hell Screamerz thread like this, but I'm really getting worried on that one.

I had to look it up — project was funded on Dec. 4, 2016.

Yikes
Slaker
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 pm

The creator's "Super Articulated Blanks" project from 2017 also never materialized. It seemed like extremely bad form to start a second campaign before proving he could deliver on the first.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 am

Slaker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 pm
The creator's "Super Articulated Blanks" project from 2017 also never materialized. It seemed like extremely bad form to start a second campaign before proving he could deliver on the first.
Many people thought that, but the creator's reasoning at the time was the factory was willing to give him a deal to do both lines at once, so it would save money in the long run.

I was actually the opposite. I only backed for maybe 2-3 of the skeletons and one of the blanks, but got almost all the Plunderlings.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:14 am

It's my opinion that this project just totally melted down and BG was in over his head. I don't think there was anything malicious about it, or intentional. But it really is a damn shame. These could have been cool figures and it doubly sucks that this is turning people off from Kickstarters.

Personally, I don't think that will really happen for me. Every project and creator is different. You gotta just use your best judgement and know that sometimes even something that looks promising isn't going to work out. Obviously, I'm still a lot more likely to pump large amounts of money into creators I know or that have a good track record, and less into the more questionable stuff, but I don't ever want to just avoid the questionable stuff because.. well.. Boss Fight and Chicken Fried and Plunderlings were all 'questionable' in some way or another at first.

Also.. I'd be surprised if Hell Screamerz make it out. There's been more progress there than Army Alphas, of course. Lots of photos of unpainted 'blank' type figures and all that. But that project seems to constantly be stumbling and the creator is... difficult. I think that one is slowly crashing and burning as well (and I take no joy in that... those looked really cool even though I ended up not going in on them).
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm

I'm hoping we get a good update on the Screamerz after this Chinese New Year. I can't remember if Solomon got his project in the hands of the Chris Gawrych (sp?) guy that wrangled all the other 18th KS projects that were floundering. If so, those are gonna be some great figures. If not, ce la vie...

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”